Thread: fried rice?

Default fried rice?

i just did up a 4 weekly meal planner to save money and be more organised and one of the meals is Fried Rice. i can't seem to find a yummy quick and easy recipe. Anyone have one you would like to share??

I basically use whatever I have on hand - it's a great way to use left over meat. I made one the other night and it was something like this:

Steam 2 - 4 cups of long grain rice
    While it's cooking make a 3 egg omelette and cut into small pieces
    When rice is cooked, rinse it
    Fry some chopped bacon and finely chopped carrots in a wok or large pan
    Add some finely chopped capsicum
    Add some let over meat (or pork pieces, or chicken pieces)
    Add some peas
    Add the rice and stir well
    Add Japanese soy until rice is brown (can use normal soy but Japanese is really nice)
    Add some chili paste or sauce to taste
    Taste, and if necessary add more soy and/or chili
    Add the chopped omelette and bean sprouts
    Fry for about 5 mins then serve.

HTH, ours was yummy.

My fried rice is very simular to mels,
    I use frozen veg. that are already cut to the right size when I'm short of time as I find it's the prep. that takes the most time.
    I don't like the rice to be to gluggy so I stop cooking it just before it's fully cooked and rinse it to stop the cooking process. the rice gets heated again at the end when I toss everything in and give a stir for a few minutes.
    I like to cook this on the bbq. it adds to the flavor . In the wok or frying pan will work, I like to spread the rice out so that it doesn't stick.

Yeah good point Rosehannah - DH often makes it on the BBQ and it is just divine!

I cheat and buy the already cooked rice in the packet with egg already in it - you find this in the rice section in supermarkets.
    I also buy fried rice paste for the flavouring (you'll find thus in the Asian section in supermarkets) and add similar ingredients that the other posters use.

I make Kylie Kwongs... its hear sometimes I'll find it for you!

oooo thank you all so much yummo!

Smile

The trick to getting it yummy is in the rice. It pays to boil the rice before its made into fried rice, and leaving it to cool. Then its just a matter of adding whatever you wish, with a splash of soya sauce in a hot wok. Use sesame oil for extra flavour. Basmati rice makes a good fried rice. To cook put 1 cup uncooked rice in pot, add 1 cup boiling water, add salt, cover, bring back to boil, then simmer on lowest setting until all the water has absorbed. Test with a fork. This is an easy way to get yummy glug free rice to use straight away.

Yum its making me want to make some tonight!!

I cook 3 cups of jasmine rice and leave it to cool. I fry up 3 eggs and put it aside. Then I fry up some shallots, ginger, garlic & chilli, add some chopped up bbq pork (asian bbq pork that is), add the rice, put the egg back in, and add a cup of frozen peas & corn, mix it all up and add about 1/4 cup of soy sauce.. we've found the best to be Lee Kum Kee soy sauce - stay away from Kikkoman hehe. There's so many different soys for different uses.. you might need to try a few different ones for your tastes. My rice is only ever a failure due to the amount of soy sauce.. and usually it's not enough heh. If your fried rice is still white.. it's more than likely going to be very tasteless. I've found this in restaurants and takeaways too. blerk.

You can add bean sprouts in there somewhere too, but I don't like em. And if the cook doesn't like it.. nobody else gets it either! hehehehe.

Ok here is the one I use and I have never ever had one better...

Delicious fried rice - Kylie Kwong

Fried rice is one of those lovely comforting foods that everyone in the world seems to like — no one is intimidated by fried rice. Somehow all these rogue ingredients have crept into restaurant versions over the years, such as corn, peas, ham and the like. I find the trick with fried rice is to keep it really simple and traditional — just some really fresh and fluffy eggs, onion, bacon or Chinese sausage, ginger and some spring onions.

Serves: supper for 2-4; part of a banquet for 6

Ingredients

1/3 cup peanut oil
    4 large free-range eggs, beaten
    1 tablespoon peanut oil, extra
    11/2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
    4 garlic cloves, diced
    1 medium-sized brown onion, finely diced
    1/2 cup roughly chopped rindless bacon rashers or Chinese sausage
    1 teaspoon white sugar
    2 tablespoons Shao Hsing wine
    5 cups cooked medium-grain white rice
    1 tablespoon oyster sauce
    1 cup finely sliced spring onions (scallions)
    3 teaspoons Maggi seasoning
    1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
    2 spring onions (scallions), finely sliced on the diagonal
    1/4 cup light soy sauce
    1/2 large red chilli, finely sliced on the diagonal
    Method

Heat oil in a hot wok until the surface seems to shimmer slightly. Pour beaten eggs into wok and cook for about 1 minute, lightly scrambling them and rotating the wok to ensure even cooking. When almost cooked through, carefully remove omelette from wok with a fish slice and drain on kitchen paper. Set aside.

Wipe out wok with kitchen paper, add extra oil and stir-fry ginger and garlic for 1 minute, or until very aromatic. Add onion and stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until lightly browned and tender. Add bacon and stir-fry for a further minute, or until lightly browned. Stir in sugar and wine, then stir-fry for 30 seconds.

Finally, add rice, reserved omelette, oyster sauce, spring onions, Maggi seasoning and sesame oil. Stir-fry for 3 minutes, or until rice is heated through. Roughly chop omelette into smaller pieces as you stir.

Divide rice between individual bowls and garnish with extra spring onions. Combine soy sauce and chilli in a small bowl and serve on the side.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I'm going to sounds horribly immodest but I've not met someone who doesn't love my fried rice, and my trick is to boil the rice with chicken stock and a few slices of ginger.

Amelia Guest

Sushee - You stole my tip!! I do 3/4 chicken stock and 1/4 water whenever I cook rice!!

ooooo so many great variations, im thinking the chicken stock and ginger is the way to go, you have sold me on your unbeatable fried rice Sushee! Cant wait to make it now!

Smile

Yum Sushee thats a great I idea about the stock and ginger! The Kylie Wong one sounds great too Cailin!