Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to finish up work??

Default When to finish up work??

Hi there,

I was wondering if there is a 'Normal' time frame to finish up before your due date?

i am due on the 24th June and was going to finish up work on the 27th May which gives me 4 weeks, is this too long?

i really want to get it organised with work so its one less thing i have to do but im just not sure.

thanks

Dee

kirsty Guest

I think everyone is different in regards to what time frame they set for themselves in regards to starting maternity leave.

I for one am giving up very early on, when I am 21weeks to be exact. But this is due to previous complications in my pg's. So we are doing what is best for me.

Hope you get some other insights to help you make up your mind.

I'm finishing end of next week which makes me just over 27 weeks - but I am having twins.
    Last few days my back pain is so bad I can hardly walk so I'm glad I had arranged to finish next week no way I go on much longer

kerry Guest

I'm finishing next friday, unless bigfoot makes his or her appearance before then. If I could have afforded to I would probably have finished off about 6-8 weeks before my edd but finances aren't great and I really had no other option.

As Fletch said some workplaces require you to finish up in a certain time frame eg 6 weeks before EDD or require a letter from your doctor explaining when you can continue til.

With my first it was probably about 4 weeks (say 36weeks) before my EDD that I stopped although I didn't feel too bad just huffy puffy when walking too far and sick of crowded public transport but ended up having DS at 38.5 weeks so glad I didn't leave it too close.

These days though most employers and doctors seem pretty negotiable dependent on your medical situation. Have known lots of people that tried to hang on for as long as possible but when it got closer they were just too big tired and sore to be bothered going closer than 4/6 weeks. It really is an individual thing

I am planning on finishing on the 24th March and bub is due on the 7th April - so by my calculations will put me at 38 weeks. I am in a similar situation, if finances allowed I would love to give it up right now!! But sadly cant happen!

When I was pg with Nicholas I finished up working when I was 35 weeks.

Everyone is different and as long as you feel you can work up until you are 36 weeks and your Dr/OB/Midwife doesn't see a problem with it then go for it.

Hi there

I finished work at 32 weeks and am very thankful I did...

I had a pretty stressful job and it has taken me until this week to finally wind down.

However having said that - I had 3 weeks annual leave owing to me at the time so that definitely helped

good luck

dianna

With my first pregnancy i finished at 35 weeks. I had every intention of working up until 38 weeks, but i guess having a stressful and busy job got the better of me - i too had some annual leave and flexi days saved up which helped.

Good Luck...

My Ob likes his girls to finish at 36 weeks unless or ealiter for twins or if you are experiencing a medical problem ( high blood pressure etc) .. So my last day a work was full of tears! I was out of there for 1 year.. YEAH... and my due date came and went .. i was induced 1 week over...

At the time when i was sitting around at home and at the shops spending money i wished that i was still at home.. but after i had my DD i was glas that i had been at home for 5 weeks before she was born as i was able to do a great clean of the house and be a good wife and really indulge my husband with dinner on the table each evening when he got home ( this did not happen when i was working! )

Every one is different , most of my friends want to work as long as possible so they stay at home longer before going back to work after the MAT leave is over..

I worked till 37 1/2 weeks. Too long really. Work itself was not the problem, it was the travelling to and from. I found public transport really draining. Mornings were fine as I always got a seat, but by the afternoon people were so much ruder and I normally had to stand.

I was so tired by the time I got to be at home, I got nothing done, all I did was sleep.

Dee, I was very much like you. DS was due on 27/6 so I finished work on the 27/5 last year. I found this was a good length of time for me to finish doing all the things around the house I wanted to do, sort out his room, get some extra sleep and do some cooking for the freezer.

I also have an 8yo so I needed to have enough energy to run around after her.

It's very hard to predict how you will feel that far in advance, so you can only go by how you're feeling now.

There were times when I thought I could have worked another week or two, but I'm glad I stopped when I did.

Hope you can wort out the right time for you.

Felix Guest

Default time at home

Hi Dee,

I gave up work on 30/12/05 and am due on 13/2/06, so 6 weeks before my EDD.

Work was a long drive for me and I had 5 weeks of annual leave saved up so it wasnt too bad. Also I hadnt had a holiday in a long time so for me its a rest that has been long-time coming.

It feels great being at home right now relaxing before bub arrives but hard trying not to spend money.

It really is a matter of choice about when you want to work up to.

Good luck with it.

With DS i was working f/t and i finished up with 5 weeks to go....luckily i was admitted to hospital with PE in my first week off work, allowed home for the weekend then readmitted till i had him at 37 weeks.

With this one i was only doing two regular days a week with a bit extra over xmas, so i finished up last saturday at 32 weeks. I know this little one will be at least three weeks early so i just wanted time to myself once preschool has gone back to relax!!

I spose it all depends on finance, yours and babys health and what else is happening in your life.

Cee_Cee99 Guest

I'm finishing 4 weeks before my EDD. My boss said that if I want to work an extra week or two he is happy for me to do so, that I should just wait and see what I feel like. I know not everyone is as lucky as that, and even though I have the offer to keep working, I think I will be happy to stop at 36 weeks.... I'm thinking of it as I'm last holiday for a very long time!!!!!!!!!! I inted to stock pile the freezer with meals, clean out all the cubpoards, etc etc.... but I will probably just lay on the couch and watch DVD's! I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi there.
    I am finishing at 34 weeks - I haven't had a holiday in over a year - so i told gav that i wanted some time to myself and to fill the freezer with food and stuff, really clean the house.
    I am really looking forward to the break!

Jacci

HEY DEE

I FINISHED UP WORK WITH MY FIRST ABOUT 8 WEEKS BEFORE SHE WAS DUE AS YOU GET REALLY TRIED IN THE LAST MONTHS AND SO I COULD REST WHILE I COULD AND WHEN I CAME TO DELIVER HER I WAS RELAXED AND PROPERED SO WHEN YOU THINK YOUR READY TO LEAVE WORK DO IT DONT OVER DO YOUR SELF IN LAST MONTHS AND DONT GET RUN DOWN AS IOT WILL MAKE YOU MORE TRIED WHEN ITS TIME TO GIVE BIRTH

Fee Guest

I know it's still a while off for me yet but I have been thinking about a finish date already! At my work you need a letter from your OB if you want to work past 34 weeks.

I'm thinking of working up to 36 weeks - or maybe even more. We just don't have the money for me to finish up too early.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast