Thread: When they say "put your feet up"

Default When they say "put your feet up"

how "up" should they be?

Is it OK to put them on a footstool? Or should I actually have them elevated... most of the time when they are getting quite swollen (this heat is a shocker today) I'll sit on a chair and put my legs on the seat of another chair, or sit up on the couch with my back on the arms rather than the back of the couch, so my legs are extended on the couch cushions (it's not as complicated as I've just made it sound, obviously! Sometimes I lie on the floor on my back and rest my calves on the couch, that seems to help but it's then quite hard to do anything else (eat, drink, read or watch TV, etc).

Just wondering people's thoughts...

they should be above your heart from what i can remember...

Yes, they should be above the level of your heart - so wherever you are most comfortable, do what you can to get them above your heart. I had to put my feet up as much as possible when I was pregnant last summer (due to varicose veins) and so I would lay flat on the lounge with my legs on a stack of pillows. I hope that helps...

i had the same instructions with my first pregnancy. i just laid on the bed or lounge with pillows under feet. my DH also used to massage them!!!!!

I'm finding the whole putting your feet up quite difficult as I am very uncomfy on my back and I can feel it cutting off my blood supply (and therefore also the baby's). I've taken to lying on my side on a mat on the floor and sticking one leg at a time up on a footstool.

Good idea Caro - I'll see if that makes it better.

thanks for all your replies - had a friend over and she also suggested a yoga pose we used to do when we went to classes together, kind of similar to what you suggest, caro, and that seems to help. Today is cooler and seems to be making a difference. They're a little painful when they get swollen but I think mostly it is vanity I liked my skinny feet and I miss them!! besides not fitting into shoes, of course...