Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chickpeas/couscous

Default chickpeas/couscous

I have always been a fan of chickpeas, but have only just discovered cous cous.

Anyone got any cool ideas of how to use them?

Tigergirl1980 Guest

OMG I LOVE couscous. I make it using chicken stock, as per the instructions on the box. Then I fry up some sliced onion, roast some capsicum and cut that up. Then mix that with the couscous, add a little moroccan spice mix and some feta cheese cut into cubes. Mmmmmm, delicious with grilled chicken breast or roasted lamb.

ooh yum, Bec. I'm always on the look out for tasty food. Sounds great!

I do a similar thing to Bec, I roast pumpkin and saute onions mix with parsley, lemon juice and garlic chuck in some snow peas & thats it. I also cook the cous cous in chicken stock and if I'm feeling protein deficient I roast some chicken legs & chuck them on top.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Mmmmm pumpkin would be good added to that one too, or leave out the capsicum and put pumpkin and pinenuts/walnuts, yummy.

Thanks for this thread, we are doing the CSIRO diet and have just had couscous for the first time and were wondering what else we could do with it. Can you puree it for babies with vegies?

Fee Guest

I love chickpeas!

This is one of my faves:

Chickpea curry

2 x 400g cans chickpeas
    400ml vegetable stock
    300g onions finely chopped
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 green chilli, chopped
    1 tbsp grated ginger
    60ml lemon juice
    90ml oil
    225g tomatoes, chopped (or 1 tin)
    1 tbsp ground coriander seeds
    1 tbsp cumin seeds
    tsp ground turmeric
    2 tsp garam masala
    tsp cayenne pepper

Put 2 tbsp chopped onions, teaspoon salt, green chilli, ginger and lemon juice in a ramekin and put aside.

Heat oil in a large deep frying pan. Add onions and fry in medium heat for 8 minutes till onions brown. Add tomatoes and cook 5 minutes. Add coriander, cumin and turmeric and stir for 30 seconds, then add drained rinsed chickpeas. Add 400ml vegetable stock, and remaining ingredients (garam masala and cayenne pepper). Reduce heat to low, add a lid and simmer for 20 minutes.

Just before serving add the raw onion mix from the ramekin and stir in.

Can be served with rice.

Ahh you girlss are legends! Have written them down to try tonight and tomorrow.
    What else ya got?
    Christine that's actually why I bought the couscous. I mixed it with pumpkin to give to Darcy. She loved it.

As Matilda got older and had fork mashed food I used couscous on its own without bothering to puree it.

Great suggestions, girls!

Last night I combined Christy & Bec's recipes - I did roast pumpkin, onion, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, & moroccan spice mixed with couscous cooked in chicken stock and it turned out really well. Best of all, K really loved it and even ate a few small pieces of pumpkin (he usually dislikes most vegies!).
    Last edited by Angel; January 28th, 2008 at 02:57 PM.

Riley has been eating pureed cous cous with carrot and loves it.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Oh that's great Angel, I'm definitely going to try it with pumpkin next week. Would be good with sweet potato too.

yum yum yum!

Mmmmmm - two of my faves - chickpeas and couscous!!!! Ella loves them too

One different thing to do with couscous is use it instead of bread crumbs over strips of chicken. Roll strips in flour, whisked egg then in cooled cooked couscous. Refridgerate before frying. Serve with lemon wedges, salsa and guacamole!

I also make a couscous and chickpea dish. It has thinly sliced capsicum, red onion, garlic, roasted sweet potato cubes, grated lemon rind, squeeze of lemon juice, boiled chickpeas, couscous cooked in vegetable stock, pistachios, chilli (optional)...and if needed cubes or strips of lightly fried chicken seasoned with morrocan spice.
    I also use this recipe (minus the chicken pieces) as a stuffing inside roast chicken. Once chicken is cooked pull out and serve as a side!
    Last edited by *Rae*; January 17th, 2007 at 07:44 PM.

Rae that sounds very yum - thankyou. Just moroccan spice in a bottle?

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I bought some cous cous yesterday, so I will be all cous coused up next week, hehehehehe, yummy.

Yeah just the spice in the little jar found with the regular herbs and spices in the supermarket.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I'm making cous cous tonight, with onion, roasted capsicum, pumpkin, feta, walnuts and moroccan chicken. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast