Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Freezer Friendly Meal Ideas

Default Freezer Friendly Meal Ideas

Hello all - I am newly PG (4 weeks) and have just found out DH will be going O/S for about 4 months from the middle of next month :eek:. I remember how tired I was during first trimester last time round so I'm looking for some ideas of dinners we can lay down in the deep freezer before he goes - looking for some variety, healthy choices and preferably some nice veggie things as well.

Here's my usual repertoire of cook and freeze:
    lasagna (of course)
    quiche
    moussaka
    sausage and bean casserole
    tuna mornay (freezes surprisingly well)
    fish pie
    chicken/pumpkin/lentil soup
    cauliflower cheese.

We will be heading into autumn so things that can be reheated in the oven are fine.

Any ideas?
    :-)

I usually always have Spag bol sauce (so I only have to cook the pasta), curries, vege/meat and vege soup, or just meat and veg casseroles.

stirfries are easy!
    casseroles
    blanched vegies
    quiches
    meat pies

well you can do anything that you'd find in the frozen food section of the supermarkethave a look for some idea's
    rice and curry, pizza, all the mccain meals like roast meats, potatoes, veg..etc, pasta meals (just dont cook the pasta 'aldente' before freezing, leave it slightly undercooked - that way it wont be mushy when defrosted but just right), any soup (just add cream when defrosted if it has it), what about veggie burgers or meat patties (cooked or uncooked), spaghetti bog sauce, used for other things like shepard's pie (spag sauce with frozen veg mix and topped with mash potato and cheese), lasagne, canneloni (i have 2 yummy veg recipes if you want just ask). taco meat already cooked, then just have to chop up salad stuff...

other meals / things like chicken kiev/cordon bleu/ marinated chicken wingettes uncooked in freezer, you just defrost the night before in fridge, they cook quickly and easily in the oven by themselves, just add some oven fries and frozen veg or coleslaw (buy ready made)??

i'd just think of your normal meals and then figure out if they are ok frozen? there are lists on the internet about what freezes well and what doesn't

Curries are great frozen - they taste even better the second time around.
    I usually just use a jar of Pataks curry paste, add a tin of chopped tomatoes plus whatever the back of the curry jar suggests (e.g. lamb, etc) - scrumptious!

This is a great thread - I'm going to start stocking up my deep freezer for after Bean arrives, so I don't have to cook so often and DH can have some time off too.

OMG - how funny! We made a list at dinner tonight! LOL. Coz DH desperately needs to take lunch to work.. he's spending way too much, and being about to TTC #2, I know I was hopeless in the 1st trimester too.. so I need to stock up on dinners as well! I've gotta get cooking!

Here's what we came up with:

• Fried rice
    • curries
    • stir fries
    • vegetable soup
    • chicken/veg soup
    • roast (will cook a massive roast - this will carve up to be MANY dinners! I was also thinking of freezing the meat portions first, then opening up the container and throwing in some frozen veg from packets! LOL. but I'd still do my own potatoes probably.
    • Chilli Pork (to go with freshly cooked noodles)
    • Other meat sauces that only need pasta/noodles/rice to be cooked.

Poor DH lived on lean cuisines last time. LOL. He quite likes them tho, so he didn't mind - and I think he lost a bit of weight too with the small portions! LOL.

Any sauces are good to freeze..

Cannerloni ( i cook a yummy chicken one)
    Um i cant think today leave it with and good luck........

Ladies thanks very much for the suggestions, Please post any canneloni recipes you have cos the only way i know how to make it is spinach and ricotti in the filling with tomato on the outside!

Curries are a great idea, however since it'll just be DD and me (and she doesn't always enjoy spicy foods) might have to give that one a miss. Veggie burgers and pizzas are a good idea too. The idea of doing a roast (it would freeze quite well in the gravy, I think) is a goodie, and also I'd forgotten that for years I did a really mean shepherd's pie. Using Sweet potato topping's a good way to lower the GI of it too!

Keep those ideas coming!

Do you have a slow cooker?
    Beef casserole and beef strog (leave out the sour cream until you reheat it) freeze really well, and are cheap and easy.
    I also marinate uncooked chicken breasts and freeze them in snaplock bags, marinade and all. Then just defrost and bake in the oven or throw them on the barbie.

grr i a having massive problems trying to post here with the other one

BEAN CANNELLONI

1 tablespoon oil
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 medium red capsicum, finely chopped
    1 medium green capsicum, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
    1 tablespoon fresh chooped basil
    1 x 440g can 4-bean mix, drained and rinsed
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    12 instant cannelloni shells
    1 x 425g chunky pasta sauce (or you could make sauce from recipe above)

Heat oil in a pan, add garlic and onion; cook, stirring, until onion is soft. Add capsicums stir for 3 minutes. Stir in herbs.

Blend or process half the bean mix until smooth. Combine with remaining bean mix, onion mixture and tomato paste.

Spoon mixture into cannelloni shells.

Spoon a quarter of the pasta sauce over base of a heatproof dish (8-cup capacity). Top with filled cannelloni; spoon remaining sauce over top.

Cook in a moderate oven, 180 degree C, for about 25 minutes, or until heated through.
    Last edited by johT; January 14th, 2007 at 12:49 PM.

Debbie Lee Guest

Marydean - do you have a slow cooker? Just about every casserole you can cook in your SC can be frozen. Check out the SCer thread for some great recipes I'll be slow cooking madly in the 3rd trimester to stock up on meals for when little bee is here.

LEEK AND MUSHROOM CANNELLONI

1 large leek
    1 medium onion
    olive oil for frying
    125 (4 oz) mushrooms, very finely chopped (I like swiss brown or portabella)
    125-175g (4-6oz) well favoured cheese, grated

1 small onion, very finely chopped
    400g can tomatoes
    1 vegetable stock cube
    300 ml (1/2 pint) hot water
    a dash of vegetarian worchestire sauce
    15 instant no need to precook cannelloni tubes

to be continued...aurgh!! why cant i post
    Last edited by johT; January 14th, 2007 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johT View Post
    PREHEAT OVEN TO 190 degrees C, or according to cannelloni packet instructions.
    Use a food processor to chop leek and medium onion very finely. Heat some olive oil in a pan and fry them until softened. Add the mushrooms and cheese, and cook, stirring until the vegetables are golden. Once the cheese has melted into the mixture, remove from heat and leave to cool.
    Meanwhile, in a separate fry pan, fry the small onion in a little oil ,until brown. Stir in tomatoes. Mix stock cube with hot water and add to onion and tomatoes with the worchestire sauce. Cook the mixture until reduced by half. Fill the cannelloni with the leek and cheese mixture and place them in a greaseproof ovendish. Pour over the tomato sauce and bake for 25-30 mins.
    just posting for Joh

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Tuna patties
    homemade sausage rolls
    egg and bacon pie
    homemade pasties

Ok heres a GREAT one:

Chicken and Cheese Canneloni

600g Jar Mild 'n' Chunky Salsa
    2tsp crushed garlic
    300g chicken mince
    1/4 tsp chicken stock powder
    250g tub smooth ricotta cheese
    1/4 Cup chopped fresh herbs (i just use mixed herbs in the jar just as good)
    120 pkt instant canneloni (i always buy 2 pkts just incase)
    30g Butter
    2Tbl Plain flour
    1 1/4 cups milk
    3/4 cup grated tasty cheese
    1tsp pepper

1. Set oven at 180c, grease pan (i use a large lasagne dish), spoon salsa into dish and set aside.
    2. Place Garlic, chicken mince, stock powder, ricotta and herbs into a bowl and mix well.. Spoon or pipe into canneloni tubes and place ina single layer over the salsa.
    3. Heat butter in a small pan. Add flour and cook for 1 min. Remove from heat and add milk gradually stirring constantly. Return to heat and cook for 3-4 mins or until thick and smooth. Stir in 1/2 cheese.
    4. Pour the sauce over the canneloni tubes and sprinkle with remaining cheese (i always add extra cheese) and pepper.. Bake for 35-40mins or until canneloni is tender (cheese melted and starting to brown).....

YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flea - what marinades do you use on the chicken breasts? I LOVED that idea as I LOVE chicken so I thought I would ask. I usually throw a thawed chicken breast in the oven with olive oil and lemon pepper seasoning sprinkled on top and it is YUM but new ideas are always good!

Thanks ladies, those cannelloni recipes sound superb (tho if I get lazy I might just use the large shells - easier to stuff)! YUM!

I'm going to print these out and get cooking!

Another thing I'm doing is making a big batch of chicken stock, and a big batch of wontons. Freeze it all.. and it's really easy to whip up a quick soup! Just chop up some shallots, chuck it in the stock, add some sesame oil, and some chicken powder... throw in some wontons, fishballs... anything you like! LOL. DH love it. Oh and some chopped chilli

But it's really handy having a big batch of wontons in the freezer (uncooked.. but frozen). They are fiddly to make tho.. need a whole afternoon to sit and make them. hehe.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast