Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading at the moment?

Default What book are you reading at the moment?

What are you reading at the moment?

Do you recommend it?

I have just finished the one I was reading (False Memory - Dean Kootnz) and am looking for my next one!!

I've just finished two whilst on holidays...

Bronte's Story (Bronte Cullis) -
    Remember the girl with anorexia that Ray Martin interviwed a few times? This is a very interesting book that is pretty much her journal from when she was recovering.

Not Without My Sister (Kristina Jones, Celeste Jones, Juliana Buhring) -
    This is an amazing story about three sisters that were born into the Children of God cult. They were abused from an early age but managed to escape when they were a bit older.

Next on the list is Down Came The Rain (Brooke Shields) and New Active Birth (Janet Balaskas).

Wow! They sound great!

"Not Without My Sister" sounds very interesting, I might read that one next!

Thanks!!!

They do sound good! I need a new book as I just finished my latest one last night. "The Time Traveller's Wife"... absolutely fantastic! I highly recommend it if you're after some really well written fiction and an amazing love story. I was crying so much in parts my H came to check on me

Quote Originally Posted by ren View Post
    They do sound good! I need a new book as I just finished my latest one last night. "The Time Traveller's Wife"... absolutely fantastic! I highly recommend it if you're after some really well written fiction and an amazing love story. I was crying so much in parts my H came to check on me

I love books that make me cry lol

I might give that one a go too! Thanks!

Can you tell I like biographies at the moment

Not Without My Sister was a great read. It was written by the three sisters so you get the different perspectives on everything which I found really good. I even googled the organisation they started to help other children from cults after I finished reading it. They are very inspiring women.

I am reading 'The potato factory' by Bruce Courney

Can recommend (can reember the authors and have passed these to mum and sister sorry)
    * The Judas Strain
    * My Sisters Keeper (sad)
    * Lovely Bones (Sad)

There are a few others, but these three are my most recent and couldnt put them down! My sister is half way through 'The Judas Strain' and thinks its brilliant too
    HTH

ETA: Time travellers Wife was also brilliant, i loved it and tried to find excuses to sit down and read!

Oooh...I love biographies too! I just finished reading two books.

The first was "Escape" (Carolyn Jessop) about a women who escaped from the cult Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. She grew up in the cult and had to marry a 54 year old man when she was 18. She had 8 children to him! She was interviewed on Oprah recently, a facinating read!

The second I finished yesterday was "The Nazi Officer's Wife" (Edith Hahn) which is about a Jewish woman who manages to get a false identity during WW2 and marries a Nazi Officer. It's an amazing story!

Ooooh Escape sounds good Trish. I have a bit of an obsession with cults after researching Charles Manson for my psych degree.

Sammiejane I loved Lovely Bones as well

Hee hee, I have a bit of a cult obsession too Sarah! I read a biography a few years ago written by one of the Charles Manson girls, I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but it was fascinating (and gruesome)!

i just finished reading Brooke Sheilds "Down came the rain", it was magnificent and i wish i had read it months ago, it is just so honest. I read it in 2 days i just couldn't put it down.

I just read Moby ****, for all its a classic and so forth, I'd never read it and wouldn't you know, its really amazing.

Just just finished "Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver- wow wow wow. A southern baptist minister's family in the 1960's moves from Georgia to the Congo to "spread the word" of God. It's told from the mother and four daughters' povs. Really well written, compelling story. If you like a little bit of substance to your fiction, its there too (but doesn't feel heavy, either). Good good book.

is it really bad that i can't remember the names of most of the books i've read lately???

am slowly reading "lisey's story" (stephen king) in my lunch breaks at work - and i know i've read about half dozen books in the last couple of months - but can't recall which ones!!

i recently bought the book about Sophie - the little girl that was burnt in the creche fire then hit by another car - but my sil stole it - will have to get it back when she's finished!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_H View Post
    I've just finished two whilst on holidays...

Bronte's Story (Bronte Cullis) -
    Remember the girl with anorexia that Ray Martin interviwed a few times? This is a very interesting book that is pretty much her journal from when she was recovering.
    I just read this one whilst on summer holidays as well, I really enjoyed reading her story in her words. She actually lived in the next town to where I live which I did not know.

If you are into biography's I recommend "A piece of cake" by Cupcake Brown. Very full on but one of the best books I have ever read.

I was disappointed to come home from my yearly reading frenzy holiday @ the beach this year as I got some good reading in.

I would also recommend "Marching Powder" by Rusty Young. A story of a drug trafficker being placed in San Pedro Prison in Bolivian, interesting story.

Also I recommend Candy by Luke Davies, probably my favourite book. You might have seen the film with Heath Ledger (poor Heath) but the book is way more powerful.

Sammiejane - I loved My Sisters Keeper as I was reading it but I was so disappointed by the ending, IMO I think the auther coped out after writing an amazing book. I have had discussions with others with have a different opinion, but that is what I love about books they speak to people in different ways and then create great discussions sometimes

I just started Wilbur Smith's The Triumph of the Sun last night. To early to say, but it started with a bang, so it must be good. I am a huge fan of his

Read The Face, by Dean Koontz - if you liked his writing style, that is one to look out for.

Lil Chookie - I agree with you in regards to the ending of My Sisters Keeper... it was almost like she was really tired and needed to hurry it up so she could go off to bed!

I read a stack of really good ones last year - Just finished a book that everyone keeps recommending to me - 'The Pilots Wife'.... well, can I just say.... yaaaaawn!!!

Won't be recommending that to anyone, it was just too slow and drawn out!

Have just started a bio 'In My Skin' by Kate Holden (Australian girl who was a heroin addict and prostitute)... have only just started it for my book group, but some of the other ladies that are almost finished have said its incredibly descriptive and raw.... One of the 'straighter' ladies has said she's had to put it down a few times and go back to it!!!
    Have only just started though, so I'll let you know how it goes

Sarah - If you're into bio's at the moment, you could try 'A Million Little Pieces' by James Frey - His book was the one that started the big controversy on Oprah a couple of yrs ago - Its also about drug, alcohol & substance addiction.

Its very full on and very raw - Very heavy, but I think well worth the read... I also think if they made high school students read it, its that confronting that it could very well deter more than a few teenagers to try drugs...

Have also just bought 'No Country For Old Men', which I'll read over the next week before I see the movie, as I think its the front runner for best pic at the Oscars this year!

If anyone needs anything recommended, just let me know

Sounds like some good ones there, will have to make a list!

Hi,

Just finished The Kite Runner yesterday..it was really well written although very sad...I could see by the end of it why it has now been added as a Year 12 English book for VCE, it makes you think about things in a different light.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast