Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandwiches, Lunches & Light Meals

ragged_blossom Guest

Default Sandwiches, Lunches & Light Meals

Here is one my husband absolutely loves, but I don't because I'm a vegetarian. They can be served hot or cold and last a while in the fridge or freezer. Great for lunches. You could even slice them up to put in sandwiches.

Scotch Egg Muffins

You will need a 6 large cup muffin pan greased and oven 180 celcius

Hard boil 6 eggs, cooled and peeled.

Take
    750gm sausage mince
    mixed italian herbs
    1 cup breadcrumbs
    some sauteed sliced mushrooms or onions (if you like, you can put whatever you like to add extra flavour, or just leave it out)
    2 eggs
    1/3 cup tomato paste
    2/3 cup grated cheese

Divide about half the mixture into muffin pan, moulding the mix into each muffin cup to leave a big enough dip in the middle for an egg to fit in. Place an egg in the centre of each muffin pan and then cover each egg with the remaining sausage mixture till the eggs are completely covered and look like muffins in shape. Glaze each muffin with a little barbecue sauce.

Cook for 20 mins or until meat is cooked through, stand for 5 minutes after cooking, and then serve.

For a great side dish

sautee some chickpeas with capsicum, tomatoes, onion and spinach (or whatever you prefer) and serve along side the scotch eggs.

I hope I explained it all ok.

Have fun with you eggs!

p.s. we have 180,000 chickens at our farm :shock:

Default French Toast Recipe Request

Hi there everyone,

I have felt like making french toast lately although I have no idea how it is made, though I know it is quite simple? Also do you have toppings on it as well? Sorry if these questions seem silly, I just have always wondered!

TIA

nellbe

When it comes to french toast I have never really used a recipe, I have just whisked together a couple of eggs, some milk, a dash of nutmeg, and some sugar, then just soak each piece of bread and fry in the pan. I usually have maple syrup & butter with my french toast but you can have fresh or cooked fruit, icing sugar, fruit syrups anything you want really. I have heard in the US they even serve french toast with bacon and maple syrup (which you wouldn't do being vegetarian LOL) so really its up to you I don't think there are any hard and fast rules

Some poeple like to use different types of bread for french toast, ie sourdough (I don't really like this) or fruit loaf (quite nice).

I will have a dig for a good recipe and post here for you

*hugs*
    Cailin

mmmm.... I do the same, I whisk up a few eggs with milk, I use cinnamon. Then soak the bread in it for a small amount of time, like 30 seconds... then I fry it up & serve it with maple syrup... I also cut my own bread to be quite thick.

I've also had it pretty flash before served with grilled tomatos & homemade tomato relish?? It was really yummy, but definately savoury!

We have made it with left over hot dogs rolls cut into thick chunks which was really yummy.

We do the savoury version though - whisk some eggs with milk, add Italian mixed herbs & grated cheese. Then soak the bread in it, but not for too long & put it in the frypan. It also works really well on the BBQ.

Default Help!! Sandwich ideas for big people

Hi guys! It's Mitchells birthdayon Sunday, I'm not having it at home, and there is no oven where I'll be. I want to make some yummy sandwiches, but am getting stuck.
    What is your favorite sanger??? any ideas much appreciated.

Can you cook up a lot of baguettes beforehand? There are those part baked/bake at home baguettes from Coles/Woolies which are gorgeous. Bake them at home and when they are cool, slice them all open and then fill with any of the below:

~ Grilled chicken that has been marinaded in sweet chilli sauce, with lettuce, tomato and mayo
    ~ Tuna mayo, with lettuce and cucumber
    ~ Hard-boiled egg and mayo, maybe curried?
    ~ Salami and soft cheese with lettuce, tomato and mayo

(The above are just my faves!)

Once they are all filled, cut in half & you could serve them all on a big platter, or individually wrapped?

These would make a big lunch? Then just laods of cut fruit as a dessert? (Watermelon, rockmelon, grapes, pineapple?)

~ Turkey, Brie/Camembert, Cranberry sauce/quince paste.
    ~ Smoked salmon, creamed cheese, spring onions.
    ~ Roast Beef, Lettuce/rocket, tomato chutney.
    ~ Terriyaki Chicken, lettuce, tomato & Mayonnaise (Japanese even better )
    ~ Egg & Cucumber, mayonnaise sandwhiches (for those who might not like meat).

Thats all I can think of for now LOL!

*hugs*
    Cailin

How about chargrilled/roasted vegies with brie cheese? Yum - you can buy chargrilled/roasted vegies from a deli or from jars so you don't do it yourself.

Smoked salmon, cream cheese and alfapha bagels are yummy too

Sal Guest

For something different, you can buy some pumpernickel bread (the very dark compact bread that is sold in slices) and put cream cheese and smoked salmon (and perhaps capers if takes your fancy) on them. They are designed to be open sangers, i.e. no top, just the slice with the topping on them. Very delish and easy to eat.

I cut open a turkish bread loaf & layer in it roasted pumpkin, spinach, fetta cheese & tomato & wrap it all up in aluminium foil and brush the top with olive oil & cook for 15 minutes to get it all warm...then take the foil off the top & let the top toast...slice it and serve.... =P~

I love this on thick wholemeal. Ham, lettuce, tomato,cucumber, thinly sliced red onion and mustard (seeded wholegrain). DELISH!!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I have a few ideas.

I love asparagus rolls. You cut the crusts off the bread and lightly butter one side. Drain a can of asparagus spears and lay them on some paper towel for a few minutes to dry. Lay 1-2 asparagus spears diagonally across a piece of the buttered bread. Bring each corner on either side of the asparagus spear/s until they meet in the middle and secure them with a toothpick.

Ummmm, what about chopped cooked chicken, mixed in with mayo, some spring onions and some curry powder?

Or you could get some pita bread, put on some ham or chicken and salad or whatever, roll em up and cut them in half, and have pita rolls.

That's all I can think of apart from most of your standard sandwiches, have you tried a google search for recipes and then looking for sandwiches at the sites or even googling sandwiches? That might give you a few more ideas.

HTH

You are all lifesavers, I've just done a big shop, so I am ready to go!! I was worried before - now I'm looking forward to getting it all ready, my mouth is watering.

Christy - I have been looking for a recipe similar to yours - YAY, I'm gonna make that for lunch on Monday!!

Thanks to you all! XXXOOO

Default ...on toast

cinnamon sugar..

I love cinnamon sugar on toast and DP things this is a little strange, does anyone else have a strange preferance for their toast topping?

Yum! I havent' had this for years. Do you toast it under the grill after buttering your toast and sprinkling cinnamon sugar on it? It goes all yummy and crunchy when you do!

Funny you should mention that. I had cinnamon toast everyday in the early stages of this pregnancy. Hadn't had it for years before that!! Its so good, especially with lots of melted marg underneath!!!!

~ Vegemite but returned to the grill after spreading.....it goes a different texture and takes on a smokey flavour.........

~ Nutella & cinnamon and banana

~On COLD soggy toast.....lots of real butter and very bitter English marmalade.........

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast