thread: Gravy

Jul 2007
    Over the rainbow

Gravy

I need a quick recipe to make gravy from scratch and then also a recipe that use the panfats from the meat.

Thanks in advance!!

Jan 2009

Not sure about from scratch - as I always use the pan juices not sure what you would use for flavour.
    But to make from pan juices, add a bit of water to get the juices and good bits off bottom of pan - I usually put mine in a dish in the freezer for a while to set the fat and scoop it off, much healthier. Then simply mix some cornflour and water together, either microwave or put into a saucepan and do on stovetop.

Feb 2008

Don't know about "from scratch" But I always make a gravy from the pan while the roast meat is resting.

Put pan directly over heat (on Low), add a decent dash of water/stock or wine (red for red meats and white for Chicken). Use a spoon to deglaze the pan, lifting all of those gorgeous baked on goodies!

Throw in a spoon of flour (plain) and stir (or wisk if necessary) your gravy to make sure you don't have any lumps. You then need to cook this off for a bit, the flour will thicken up the gravy but you need to cook it so that you don't taste the raw flour.

Add more water/stock as you need it to make the gravy as thick/thin as you want.

Then add in any other flavourings you may need, salt and pepper, my favourite is a tsp of vegimite for a real kick - great in beef, lamb and chicken gravys.

And you are done!!

You could always follow Paul Kelly's advice and "don't forget a dollop of tomato sauce for sweetness and that extra tang"!!

Jul 2007
    Over the rainbow

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I love the idea of letting it sit in the freezer for a while to get the fat out ... DH would have a stroke if he catch me doing this That's a great tip, although it's only DH that eats gravy, so ... might leave the fat in there as a treat once in a while

I'm definatly going to try and make my own gravy asap and sure as hell going to add some vegimite ... and tomato sauce. DH is a sucker for all things saucy and tangy!!