Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: French Toast Recipes & Tips

Talking French Toast Recipes & Tips

2 eggs
    2 cups of milk
    1 tsp vanilla essence
    1/4 cup white sugar
    8-10 pieces of white bread, or 4-6 slices of thick sliced home made bread

Mix the eggs, milk & essence together. Dunk each piece in the mix and set aside on a plate. Fry each piece of bread till brown on both sides and set aside. Get yourself a cookie sheet and place the cooked toast on the cookie sheet and bake in a hot oven for 5-10 mins then turn and another 5-10 mins (keeping an eye on it). This is how you get SUPER crunchy french toast that is soft and custardy in the middle. Yes it does take an hour from start to finish... but I assure you it is well worth it. I don't like the cook the bread in milk then dip in egg version so I LOVE this version And make sure you serve it up with lashings of canadian maple syrup and crispy fried bacon (if you like it which we do!)

yummo!!!

Talking French Toast

Hey ladies,

Just wondering if anyone has a nice French Toast recipe and any tips in making it!!??

~Amelia.

I just mix a couple of eggs & a bit of milk together & fry it in butter.
    Are there more exciting ways to make it?

I use 1 egg per slice of bread philosophy but it can be less as you make more.

So in our house its 6 eggs to 8 slices of bread, 2 tbsp lemonaide or orange juice, 2 tsp cinnamon and a sprinkle of salt whisked together well. The older the bread, the more absorbant it is, so if you have older bread you need more eggs. I soak the bread for a while on both sides until its well and truely spongey and full of egg and then fry it both sides.

We sometimes bulk it up for a light lunch - instead of soaking then frying a single piece of bread, I start by making simple sandwiches - ham, cheese and mustard works well - then soaking and frying the whole thing so that the cheese melts inside.

If you are trying to recreate the classic french pain perdu dish where the bread is meltingly soft and works really well with a little sweet syrup then it's worth starting with a fresh brioche instead of normal bread.

Wish I'd started reading this BEFORE I made mine this morning....YUMMMM...top ideas guy thanks

Yumo! I love french toast. I've done a oven baked version with cream and eggs over a vienna loaf. It's a "delicious" recipe so you can find it online.

I usually just whish an egg and dip the bread before frying. Juz said another way is to spread vegemite on both sides of the toast before dipping in egg. I like the sound of that too. I don't like sweet stuff so I never dust icing sugar over the toast or pour maple syrup like they do in Canada but I sprinkle a bit of salt over it

Nutella sandwich french toast is goooooood! I also use the Nigella "donut" french toast recipe, where you get french toast and dip it in caster sugar (after its cooked) and serve with warm strawberry sauce (home made) and its like hot jam donuts *YUM*

Pain Perdu is good, but I'm lazy and I'd rather dip my bread in the entire mix rather than the cooled boiled milk and then the egg. I seem to ALWAYS make so much mess LOL!

Default French toast?

I want to make french toast for breakfast on Sunday for DH's first Father's Day. I've never made it though and can't find a recipe in any of my cook books. Anyone got a fool proof recipe for me?

For the egg mix I use eggs, a little bit of milk (not much though), a little bit of sugar & a little bit of cinnamon & wisk it all together. Dunk the bread in, I dont let it soak too long & cook on a low heat so it cooks through without burning or ending up soggy in the middle.

The other thing you can do before you put the bread in the egg mix is put some jam between 2 slices of bread & then put in the egg mix. It tastes like a jam doughnut when its cooked.

When its done I sprinkle with icing sugar or a mix of cinnamon & sugar

HTH

Ooh, sounds yum - thanks Daydream Believer

I'm a savoury french toast girl...
    A few eggs, a dollop of cream, salt, pepper, whisk it together lightly and dunk the bread.
    In th epan, low-med heat, sprinkle of chives on the raw side.
    Serve with slow roasted balsamic tomoatoes, mushrooms and lightly sauteed ham

**drool**

if ya want a svoury version

• 4 rashers bacon
    • 4slices bread
    • 1 egg
    • milk
    • pepper

1. remove bacon rinds and soak bacon in milk for 1 hr
    2. thouroughly dry bacon and place in a wamr pan which has been brushed with oil
    3. cook slowly until crispy then remove from pan
    4. remove crusts from bread and soak in the milk the bacon was in
    5. dip quickly into beaten egg and fry until golden brown in the bacon oil
    6. drain on papaer
    7. serve with strips of bacon on top

Ohhhh yummmmm...

I'm similar to DB, but less precise...chuck some eggs and a little milk (I always add too much, I have to remember to use less milk than I do with my scrambled eggs, which evaporate a bit), and then I fry and then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

I've not made the savoury ones before, but I reckon dh wouldn't mind a bit of egg and bacon action on father's day.

Nigella's Doughnut french toast with raspberry sauce is great...

As is Bill Grangers Chocolate french toast...

Let me know if you want recipes

Yes x2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast