Thread: Fantastic Thai (ish) Chicken Salad

Default Fantastic Thai (ish) Chicken Salad

Well, I wanted to make something that could be eaten cold so that DP and I could eat separately without one of us ending up with cold dinner whilst holding the baby - although Euan decided that tonight was the night he'd sleep through dinner and we got to have it together... YAY!

Anyhoo, I also had a whole bunch of vegies in the fridge so this is what I came up with:

Thai Chicken Salad

Ingredients:

2 x chicken breasts

Marinade:
    Juice of 1/2 lime
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    A good splash of soy sauce (so that it balances nicely with the citrus juice)

about 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
    1.5 finely chopped kaffir lime leaves

Dressing
    As per the marinade, but with only about 1 tsp ginger

Salad
    1 packet cellophane (mung-bean thread) noodles
    handful of yellow pear tomatoes
    1 lebanese cucumber - sliced
    1 carrot, shredded
    handful of bean shoots
    1 small head broccoli, cut into small florets and blanched / cooked until still crunchy
    about 10 beans, chopped and blanched
    about 10-15 snow peas, blanched
    1 mango, chopped
    1/2 small bunch coriander, chopped

Marinate chicken breasts for at least 1 hour. Grill/bbq until cooked (brush with marinade whilst cooking if desired, discard any remaining marinade when done), rest for a couple of minutes, then slice thinly.

Cook noodles according to instructions. Toss with remaining salad ingredients, chicken, and dressing.

Enjoy!

ETA - this is a momentous occasion - it's the first proper meal that I've been able to cook since Euan was born! (Although DP has just pointed out that he did cook the chicken on the BBQ so I suppose he deserves some credit...)
    Last edited by suse; January 4th, 2008 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Forgot something...

Wow that sounds great!
    I just wanted to let you know that i know exactly what you are going through regarding meal times!! Zac has a real aversion to me consuming food and drink with 2 hands Today i didn't manage to get him down in his hammock once for a sleep (he only sleeps in the hug a bub or in my arms). Huf it's hard work sometimes, isn't it?!! i might just have to try your salad - generally i eat one handed at dinner times!!

Linds - it sounds like we have twins (well, they were born about 7 minutes apart if I remember rightly!).

I have become most adept at eating one handed - although I actually had to get DP to cut my steak the other night because Euan was insisting that he was going to starve to death if he wasn't also fed (it was my first rare steak since before I was pregnant - OMG it was good, and I wasn't going to let it go cold for anyone!).

I had the same thing with Euan today - he was awake from 9:00am to 8:30pm - utter insanity. Now I have to wake him up again because he finally fell asleep just when I was going to change his nappy and I figured he could get a couple of hours sleep (ie: time for mummy to regain sanity) before we go through it again! Off to tackle the beast now!!

But anything that can be eaten from a bowl one handed is a wonderful thing! I am soooo pleased that I froze a whole bunch of casseroles when I was pregnant - they have been a lifesaver!