Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Oooh that sounds good Nic, I'll have to add it onto my list

Hi Ladies!

Well, finished "The Gospel According To Luke" yesterday - not too bad!
    It only took me 2 days, it was an easy read, but it was just ok - Not great damn it!!!

Nic, your book sounds interesting, I'll look at getting that one - I'm going to start "My Sisters Keeper" today (Jodi Picoult), its one for one of my book groups, so we'll see how it goes!
    The lady from Dymocks who runs our book clubs said I'll enjoy this one, so heres hoping!

Cai - How did you go with the rest of Running With Scissors?

Hope everyone is great

Love Holly
    xxx

I might have to start going to the library and borrow some books.

Nic

I'm going to read "Perfect Murder, Perfect Town" JonBenet and the city of boulder by Lawrence Schiller.... thank goodness for the library, it's awesome and Arden now has his own card and loves it

pebbles2820 Guest

Thumbs up The Druids Sword

Well I've finally finished reading Druids Sword by Sara Douglas, it's the 4th book in the Troy Game series and having read the first 3 I had to finish the series. It is over all a good story and Sara Douglas is a good fantasy writer but she just dragged this story out to much, I think that's why I've been doing other things rather than picking up the book. So I don't really recommend this series to anyone unless you don't mind taking ages to get through it. I'll be starting Blockade by Derek Hansen tonight so fingers crossed it's as well written as all his other books. I've had heaps of great ideas for books from reading everyones posts since my last and think I'll be getting running with scissors(have been thinking about this one for a while anyway) and a few other interesting looking ones I've seen mentioned, thanks and keep reading.

I just finished reading "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edwards. It was so sad and beautiful. It is about a doctor whose wife has twins but one is born with Down's Syndrome so he tells the nurse to take it to an institution (but she keeps the baby and raises her as her own) and the doc tells his wife the baby died. So many issues in this book - pro breastfeeding, stillbirth, raising a child with a special need, PND... I can't wait to re-read this book!

But a word of warning - it is so well written it will have many in tears. It certaintly had me teary at times!

that sounds like a great book MG - might have to look out for it! i find i only have time to read on my lunch break at work - but that one might not be the best for workplace reading...

I managed to get Running with Scissors and have finally finished it. I actually liked it, wasn't sure if I would, but I did.

Will have to find something new to read now...might go back over the thread later for a look

Nic

I love reading the "Playboy" magazine, "Dirt" the Motley Crue biography, car magazines and when have more time the Harry Potter books. Also known to devour an entertainment/celeb magazine

I'm actually reading the Bible atm. I decided it's something I should do as I've never actually read the whole thing.

I am also obsessed with Harry Potter.

Also reading Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult, good so far.

I have just finished Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince - omg I love the Harry Potter books! I only started reading them for the first time at easter, when my mum gave me Philosopher's Stone (ironically I already knew the storyline because I had seen the movie), but after that I was hooked and I haven't stopped until I got to #6 - now I just have to wait for #7 to come out.

I was a bit disappointed though to read an article in the paper a while back that gave away the plot and one particular important event in Half Blood Prince, so I knew what was going to happen before I read it. Still a good read though.

I now have a pile of books on my bedside table that I need to start - Running With Scissors, Three Dollars by Eliot (?) Perlman, Secret River by Kate Grenville, The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf. I am particularly interested in The Beauty Myth - my mum told me to read it, she said she read it when I and my sister were in our teens and it changed her whole approach with us when it came to makeup and body issues.

Oh I hear u about harry potter!! how good is it!!!!!
    I can't wait for the last book.
    The new movie is out today too!!

I've just had a week of reading...which is so unusual for me as I'm a crossword addict...

Anyway...read...The Jane Austen's book club and Nic Hornby's It's a Long Way Down...

Both were pretty good...easy reads...

Hi everyone,

Re-reading the Harry Potter series for the upteenth time in anticipation of the 7th book coming out - roll on the 21st!! Currently up to Goblet of Fire (again).

Penny - I was a bit disappointed in the 4th book of the Troy Game - felt that it lost its way. I noticed Sara Douglass has a new one out - must investigate shortly.

Default mrsdaisy

i just finished up work in a newsagency/bookshop to go on maternity leave and am desparetely missing being surrounded by all my books! I definately recommend Jodi Picoult - she is fantastic - I started off with My Sisters Keeper, which was just amazing. It raises lots of issues so is fantastic for book groups etc. For lighter reading, i love Monica McInerey, Diane Blacklock and Liane Moriarty. They are excellent 'chick lit' authors. Planning on re-reading them while breast feeding

Em (Due 17/7/07)

pebbles2820 Guest

Default Blockade

Hanging for the new HP, I can't motivate myself to read anything else at the mo because the release date is so near.
    Mother Goose, the memory keepers daughter sounds great, I'll definitely be giving it a read.
    Gargy, the new Sara Douglas doesn't look bad but I think I need a break from her for the mo.
    I finished Blockade by Derek Hansen a couple of days ago, he continues to blow me away with his writing. This one is about the Australian logging industry and the people who fight against them. He paints such a vivid picture it's really hard to put his books down.

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

I'm currently almost finished reading "Dating without Novocaine" by Lisa Cach. I'm enjoying it.

Ok - admitting to patheticness - I caved and I am currently reading "The Case for Snape - Innocent or Guilty". My excuse is that it was 1/2 price at Borders today (as I said to DH, probably because of the short shelf life). I've read 3/4s of the 'innocent' case and it's been really interesting. And it's got good links to other epics. Thats my justification anyway

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast