Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Just going to combine this with our other book thread

Im reading schapelle corby's My story. The jail conditions sound terrible!

Amelia Guest

I am reading the same as well Caddie, as well as a pregnancy book!

Sarah - I loved Running With Scissors and Dry too! I think I read both of them in 2 days - couldn't put them down.

I'm reading "The Zahir" by Paul Coehlo at the moment. I read another one of his, "The Alchemist" for a book club that I'm in, recently, and really enjoyed it so I thought I'd try this one out.

Cherie, The Alchemist is great, hey?

I'm currently reading a Maeve Binchy book, nice light reading for my new mummy brain while I'm BFing! DH was so excited when he came out the other night and saw me reading....he said "oh good, life is back to normal, you're reading again" LOL! I've got such a big pile there waiting to be read, I thought I was going to be home heavily pg, with a broken foot, for at least a few more weeks

I'm so excited, I didn't think I get to read a book for another 10 years! BFing is certainly a good time to do it

I think I might have to get running with scissors. I love reading but I am very annoying in that if I can tell whats going on, or if I've read too many other books similar to the one I'm reading I get bored quickly. I like a book to escape with. Fantasty doesn't do it for me anymore because I read so many of them in my youth I just can't get into them anymore, I don't know why its weird. I love human stories. I tried to read Marian Keyes but found it too predictable and I just couldn't get into it, too much like reading a gossip column. So I felt like a reading failure LOL! One of the most easy to read books and it did nothing for me LOL! How am I going to stay captivated in anything else?!?! But I'm like that with movies too, I hate things that don't get me to think and are predictable. I am notorious for reading half way through a book and getting bored and not picking it up again. It annoys my husband, who is an avid reader, to no end. I also didn't finish reading the da vinci code coz it got boring and predictable (to me). That one REALLY annoyed Marc.

So apart from running with scissors if you think you can help me find a book I won't give up on I would be eternally grateful The book club book we read on the boy with aspergers was good I read that cover to cover but in a few days so I'd like something a bit bigger

*hugs*
    Cailin

Cai Running with Scissors is a memoir, would that be something you're after. It truly is strange all the things that happened to this man & definitely not predictable! I'll think of something else as well....

Cai theres a brilliant fantasy series by George RR Martin. The series is called A Song of Ice and Fire and it surpasses by far any fantasy novels Ive read before. He's so slooow with his writing though - Ive been waiting for ages for him to finish. But its very unpredictable - key characters die (you gotta love that ) and its fast paced.

Hi Ladies!!

Thought I would crash this thread - I've been on BB everyday and for some reason have never looked here??!!!!

I am a HUGE book lover - I'm in 3 seperate book clubs that all meet once a month, so I go through at least 3-4 books per month!!!
    DH is Italian and stays up late many nights a weeks to watch the international soccer, so I usually keep him company whilst reading at the same time

I've read a stack of great (and not so great) books recently - perhaps one of the greatest books I have ever read I just finished recently - Its called "We Need To Talk About Kevin" by Lionel Shriver.
    The book is a series of letters the main character, Eva has written to her husband... kind of like a journal.
    Kevin is their son who is in jail after killing a group of his highschool peers... her story is her journey trying to figure out whether she was a terrible parent, and this made him this way, or whether he was just born that way......
    Very scary - within a day of finishing it the Virginia Tech massacre happened, and there were just way too many things that were too similar!!
    Its very heavy, but it sucks you in, and if you're a mother, there are many points throughout the book that make you question your own parenting (only lightly though!!!!)
    It was fantastic, I loved it, and everyone that I have spoken to that has read it has said the same thing - One of the best books they've ever read.

I've also read Running With Scissors - Fantastic!!!

My book groups this month are reading "Perfume", "My Sisters Keeper" and "Tree Of Man" (not looking forward to that one, but have to take the good with the bad!)

I can also recommend "A Million LIttle Pieces" (The one with all of the contoversy on Oprah a little while back) - again, its pretty heavy, but anothe one that sucks you in, and you just can't put down!
    "The Lovely Bones" was also really enjoyable, too!!!

Am so excited to have found this thread!!!!

Holly
    xxx

I have just finished "The Veiled Kingdom" by Carmen Bin Ladin. She married one of Osama's many brothers and it is her account of life in Saudi Arabia. It doesn't go on about 911 or Osama or anything like that, but it is the story of her life with her husband and how having 3 daughters made her decide she couldn't remain in Saudi Arabia. It is very interesting because although she was rasied and still is a muslim woman she is very critical of the strain of Islam practiced in Saudi Arabia and I think her background gives her a really unique perspective. Not that I think that there is necessarily uniformity in Islam, as in any religion, but because often books about a women who marries into a "foreign" culture only to regret or seek to escape it later seem to be by women who come from a totally different background initially (I am thinking of the book by the Swiss (?) woman who married an Afican tribesman and underwent a huge culture shock). No where in the book does she adopt the "poor me, I was lied to about what it would be like" line, but rather it described how she was initally hopeful of change in Saudi Arabia but how, in the context of the revolution in Iran, that change proved impossible. Really very interesting and readable.

Well I bought running with scissors today so I'm going to have something to read tonight *yay*

Hopefully it will get me back into reading... One book I can't wait for is the next HP book

*hugs*
    Cailin

julesr Guest

Hee Cailin I can't wait for Harry Potter either! DH already knows he will be on DS duty that day while I rush off to buy HP!

In the meantime I'm reading A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. I've read all Bill Bryson's books and I love him. He primarily writes travel books but this book is about science, which sounds really dry but it is a layman's book but written in my favourite Bryson style (ie hilarious). Lots of trivia too, which I love.

His turn of phrase is so funny - he writes the kind of book that can be a bit dangerous to read on the train, you will suddenly snort with laughter in a quiet carriage and have people look at you strangely! I embarrassed myself hugely one day reading Bryson's "Neither Here Nor There" about when he backpacked around Europe, I was helpless with laughter, tears in my eyes, in a packed and silent commuter carriage. Oh dear.

Oh love Bill Bryson too..my dad got me on to him. Real nice easy read and how funny is he!!!! Im reading Anya Seaton's 'The Winthrop Woman' right now..huge fan..historical.

Jo

Well I'm just over a third of the way through "Running with Scissors" And its pretty good My gf said to me its really depressing but I haven't reached that yet obviously...

She's got a few books for me to borrow too so I may have some good reads over the next few weeks

YAY!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Hi Cai,

Great to see you're enjoying Running With Scissors... you may not find any part depressing... I didn't!!!!
    The closest I got was when I found myself laughing out loud a few times, and then when I realised what I was laughing about, I thought Oh God, this shouldn't be funny, if it was my son I would be mortified and worried for his safety!!!!
    Perhaps this is what your GF meant??!!!!!
    Let us know what other books your gf is going to lend you - I'm always on the hunt for a good book!!!
    Unfortunately, from the books I read in my book club, whilst I don't mind most of them (other ladies LOVE them), I am just too hard to please as far as getting locked in to something!!!
    I generally always finsh everything (I'm too anal not to!) but wish there was more I could love and rave about the way a lot of my book club members do!!!

Have just started "The Gospel According To Luke" this morning - It was recommended to me by a lady in one of my groups who generally likes what I like... Onlt just started, so we'll see how I go!!!
    I've read the one they're reading this month - "The Memory Keepers Daughter"..... despite its rave reviews and endless weeks on the NY Times bestsellers list, I wasn't all that impressed, really.....

Hope everyone is great!!!

Holly
    xxx

i am a fan of steven king, wilbur smith, bryce courtenay and dean koontz-
    just finished Sylvia - was good

have just started the quest - wilbur smith - totally enthralled... my dad got me into these authors as he had a library full of them

oh and reading what to expect when youre expecting
    and the forums when i can

I'm half way through reading "The Innocent Man" by John Grisham! It's his first non fiction book, about a guy named Ronald Williamson who was wrongly accused and sent to death row with no physical evidence that he was guilty.
    It's a very sad story, and infuriating at times. I'm only half way through, but it's an excellent read so far. The way they treated these guys.... it's just shocking!

Nic

I was just asked to join a friends bookclub! All very exciting! So right now I'm reading the novel 'On beauty' by Zadie Smith. So far, so good

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast