Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whoppa size baby on the way!!!

Default Whoppa size baby on the way!!!

Hi ladies and middies

I dont know what im looking for, but maybe just some reassurance that ill get through this pregnancy ok or at least in one piece!!!!.

I went for an ultrasound the otherday, for the 34 week one. And the ultrasoundist said the baby is already measuring 37weeks, ie is a large baby, its weight is already 3.5 kilos, around 7 pounds!!!!. She said there is no way the doctors should let me get to full term, which is less than 5 weeks, because by then bubs will be over 10 pounds.

Yesterday i went to see my shared cared midwife and doctors, and they had the ultrasound results, which said im in the 97 percentile, (what ever that means), and despite this, i sould be right to reach full term and give birth to a big baby. Simply basing it on the fact because this is my 3rd pregnancy, and that my 2nd child was over 9 pounds!. (so im pre-stretched)

Geez, im just wondering how big is toooo big????lol Dose this seem fair??..she said if it was my first child, then more options may be open for me, so that no damage like tearing and such. But im thinking, why cant i get a c-section?..i know its going to be torturous!.

I dont know, im thinking i cant hack it.

Some one just shoot me!lol

Mel

My son was 4.3kgs when born. They told me he was going to be 5.2kg or more. The scans are not very accurate as far as I am concerned.

Besides, your body will not allow bub to grow to a size that your body can't handle. Have faith that your body knows what it is doing.

I had a scan at 36 weeks and my OB said I was going to have an 8lb'er. DS turned out to be 7lb 4oz so nowhere near 8lb.

Why would your Dr want to induce you? Women give birth to 10lb babies everyday. My first son was 9lb 7oz and he was as difficult to deliver as my 7lb 9oz daughter and my 7lb 10oz son... so there is no reason why you can't deliver a healthy 10lb baby too.
    Just have faith in your body... you said you have delivered a 9lb baby before... it will be no different to delivering that baby.... it could actually be easier because you have BTDT before.
    That said, I was told the whole was through my pregnancy with Harrison that I was measuring large for dates, and told my baby would be a huge one... one midwife was a little worried about it too... but as it turned out, he was a healthy 7lb 10oz baby, not the gigantic baby they had imagined him to be.

Yeah given your last bubba was a 9lb'er I wouldn't expect you to be having a small baby.

BUT I wouldn't trust an u/s weight guess for the life of me. At 41 weeks I saw the OB who said "I don't think you have a 4kg baby in there" (my first was 4kg) and I said great, but I had to have a scan to try to postpone induction... the scan showed a 10lb 11oz baby. So the OB's at the hospital told me I had to have a c/s. I refused, went into spontaneous labour 2 days later & had a 4kg baby or 8lb 13oz. No where near what the scan showed.

To get a weight guess, the sonographer measures the femur bone in the baby. And uses a ratio with the head circumference. Not the amount of padding . So length vs head = weight guess. Which was inaccurate by almost 2lbs for me.

I was told that Molly Jane was in the 97th percentile too, she turned out to be 8lb6 (3.8kg).

I ended up with an emerg c/s (not to do with her size)i i can tell you that it is no fun at all. its difficult to pick up your bubs, there is so many more complications and the pain for the next few weeks is not something i would like to have with more than one bubba around to look after.

you have given birth before, you and your body knows exactly what to do - dont think too much about the size, as the other girls have said, its not that accurate

Goodluck, you will be fine

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I measured 3-4 weeks ahead in size throughout my pg to Charlie and he was born 7lb 14oz, so not a big bubba at all. He did have a big head, though - 39cms, but my FS said that at 34 weeks all they can measure is the femur and the head circumference as they can't see the entire baby, so no one will ever be able to give you an accurate determination of how big your baby is at that stage of your pregnancy.

And as Lisa said, delivering a 8lb 1oz (DS3) and a 6lb 2oz (DD) was equally difficult for me (or easy depending on whether you're a half-full sort of person) and women routinely birth 10lbs all the time (my MIL was one). I have also heard of heaps and heaps of women in this very forum who've been convinced to have a c/s due to a 'big' baby only to have normal sized babies, so I am understandably dubious about most claims from medicos of 'huge' babies.
    Last edited by sushee; May 9th, 2008 at 01:53 PM.

Yep i agree, your body and your baby should know what to do, i wouldnt stress too much about what they say.

Heres a stressfull one for you - my god sister's first baby was 13 pounds! She was HUGE.

I had growth scan last week to be told bubs was about 3.6 kilo and I had 2 weeks to go. They said they have about 600 gram discrepancy either way.
    I think if you have given birth to a 9 pound you should be able to birth this bubs.
    I had emergency c section and they are not an easy alternative. Although I had an awesome recovery there are so many things you shouldnt do like drive for 6 weeks, which if you have other kids, may be difficult.
    I would see how you go, play it by ear and if you end up with c section then I guess it was meant to be.

Sorry to seem a downer, but I am a small-built woman, only 5 foot tall (and 47kg pre 1st pregnancy) and my FIRST baby was 9lb 1oz (4.1kg) - which I delivered naturally although with an epesiotomy ... plus he was 56cm long at birth ...

Hi, my babies weights were pretty much the same,1st born son =3.4kg, 2nd born son =3.5kg, 3rd born daughter =3.1kg , 4th born son =3.6kg and our fifth baby son born in dec`07,was my first c-section and only weighed 3.7kg, I was told that ultrasounds arn`t that accurate later in pregnancy, and because iam over weight the doctors told me my baby was going to be at least 10 pounds and because my fourth son`s shoulders got displaced,they recommended a c-section,this was the pits,so painful and long recovery,give me natural child birth any day. Anyway if a ultrasound can`t give us precise measurements what would a doctor know! Also that stupid measurement Fundal height mine was always out 3-4 weeks and none of my babies were ever 10 pounds. Cheers!

Hi Butterflyz
    This is an extract form the Australasian Society for Ultrasound in Medicine

'No formula for estimating fetal weight has achieved an accuracy which enables us to recommend its
    use.'

So even they say that you cannot accurately measure baby’s weight by ultrasound.

They told me Imran was going to be a baby elephant - he was big but he wasn't an elephant

Geez, im just wondering how big is toooo big????lol Dose this seem fair??..she said if it was my first child, then more options may be open for me, so that no damage like tearing and such. But im thinking, why cant i get a c-section?..i know its going to be torturous!.
    WTF???? More options? if this was the first bub then they would be taking away any options you have for future births. And thats not to mention the 'damage' done to your uterus from surgical birth.

Think of it this way - how would you feel if they talked you into a surgical birth because of your ginormous baby and the baby only turned out to be an average size? I know I would be FURIOUS!!!! Honestly, you are being given a bum steer with this and I would tell them that you are fully capable of birthing a large baby considering you have done it before. My last baby was 59cm long with a 37cm head circ at birth-if I had of had a dating scan late in pg, I shudder to think of how big their 'estimation' would have put him at (and yes, he was over 10lb too).

There should be a law against sizing scans.

Hi - i agree with most of the posts in here so nothing new to add there BUT

Instead of worrying about size (3rd bubba, you will be fine) be thankful and very happy that your placenta has obviously been healthy and doing its job in growing a beautiful baby.. Welldone. That is what I told myself after my son (first) was born at 4.15kg

As someone who had to have an Unnecesarean due to "distress" from my baby being "too big" and then went on to birth a baby 10 oz bigger (9lb 11oz) with no tearing or any problems related to size at all. Size means NOTHING. As my ob said to me a woman can struggle with a 5lber when another slips out a 10lber with ease. It depends on how educated you are (with regards to active birth, positioning etc) as to how well your birth goes. It doesn't have to be torturous at all. Put it this way if you had weak muscles in your ankle would you chop your foot off? Or would you do exercises to strengthen it up?

i was told at the ultrasound that my baby looked to be about 7 pnds 7oz.
    he came out vaginally and was 10 pnds 3 oz.....
    you'll be fine you've done it all before, like the others have said

Honestly hun - it doesn't matter if they're 5lbs or 10lbs - when they come out they all hurt.

I'm not trying to be cute, there is no difference in terms of pain birthing a larger baby than a smaller one.

As far as the ultrasound estimation of weight...pfft it's more likely to be wrong than right.

And even if it IS right - you have previously birthed a baby only one pound less than that. Your body can do this, give it that chance. A caesarean is no picnic, no matter what they tell you about how "good" and "easy" they are these days. They hurt. You can't roll over in bed or get up without help for a good week. You can't pick up your older children for much longer. You will have a scar on your belly for the rest of your days. Caesarean surgery IS major. Wonderful things for women who need them...but on the face of it you don't. Don't put yourself through all that on a "maybe".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast