Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1984 by George Orwell - Book Club Chatter

Default 1984 by George Orwell - Book Club Chatter

To discuss a chapter you are currently reading please use large font in bold writing so those that are not up to that chapter can skim past your post. If you are replying to someone else about a certain chapter please do the same.

CHAPTER 0 !!

LOL. I am waiting on this to come in from library could be a bloody long wait though. I am 5th in queue, so that could be up to a 5mth wait as books can be borrowed for a 4wk period !!!!! May go hunt it down instead

Love

CHAPTER 0

I was very lucky. We had this book at home - DH had to read it when he was at school some 25 yrs ago. I noted wryly that the book still bears the school library stamp on the inside cover!! he tells me he loved it so much, he just held onto it.....norty!

LOL Hayseed, that's funny. There were a lot of school books I would have loved to keep, but I was too much of a goody-goody! I might get into this tonight.

Yeah I was a goody goody too - never swiped a thing.

Oooh, you picked a book I have! I'll have to join in as soon as I read it again... guess I have something to do while the washing machine is going when I get home! I ended up buying all the school books I liked too! Although I was so indoctrinated with To Kill a Mockingbird I can still close my eyes and read it, bonus!

Actually, just having re-read the early bits of 1984 (another brain book!) I get more and more scared, our newspapers actually do a 2-minute hate.

CHAPTER NOUGHT

This book is one of my faves! I might have to go pick it up from somewhere again so I can join in. It's been 22 years since I read it. Hehe Hayseed at your DH lifting it from school. I can understand the urge!

Ryn, I also love TKAM ... one of those rare situations where the film is actually as good as the book!

Chapter 0

I started reading it last night and I had splitting headache so I shouldn't have bothered because I couldn't tell you a single thing I read. I will have another go when the girls are asleep today.

Well, I saw part of the 1984 opera last night - the first part - cripes! In the book you do get that people are so indoctrinated, but the opera, it was so scary just hearing people sing about how great Newspeak is because "fewer words = less thinking"... and the cheering at the public hangings was gruesome! I didn't see it all because I was tired, but it is something I'll have to watch out for again. DH hasn't read the book so I spent quite a while telling him what was going on between songs, which was quite good for my recap too.

Where did you see that opera? On telly? What channel?

It was on BBC4 last month, they had a big "1984 night" thing going on. I'm not sure if they'll show it again, or show it in Australia, but it is worth a watch if you get the chance.

How's everyone getting on with the book? I don't want to post about it in case I'm further on than everyone else and ruin surprises.

Oh, I didn't even look to see where you are located Ryn!! LOL. Chances are, it wasn't on our tellys!!! LOL.

But we have pay tv in our house and get BBC shows via UKTV so maybe????? one day!

Yeah I'm about 3/4 through the book. I guess one of us should just start talking about the earlier chapters to get the talk going.

Some of the stuff in the book freaks me out how it is a bit eerily like today's society, but was written so long ago!

Yes, it really struck me 10 years ago and it's gotten worse since. However, I quite like the idea of no makeup - OK, it would have annoyed me back in my makeup selling days, but I would love to not have the hassle.

Did anyone else think that this is the way the British govt. have been trying to go for the last 8 years or so? It's just so freaky, they want to control where people live and they really do take all your money in taxes and you have to apply for it back, so they give you back what they think you deserve... it's just soooooo Orwellian and people only use the phrase "Big Brother" about speed cameras or the stupid TV show (no comment on Aussie BB, the UK one is dumb though) when they should look at govt. policy.

OK, here's a quick question: would you rather live with all your "needs" provided for inside Big Brother's protection, quixotic as that may be (with very little chocolate), or would you rather live outside with all the risks? And why?

It's scary, when you think like that, of the lure of Big Brother and knowing that you will have a house and food, even though they control your thinking, rather than chancing it all outside. Though I'd still pick outside and freedom over thought control, our lives are slowly being moulded into letting someone else take responsibility for us and liking that.

Yeah, the way our lives are monitored already sometimes gives you pause for thought. The fact that we are living less and less in a paper money society and the ability to trace expenditure on credit cards sometimes just freaks me out. but I use my credit cards more and more these days for everyday living. Sucked in by the accumulation of frequent flyer points that I wiull never use (I think I have enough for a first class flight to Singapore!).

One thing that initially struck me as strange in the book though is how people couldn;t remember back only 4 years as to who their country was at war with and they accepted that the way it currently is, is the way it always has been. But then, I got thinking that a lot of people (in today's society too) just don't want to know what is going on, and are happy to be told what is going on (and that is is ok) rather than questioning it for themselves.

I'm quite interested to get to the end of the book to see how it turns out. I just can't see how it can end.....

Oh and Ryn, I'd want to live in a world of my own choices, one that came with risks. Because I'm such as questioner and find it difficult to easily conform.

I think it's more in the UK, but there are people who don't remember back to even before the last election, people who don't know who Tony Bliar is, people to whom reality TV is more important than finding out with whom we are at war... and this is encouraged by the media and the government. (Also, Islam isn't a religion, just a collection of "bad guys and terrorists" which really annoys and upsets me.) In my age group (I still class myself as "early 20s") there are people who don't understand why they should vote, or think that voting is just a popularity contest, like on reality TV. They don't understand it affects their lives! And yes, if I can trace exactly what my DH spends via the on-line bank, then how do we know others can't do the same? I really don't trust our government enough not to.

Having said that, I'm sure there's a portion of the UK who think we're still at war with the Germans, so maybe it's just a generational thing and the same types of people will, in their 60s, still be "at war" with the Middle East and not trust any Muslims. My FiL, for example, won't eat any food that's from France or Germany; he will also not travel outside the UK "just in case". He's such a Rosbif - OK, I'm not French but he really is! I think the 1984 world has eliminated the intelligensia and been populated with people like that (not that FiL is thick, far from it, but just the small-minded attitudes he often has) and the people who think that voting is a popularity contest, quite easy to do really. TB and his cronies are trying to do that to the UK.

As for the ending... the last line just stays with me forever. Up there with the last line in Tolkein's The Two Towers for most haunting last lines ever. I hadn't read the book for almost 10 years and could still remember that line and how scary it was.

Oooh don't say!!! I'm just getting to the interesting bits now - not that the whole book isn't interesting!! LOL

It's been over 20 years since I read this, but I agree that some things stay with you. I found it eerily prescient even then. Nowadays it's just downright scary!

As an aside, one thing I find interesting about politics in supposedly democratic countries today is that there is so little difference between the major parties. There is no real choice for people ... whoever you vote for is going to end up selling you out to international corporations so I think people feel that there isn't much point. To a certain extent, I understand why we have large scale apathy.

What concerns me too is that if anyone actually came forward with decent representative policies, they would probably be assassinated or otherwise removed or discredited. After all, we can't have a little thing like citizen's rights standing in the way of profits!

This might have sounded paranoid once but sadly it is now accepted as "just the way things are" by pretty much everyone.

Now I've got to get my hands on this and start reading it again right away. I've procrastinated long enough!

Finished it! Gawd........quite sad really. didn't end like I thought, but then, I wasn't sure how it was going to end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast