Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Freezer Friendly Meal Ideas

Yep I have the Frost Bite book. The author is a regular mum who has developed recipes for babies through to teenagers that can be prepared in advanced and frozen. The recipes are quick, easy and yummy and suitable for the whole family! It's one of my recipe bibles

I'll have to keep my eye out for it... I freeze lots of meals already so that on days that I work I can just pull one out and zap it in the microwave and zap some veges too. I

Default Freezing Meals

I'm planning on cooking some meals before bubs arrives & freezing them in a chest freezer.
    How long can cooked food be frozen for? I'll be making things like soups, lasagna, meat sauce, curries, pies etc if that helps.
    Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't use after 3months, but all those things freeze really well!

I found this guide online, it might be useful?

Casseroles - 2 to 3 months
    Frozen Dinners - 3 to 4 months
    Meat (cooked) - 2 to 3 months
    Poultry (cooked) - 4 months
    Soups and Stews - 2 to 3 months

HTH

Thanks girls. That's heaps of time!! I was afraid it might've only been a couple of weeks or something.

Default Meals for freezing and microwave reheating

My DH and I like to eat main meal at lunchtime (a remnant of our life in Spain I think) so when he is working normal office hours (sometimes he works 3-11 so we get to have meal together) he takes his meal to work and heats in microwave. He is very organised (it scares me!) and cooks up loads of meals and puts in the freezer ready. I get a bit concerned his diet isn't varied enough (he prob has four dishes he has, spag bol, bean chilli, sweet sour chicken, and something else) so am always looking for new dishes. I got a book out of the library about freezing food but most of it is not suitable for a simple microwave reheat - anyone got any good recipes (or know of a good book) for food that can be frozen and then just heated up in microwave (or even stuff I can make day before and put in fridge overnight for next day) - particularly interested in any recipes with fish?

no idea re fish based meals, but you can do almost anything in the slow cooker with a saucy/gravyish base and reheat in the microwave. DH does it all the time - faves are braised lamb/beef (with lotsa veg), spag bol, chooken bol, sweet and sour chicken, curried chicken... ummmm any pasta/sauce dish will generally heat well. most stuff, as long as high in moisture, will reheat well from freezing.

we make a mean chicken vegie/pasta bake - lotsa veg, chicken, white/cheese sauce. doesn't have to be baked, can be frozen as is and reheated - tastes awesome - if it's baked, it's just a little yummier. had it without baking last night - tonight i'm baking it. droool!

Default Moroccan Fish Stew

We freeze this Moroccan fish stew, by Bill Grainger - it is light and yummy. Sometimes I just freeze the base and add the fish on the day or freeze the whole lot.

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 large onion, thinly sliced
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    1 cinnamon stick
    pinch of cayenne pepper
    400g tin chopped tomatoes
    pinch of sea salt
    500g firm white fish fillets (such as cod, snapper or ling), cut into chunks
    400 g (14 oz) tin chickpeas, rinsed
    2 teaspoons honey
    freshly ground black pepper

To serve
    fresh coriander leaves
    flaked almonds, lightly toasted

Serving Suggestion:
    Serve garnished with coriander and flaked almonds

Method:
    Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based pan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric and cinnamon and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more, or until fragrant.

Add the cayenne, tomatoes, salt and 250 ml (1 cup) of water and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.

Add the fish and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the fish is just tender. Add the chickpeas and honey and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Season to taste.

HTH.

fish curry - you can look up goan fish curry or do this quick one i do when i dont have time to do the whole shebang...

cut up some firm white fish (ling or snapper is great)
    toss in garam masala and turmeric
    cut up a white oniona nd some garlic, fry in a little olive oil with some sea salt until soft. add fish and spices
    add some more indian spices such as curry leaves, mustard seeds, cardamon, cloves (whatever you have) and some cut up red chillis (to taste)
    pout in a tin of lite coconut creama nd some tamarind paste - bring to simmer...
    simmer about 10-15 mins until fish cooked through - may want to add more spices depending on taste
    add some spinach or bok choy leaves and cover - simmer 5 mins and wilt greens
    serve with rice
    i sometimes also chop up some corriander and sprinkle on top.
    delicious (kids also love this)

I also make a fish and preserved lemon tagine which freezes well.

you can freeze portions of the curry with rice and the tagine with cous cous

Thanks for the replies I will def try those fish recipes and I had never thought of freezing pasta bake cheers BG

Default freezer friendly

I want to start making DH's lunches in batches and freezing them (hes more of a meal person than a sandwich person) I dont mind making his lunches as i love cooking. They have fridges and microwaves at his work which is a new thing for us we are used to having to find lunches that are ok to sit in a warm truck all day.
    So does anyone have any suggestions on what i can make fairly cheaply in bulk for DH's lunchs
    TIA

Pasta sauce
    Macaroni Cheese
    Lasagna (but I guess that can get expensive)
    Curried Sausages
    Chicken Casserole
    Beef Casserole
    Soups
    Fried Rice
    Risottos
    Quiche
    These are some meals I make & freeze for our dinner.
    If you get a vac sealer & freeze in portions the meals will last for months.

I can't believe not many replies for this.....

Well potato and couscous do not freeze well as sides, but potato is ok in casseroles for some reason. Rice and pasta freeze and thaw well. Gravy won't do the freeze/thaw process either.

Theres' heaps we do

stirfries
    apricot chicken
    savoury mince
    bolognese
    curries
    rissoles
    meatballs in sauce with spaghetti
    stoganoff
    salmon/tuna mornay...

Just depends on what he likes.
    Get him to make a list.

MrsS,
    Go to the Taste website and search "freezer friendly", there are over 400 recipes to get you started

we tend to look at what you can have in a sauce/gravy sort of base and use that - it generally freezes and reheats well... we do things like cottage/shepherds pie, pasta (with any number of sauces), vegie bakes etc... basically anything we can make in a saucy base we'll freeze. we mix rice into the meal rather than having it seperate - it seems to reheat better (IMO)

thanks heaps! for some reason (dont know why!) i thought you werent allowed to freeze pastas and rices etc and that the sauces would go funny if creamy

Default recipes to use up and freeze...

excess tomato and zucchini (for a start) - the weather here has the plants going insane! we're averaging about a kilo a day of tomato and heaps to go (dropped tomatos have self seeded and newplants coming on!). and the zucchinis are just insane! there is at least 5kg of lrge zuc's to pic, and the plants have a huge number of flowers still!

we dont want to waste any of it obviously, and have already given away zuc's to everyone we can think of - so, spam me with suggestions for freezable recipes... would love some tried and tested spag bol sauces etc if you have them

TIA
    BG

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast