thread: Buttermilk Q

Add ~clover~ on Facebook

Sep 2007
    travelling

Buttermilk Q

So... Buttermilk is soured milk, yeah? Does that mean it might be ok past the use by date??

Not a couple days, but unopened, about a week past? Bit annoyed I paid that much for it to let it go out of date

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    melbourne

I wouldn't use it?

I never buy it, just make my own....1 cup of milk and 1 tablespoon of vinegar.

Jan 2008
    Brisbane

Yep I make it the same way with milk and vinegar. Good old google helped me out in a tough cooking situation and it worked a dream.

1 week over, I would say no.

Though DH uses sour cream over a week past use by date as he says it's off cream anyway. I on the other hand do not lol.

Add ~clover~ on Facebook

Sep 2007
    travelling

I use things past the date if they smell ok. Doesn't bother me how far they are, as long as they smell normal! But I don't know what buttermilk normally smells like

I didn't know thats how you make it though Awesome! Saves buying more! Thanks guys

Jun 2010
    District Twelve

If you have no vinegar you can use lemon. That's what I use.

Apr 2011
    On cloud nine!!!

Umm what does the pack say is in it??? Coz if its 'real' buttermilk it isn't sour milk at all just the excess liquid from making butter... That's all I've ever used from making butter at home...

Apr 2011
    On cloud nine!!!

PS Deedles sour cream from the shop isn't actually sour cream at all. It is cultured much like yoghurt and I've eaten after best before date plenty of times

Add ~clover~ on Facebook

Sep 2007
    travelling

Milk, skim milk, salt & cultures. I've never used it or even noticed it in shops before. It wasn't til I was working & making alot of things from scratch that I realised it even existed, just a few months ago So I have no real idea what it even is
    It went unused for so long because the day after I went & did a big shop, stocking up on all that sort of stuff, was the day I lost my job wasting alot of my money.

Gotta get back into the baking though Just for the kids

Apr 2011
    On cloud nine!!!

Hmm yeah then probably a bit questionable a week over but still may be alright if it wasn't opened especially if you are going to be cooking with it... Buttermilk pancakes are very popular and nice with bananas yoghurt and honey- YUMMY!

(Sorry about ur job too hun )

Add ~clover~ on Facebook

Sep 2007
    travelling

I've tried the pancakes. Not bad. Didn't get enough for a good taste though.
    No netball this weekend, so might make some for the kids to try. Made a marble mudcake tonight & its not too bad

And thanks mrsbaj. It sucks, coz it was something I could do with the kids home, but I'll just have to survive a few more years I guess. No daycare here...
    I think its about time I did some studying anyway