Thread: "Bring a Plate"

Default "Bring a Plate"

Hey-ho, tomorrow is the last day of our new mother's group, and we have been asked/told to "bring a plate" if you want to have lunch.
    Now I am confused. Do they mean bring a plate of food for my own lunch, or bring a plate of goodies to share with the others?
    I have no idea, and if it is to share, any ideas on what I should make/take?
    Thanks all!

I would take that to mean a plate to share, sandwiches, quiches, salad, cake/biscuits perhaps? Have a good time..sounds like fun.

Jo

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

I agree - Jo has it spot on - have fun !

I agree too, just something to share. Your title made me remember when I first started teaching it was in an area with very high non- English speaking people and when the parents were asked to bring a plate to a school function many of them just bought an empty plate LOL

Thanks guys, I thought of taking an empty plate just to get a rise out of the MCHN, but thought maybe I shouldn't.
    Thank you for the ideas too!

Christine, you don't need to be NESB to make that mistake. My parents did the same thing the first time they were told to bring a plate. My Mum being a very proper English woman bought cutlery too rofl.

Oh no Dach, how embarrassing, its such a colloquial expression isn't it?

Well, I didn't take a plate. Instead I took a full square tupperware container of zucchini slice. Homemade and still warm! I believe it was a success. I'm glad that I doubled the recipe, and that it turned out okay as I have never made it before. I only thought of making it earlier this morning, else I had no idea what to take, even with suggestions provided by you guys. I suppose if I had thought about making the zucchini slice, I wouldn't have made that either!
    Also glad I was able to mostly make it between bouts of a screaming and feeding Steph. I may post the recipe later if I have the enthusiasm after feeding Steph and washing a heap of dishes..

Is it the women's weekly one? Thats great isn't it.

No, this one wasn't from the Women's Weekly, its from The Body Shop Cookbook from some years back. Since Steph is giving me a few minutes peace, I'll post it now..

Zucchini Slice

350g zucchinis, grated
    1 onion, finely chopped
    3 rashers bacon, finely chopped (or one big handfull of chopped bacon from the deli)
    1 cup cheese, grated
    1/4 cup butter, melted (I omitted this, and it worked really well)
    1 cup self raising flour
    4 eggs
    salt and pepper
    1/2 cup grated carrot (for colour)
    1 tablespoon oil

Gently saute onions and bacon in the oil.
    Add zucchini, cheese and carrot if used, stirring well.
    Combine in bowl with flour, eggs, butter (if used) and seasonings.
    Place in 22cm greased baking dish.
    Cover with foil and cook for 30-40 minutes at 190C.
    Cut into wedges and serve warm or cold.

I didn't use the butter, and found it to be moist enough without it.
    Also, before combining the ingredients, I found that I really needed to drain the zucchini mix in the frypan. Aside from all that, it tasted great.