Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by rayla72 View Post
    She's brilliant Sherie. Her heroine Tempe Brennan is funny, but not stupidly so. I really enjoy her books. She's like Patricia Cornwall, but better.

MG have you read any Karin Slaughter? She'a good too.
    I totally agree Rayla! I haven't read any of Karin Slaughter - actually, hadn't heard of her until I read this thread! I am going to go searching at the library after exams I think. Have you seen the TV show based on Kathy's books? I don't think it's as good. She's only written one book I struggled with - the beginning was slower than normal and I was reading out of sequence so I got confused. Took about 3 chapters to get my head around it all and then I couldn't put it down! But I think I'm missing a book somewhere in the link because I can't work out what happened with Andrew Ryan AFTER the undercover stint. So I have to go searching at the book store....

MG

I've just finished reading Patricia Cornwall's At Risk, it's not as good as some of her other books though
    Now i'm reading The potato factory by Bryce Courtney again

I love reading true crime books and get alot of mine 2nd hand from ebay, alot cheaper than the shops

I love Cecilia Ahern (she's the Irish prime minister's daughter). She's written 'PS I love you' (ADORE this book, it's fantastic!), 'Where Rainbows End' and 'If you could see me now'.

At the moment I am reading "Harry Potter and the order of Phoenix"

Iona, I am up to that one too . But I'm not reading it yet
    I am reading Darksong by Isobelle Carmody (as recomended by one of our Lovely BB girls You know who you are).

Tanya

I am reading this thread by all you lovely ladies

Sorry, couldn't help it.....

Seriously though. I haven't read a good book in ages. COuldn't even tell you the last one I read

I was waiting for someone to say that, Trish, lol...

Has anybody read any Barbara Erskine? She has a great book called Lady of Hay. She writes a mixture of contemporary/supernatural and historical all in the one book. Pretty good.

I'm a big fan of Kathy Reichs too. Love her stuff and have been collecting them - as soon as they're released I've got them cause I can't wait! Didn't like Bones, the TV series too much. I just don't picture my 'Tempe' like the actress. And if you think about it, Tempe has her daughter Katie and the tv chick's too young. Also it's set in the US on TV rather than Montreal. And of course where's Andrew Ryan. - I could go on about all the difference. I guess I should just not watch the TV and enjoy my reading!

I also love Janet Evanovich. Her Stephanie Plum series are hilarious. The main character - Stephanie - is a bounty hunter and is always getting herself into trouble! Worth a read if you want some fun.

Also

Rachel, my MIL has given me a couple of Janet Evanovich's books, but i haven't read them yet

Thats sounds good Rachel - have you read Harlan Coben? He's another funny one with his Myron Bolitar series. His single books are fantastic too. They're probably the only books where the ending actually comes as a surprise.

I might get one of Janet Evanovich's and give that a go.

Oooh! Books!
    I LOVE Alexandre Dumas stuff.... 'The Count of Monte Cristo', Three Musketeers, Man In The Iron Mask' etc. etc....such good reading! (ripped through these the first few weeks of breastfeeding at all hours).
    Harry Potter stuff is always good, as is the Lemony Snicket books, very easy to read.
    Also love C.S.Lewis' other stuff (adult fiction and theological essays).....though Narnia books are always good to read over and over.
    Mmm, I used to sneak books into class in VCE and read them on the sly.....ah the memories!
    Last edited by chocolatecatty; May 27th, 2007 at 07:05 PM.

I am reading Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters... my sister lent it to me... apparently a lot of Sarah Waters books are aimed at lesbians(???), but she a has actually won heaps of awards, and my sister assures me its an excellent book by a brilliant writer, so I'm all for it!
    I'm only a couple chapters in though, havent had the time for weeks to pick it up!

Am also reading Why Warriors Lie Down and Die. Its a book for our Culture, Values & Diversity Subject at uni. About Aboriginal Australians and their health issues and how it relates to our current health system. VERY interesting, and VERY eye-opening.

and apart from that I have read nearly a hundred journal articles for my assignments... all about nursing assessment, and cultural safety.

Gee Tanya, I wonder whom you might be talking about?? Darksong is great... so much better than the first I thought!

Wow girls, this is great thread! I love reading, I must confess to loving second hand bookshops too. I had to buy a backpack to bring home the eight books I bought on our honeymoon LOL! I know, how romantic!

I am currently reading "The Pursuit of Happiness" by Douglas Kennedy, I also enjoyed his book "State of the Union". I love Jodi Piccoult, and Maeve Binchy too. I agree with Lucy, her's are comfort books, and I have also read them over and over.

Lucy, you give me hope! I'm so glad to hear that there may be a time in a mother's life when she can read a book! Everyone tries to tell me that once I give birth I won't read another book for 10 years eeeek! I am determined to BF, this is just another reason to do so, and for a long time LOL!

Thanks everyone for the tips, I'm always on the look out for a good read.........I have also heard that "Running with Scissors" is fantastic, so i think that's next on the list.

Sorry to but in here girls but I too love reading - and have just found time to do it with Marnie sleeping through.

Running with scissors is excellent - but be prepared for some confronting images!!!!
    I've just read Jodi Piccoult's "The Pact"- i think that's what it is called. It's really good and I just had to read it and read it in 2 nights! Very tired mummy the next days I can tell you.
    I read (years ago) a book called The Red Shoes - can't remember the author but it is a real tearjerker.

I find Marian Keyes to be easy reading (probably like Maeve Binchey) in that you can just pick her up anywhere and reread - excellent whilst breastfeeding. She has written Rachel's Holiday, The Last Chance Saloon, etc - brain just died and can't remember the rest.
    There are so many to choose from.
    LOVE THIS THREAD
    Last edited by Renee Elizabeth; October 7th, 2006 at 09:17 PM. Reason: it's late and I forgot what I wanted to write!

Yep - Running with Scissors is very disturbing, but also very black humour.
    Just this morning, I finished reading Dry, which is the sequel to Running with Scissors. Totally different, but also a great book.

Hmm. I am not reading anything at the moment, the last book I read was actually re-reading Magician (Raymond E Feist) for about the 10th time *LOL*

Mostly fanasty books or cookbooks on my bookshelf, but someones I steal some from Neils, and I would like next to read Leviathan (John Birmingham)

I have too many favourite authors to narrow it down...

I just finished 'Trace' by Patricia Cornwell. I love her and Kathy Reichs, also Tess Gerritsen. I also love the alphabet novels by Sue Grafton but I have lost track of which letter I am up to! I think it's R...

I am also into historical fiction and I like 'chick lit' authors like Maeve Binchy, Marian Keyes, Monica McInerney and I love Jane Austen but it always takes me ages to finish one of her books. I like to re-read her novels when I am in the mood.

Some of my favourite books though are : 'To Kill a Mockingbird' by Harper Lee - this is a fantastic book, 'Animal Farm' by George Orwell, 'Looking For Alibrandi' by Melina Marchetta (I still love it even though it is meant for teens) and 'The Great Gatsby' by F Scott Fitzgerald. Two of them we had to read when I was in high school which is probably why I like them so much - because studying them got me to appreciate them.

I love To Kill A Mockingbird, too, Bon. Its so sad. I always wanted to read the Alphabet ones too, but something put me off and I cant remember what it was. The one I'm reading now is historical fiction about fire makers in war in the 17th century. It sounds bad but its pretty good

Rayray, do you like George RR Martin? And I loved the Shannara (sp) series, too but its been a long while. I got into Robert Jordan for a while but it just draaaaaagged on. I stopped on about the 5th one. His whingeing started to ***** me, LOL...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast