Thread: Worried

Silvi Guest

Default Worried

Background > My mum went through 2 c-sections which lead to complications (infections and so on) due to the fact that both my brother and I were large babys..and she was concerned with me having a c-section.

Now I went to my OBGYN on tuesday and he told me that bubs is gonna be a big boy (he measured my belly and felt bubs), he advised me that If I were concerned I should have an ultrasound to determine his exact size...if they can that is...

I'm nervous and scared with the possibility of having a c-section...

Can anyone shed some light on thier expierince with having a c-section....

Thanks in Advance...

I had an elective cs with DS. I found the exp fine. It obviously is a little painful after, but you are given all the pain killers you need. I was up the next day looking after bubs, (and for the rest of the time i was in hosp). The best advice i could give to you, is to take advantage of the nurses, so that you can get over the op fully, so that it is easier when you get home. They do recommend getting up the next day, to improve circulation etc.
    You'll be fine, cos once you have that baby in your arms, you wont care how you had it.
    Good luck.
    BTW - I was told i was having a big baby too, and he turned out 6pd 14oz! So quite small really.
    If you have any specific questions about cs, let me know and i will try to answer them for you.

I had an emergency c/s with Mackenzie and it was fine. In fact I didn't have much pain and have been advised that the next one will need to be c/s as well. I'm more than happy with this as I don't handle pain at all and found the c/s fairly easy. My recovery was great and the worst thing for me was having to be shaved - oh the itiching afterwards!

My first pg went from a medically required c/s to an elective one. In that, I had placenta prevaia which "appeared" to have moved enough for a vaginal birth, around 36 wks. But we decided not to risk it, and did the c/s. It was a great experience for me. Wonderful, I wasn't stressed at all, had bubs with an apgar of 10 each time, fed her in the recovery room...... I just stayed on the pain medication until I went home, used panadol when I was home and had a great recovery. I think it is important to have a detailed conversation with both your hospital and ob about what they do....

Best of luck....

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Silvi,

I was also told that my baby was big, but my obs firmly believed that that is not a reason to immediately require a c-section. If you aren't keen to have one, discuss this with your ob. Women routinely deliver 10lb plus babies vaginally, and having had 4 children, I honestly can't say that there was much difference pushing out a 6lb 2oz baby or a 8lb 1oz baby. In fact, the 8lb 1oz labour was the easiest!

I too am scared of c-sects!

Silvi,
    I understand that the thought of a c-section can be daunting. I never wanted to have one. My third pregnancy went absolutely fine and I had no problems. She was always showing to be on the big side though. My OB said I should have an U/S at 37 wks to help determine size. The U/S showed that she would weigh 4.7kg plus or minus 10%. We decided to be induced at 38 wks as she could grow another 250g per wk. I had gel applied three times and it didn't work. They said I could go home and wait for her to come. I didn't like the thought of her getting too big and maybe having problems and requiring an emergency c-section. I had also been in hospital 5 days already and no baby. I chose to have a c-section. I was 39 wks and not really looking forward to it. But I have to say that it all went extremely well. The staff dealing with the epidural were fantastic. I didn't feel a thing they were so gentle. The operation was quick and smooth. The feeling is a little weird but certainly no pain. My husband took bubs up to the nursery and was with her until I arrived. The operation was performed at about 10am Tuesday and I was able to breasfeed her straight away. I was out of bed by 8am Wednesday. I guess it was sore for about 4 or 5 days but nothing too bad. I was lucky and didn't get any infection. I know women who have though but I guess that is a risk with any kind of surgery.

All in all I can say that my c-section experience was a good one. I still wouldn't put it as my first choice though. My next child was a normal vaginal delivery again and that would be my preferred choice next time. But the main thing is a safe delivery for bubs so I guess I wouldn't ever say never.

Good luck to you and I hope I have been of some help.
    Take care.
    Debbie

Silvi

I have had my 3 DD's by c/s and honestly they are really easy! Things have changed a lot since you were born, they changed heaps in the 12 yrs between my eldest and my youngest. Honestly, I cant stand pain, it really isnt that bad. But I do advise you to get out of bed and walk as soon as possible after the c/s, mainly so that the muscles can get used to you moving and I found that it caused a lot less pain later. There really isnt anything to be worried about, but I know all about the fear of the unknown.

Best of Luck

Silvi Guest

Just wanna say a big thankyou to all the ladies that have responded, you have put my mind at ease, and made it less scary... It's kinda daunting and exciting that in only 43 days I finally see little Tyler in the flesh...as long as he's healthy that's the main thing..

So once again thankyou for your support and help for a first time mum to be.

G'day Silvi,

There is little evidence to suggest that having a big baby requires a C/S. CPD is usually only a problem for women who have suffered rickets or had pelvic damage (eg car accident). The ligaments in your pelvis loosen as your birth gets closer and your pelvis expands to accommodate the baby.

Ultrasound is notoriously unreliable for measuring the size of your bub. It is not accurate. For more information, on CPD and ultrasound, have a look at "Obstetric Myths vs Research Realities - a guide to the medical literature" by Henci Goer. Your library would have a copy.

Alternatively think about getting a second opinion.

Best wishes,

David

Hey Good to *see you* in here David - I am a fan!!!

I agree and support David's statements. There are not enough fingers and toes in my family to count the times women have undergone major abdominal surgery instead of a vaginal birth "because their babies are too big". Women grow babies that fit their bodies (unless of course there is underlying illness, especially diabetes). ( generally) I am a small framed woman and my largest baby was close to 10lbs. She came out fast and furiously - not a tear in sight. One of my dearest friends has huge babies - she is a tiny woman and her largest baby was born at home (as were all her babies) and weighed 11 1/2 lbs. It is pointless looking at a woman on the outside to tell if she can birth a large baby. OUr bodies are made for birthing babies! There are many positions to facilitate a wide pelvis. Relaxin is produced during pregnancy to sofen the ligaments for this reason. Ultrasound predictions of baby's size in my experience are usually way out!

You do have choices. Very reasonably you could go into labour naturally and adopt positions that aid labour. Keep active, hip swivelling, squatting. Water is wonderful for pain relief and for relaxation. Having a midwife you know and trust or a woman friend/sister/mother that you know and trust and who in turn trusts the birth process is invaluable for good birth outcomes.

Take some time to research your choices so you are informed and this way you will feel empowered regardless of how you birth your baby.

Wishing you loads of positive birthing vibes.

I am so sorry that you have been frightened by what your OB told you. ((((big hugs))))

I can understand how the thought of having a c-section would be scary!!

Too often I hear of womin being told they may require a c-section because of a big baby, when as David pointed out, they are very rarely required!! Your body would not grow a baby that was too large for you to birth. Your amazing body is perfectly designed to push out your baby and has prepared itself to do so throughout your pregnancy!

US is very unreliable in determining the size of a baby in utero. My best friend was told to be induced at 37 weeks because an US showed she was carrying a huge baby, which she went through with, but when her baby was born, he was 6lbs and spent his first week in the NICU.

If you haven't already done so, read up as much as you can on natural birth to empower yourself. This may help you to trust your body and the natural process of pregnancy and birth.

Your body is beautiful and perfect, and you CAN do this!!

Lots of love to you and your belly buddy and wishing you all the very best.

Silvi Guest

Well I had an appointment today with OBGYN and from the finger proding (he always has cold hands) and measurments he took, he again stated it's gonna be a big boy..so I have an ultrasound appointment tomorrow to check how big he actually is...

I'm excited to see little tyler again squirming around in my belly...and I've been reading up on c/sections and with the help of most of you on here I am relaxed and positive about the whole experience...so once again...thankyou!!

p.s. Will let you know how it goes tomorrow...

Silvi,

I hear what you are saying. I was overweight when I concieved and they cannot tell the size of the bubs at the moment so I was sent for an ultrasound today. They thought she was going to be big, I have no idea what is classified as big at the ultrasound and recommended for c/s.. I am waiting on my OBs thoughts when I see her next week, but was told my bubs was currently 2.5kgs and I am 35 weeks tomorrow. My OB knows I want to have a vaginal birth. I totally support David and Flowerchilds posts. Wishing you best wishes for tomorrow mornings scan, look forward to hearing how you go.

Bel
    xxx

*Kristee* Guest

Thumbs up

I can understand why you are so scared of having a c-section. I was too.
    I was hospitilized with a chest infection and the day they told me i could come home....well bub had other ideas. Her heart rate dropped and became to stable. So i was told i had 25 minutes to get ready for theatre and i was like "excuse me" ob said bub was in trouble and that she was big and it was just easier to do it now instead of trying to induce me 3 days later and having to do it then. Well needless to say i was petrified!!!!!
    For me the worst part would have to have been the epidural, took them five attempts and my back is still playing up 5 weeks later :eek:
    It did the trick though i felt absolutely nothing the whole time. I was up walking around looking after my baby the next day and have ever since. I didn't even have to take any pain medication except for a few panadol here and there.
    I would say the experience was overwhelming and confusing but in the end me and bub are fine, no complications with me a few with bub though.
    So in my opinion feel free to be scared....but you will pull through it fine if that has to happen, just be strong.
    By the way that huge baby ended up weighing 6 Pound 10 ounces....i was like you big belly...doesn't mean big baby!!!!

Kristee-Lea
    xxx

Tarleha Maye 29/06/06 6 pound 10 ounces 3 days overdue
    Last edited by *Kristee*; August 5th, 2006 at 11:18 PM.