Thread: what age will/did your children start kinder? (NSW)

Default what age will/did your children start kinder? (NSW)

I'm trying to figure out what age to start Yasin in kinder. I know its a long way off but with waiting lists being what they are I figured its better getting everything sorted out sooner but I'm not quite sure what age they start. I think that in NSW they have to be 4 in the dec before the year they start but since Yasin is born in october he will be at least half a year younger than some of the other children and being a boy he will probably be a bit behind some of the girls so I'm wondering about waiting until he is 5 to start him.
    I'm hoping that if he's enrolled I will be able to change my mind but I'm not counting on it.
    Does anyone have any advice for me?

EDIT
    Just checked the dept of edu website
    Children may enter Kindergarten at the beginning of the school year in NSW government schools if they turn five on or before 31 July in that year.
    So I geuss its not an issue after all.

IKWYM, Lindsay will be 5 on 20/2/06 and will be 3wks off being 5 when he starts. In NSW they have to be 4 & 9mths to start school. We are sending him to school next year as he is so ready for it. He went to preschool 1 day a week this year. Sure, he will be a alot younger than some of the kids (up to 8mths) but he is on a level with them and can read and write. I think when the time comes closer, you will know as it is not only their ability in reading etc, but their social maturity. If he will attend a preschool, his teacher will give you a fair idea of how he is going. I also have concerns about him being a boy etc and wonder if we are doing the right thing, but i think he will be fine.

I hope this helps.

sherieb

Well, it's Lindsay's first day tomorrow, and I know I'm doing the right thing. He is just bored at home now and is looking for more to do. And yes, he can open chip packets and stuff (but cling wrap is even a problem for his father!). There are kids a bit older than him who aren't going, but the differences in them are huge - both socially and emotionally. The girls are not a problem, being October and June and yes we did deliberate over sending Lindsay, but I know he will be fine. In fact, there are even some kids older than him that should really be kept back but can't because they will be six this year. So it makes me wonder if it is kids like this that will end up repeating a year down the track?

If the child has the social skills and development to be able to cope with it, then why not start them in school when they are old enough. I started school when i was 4 ½ (my birthday is in june) and i never remember finding it dificult to adjust or interact with the older kids - some of whom were almost 2 years older than me. I did go to pre school and child care though, so i had a lot of time with other kids before i started school.
    On the other hand DH was a may baby and also started at 4 y.o but his school made him repeat a year.
    Although, i dont have chldren so i probably dont know what im talking about.

Thanks for posting this Dach as I`ve been wondering when the cut off myself, I must admit I`m very surprised it`s as late as 31st July.

Matthew being a May 3rd baby, I have a few decisions to make, thank goodness I have a few years to think about it.

I started School in NZ and they would not take children under 5 so I started at 5.5 years (July 1st is my birthday) when attending school in Australia a lot of children I went to school with where the same age as myself, some of them off course were a year younger and they seem less mature, that year certainly makes a difference.

My step son is a June 2nd baby, he started school at 4.5 years, he had to repeat 2 years ago as he`s immature and not as social as the others in his year.

My SIL`s children attend a Private School, they will not take children until they are 6, if we lived closer to this school it`s where Matthew would be attending.

Sherie - I hope Lindsay enjoyed his first day at big school.

I have a real lot of trouble understanding this. I worked out Lily won't be able to start school until 2010. She'd be approx 5yrs 2mths. But when i was at school in NSW there were people in my year that were a lot younger than me. I was born in June, so before the july 31st cut off but i had friends whose birthdays were in august and november but turned the same age in that year as me, and thats after the july cut off. So it doesnt make any sense. Also, i could have started school the year beforehand, so i would have only been 4.5years..

Well, Lindsays first day went great. His teacher said he went very well and coped with everything they did. Despite being up to 8mths younger than some of his peers, after watching him at preschool I could se he was matching them in ability. I am very confident in our decision to send him and know he'll be OK. He was already starting to read and write way before he started school because I know at any age, boys can sometimes struggle in the classroom, so I made sure that I helped him as much as I could. I do understand where you are coming from Fletch. There are even kids in Lindsays class that should have been kept back, but were sent anyway. Only time will tell how they will go.

Tegan - Paige will start in 2010 too. She will be 5yrs 8mths because her birthday is in June. Kids born up to the end of July the following year can still attend as well, only they will be 4.5 years on the first day. But more than likely those born after March/April will be held back.

Yesterday he was fine with going back, but today he had to catch the bus for the first time and was a bit scared. I felt like the worst mum in the world for making him get on that bus this morning. I rang his teacher and told her how he was just so she'd know why he may be a bit upset. I will ring her soon to find out how he went. Although when he found out he has to go to school on his birthday (monday 20th) he thinks that sucks bigtime LOL! Poor little mucnhkin though you got a day off for your birthday.

Oh Fletch, I forgot to ask, what year to do you teach?

I will be holding Noah back, he can start next year though. His birthday is 10 May 2004. So he will be 3 months off turning 5 but I don't think that he will be ready. I have had a talk with his pre school teachers and they agree. Socially his skills aren't up there nor is he interested in reading, writing his own name or even counting, no matter how hard I try.

I also kept my second eldest Brandon home, his birthday is on 22 July 1994. So not as hard a a decision to make. He was so much the better for it this way. I have seen him to be up the top of his grade. His writing, spelling and reading have always been above par, but then that could just be him.

mamabare Guest

There is a school in Terrey Hills in Sydney called Kinma who have a really great transition programme from kindergarten to school.

The best bit of the programme is that you are not restricted to a beginning of the year start. If your child is a bit too young, or perhaps not quite ready in Feb., then you can start at any stage throughout the year. This was a huge bonus for us because our March born son was just that bit too young to start at the beginning of the year, but oh so ready by May.

They can do this because the class sizes are so small, and it is very child-centred with each child having an individualised learning programme. So its not as if they miss the letter 'a' or how to add or anything like that if they start later in the year.

You can also stay as long as you like in the classroom to help with the transition process. Worked well for us!

Stormi Guest

My 7 year old's birthday is in March, and we had the dilemma of whether to hold him back or not. He ended up going when he was almost 5, and has been fine. My 4 year old's birthday is also in March, and we're unsure what to do with him. With our first it seemed pretty obvious that he was ready for school, he needed more than his two days a week at preschool. With our 4 year old it's hard to tell. He just seems a bit more emotionally immature than our 7 year old was at that age.

So what I'm doing is re-enrolling him for his spot in pre-school, and enrolling him in school, and when it comes time to confirm our pre-school spot, we'll make the decision. I have noticed at our school a couple of kids that started kindergarten this year, went for a couple of weeks and obviously they weren't ready because the parent pulled them out.

As for our DD, she was born in June, but I've already decided to hold her back till the year she turns 6.

Evans birthday is the 1st of August! But even if he was before he cut of date I would still wait till he was 5 turning 6 not 4 turning 5. Glenn will be the same as he the 28th of Aug & the new baby will also be the same as she will be a october baby

Fletch thats what I had been told too, about boys doing better if they are held back a year. So even if my boys were before the cut off, I will still wait till they were turing 6 the yr they went.

I can't find a new topic on this so am refreshing here as I am having to make this hard decision atm! I would love some fresh info, are you planning on sending your child to kindergarten next year? How old will they be? If we send my daughter she will be 4 turning 5 at the end of the April...she goes to pre school 2 days a week, but is a very shy child in groups. Accademically I have no doubts she will be fine. She is bored at home, but I can't send her anymore than 2 days to pre school financially atm! Also if we hold her back, our son won't be able to go to pre school next year. Decisions decisions! He will also be in the same boat in 2 yrs time...but being a boy we may hold him back, so wonder if i should hold my daughter back and have that 2 yrs between them at school. Would love to hear everyones thoughts