Thread: Homemade Pesto for Pasta

Default Homemade Pesto for Pasta

Ok - i'm sure I have a receipe somewhere but in my very lazy hazy pregnant state I can't be bothered looking...

Does anyone make their own pesto and how? I don't have a morta and pestal but a mix master and a blender.... I have a heap of basil, chives and parsely growing in my herb pots that I need to use up.... I also have a heap of crushed garlic in the fridge...

Thanks heaps.

MG

Hey mother goose

Here's mine (well...it's not mine...it's Jamie Oliver's)...but it's gorgeous

1/2 clove of garlic chopped
    Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
    3 handfuls of fresh basil
    Handful of pine nuts
    Handful of fresh grated parmesan cheese
    Extra virgin olive oil

Method
    Pound garlic with a pinch of salt and the basil leaves in a pestle and mortar, or pulse in a food processor. Add pine nuts and pound again. Put into a bowl and add half of parmesan. Stir in gently and add olive oil. Season to taste, then add some of the remaining cheese and more olive oil. Repeat until desired consistency. If you want you may add a squeeze of fresh lemon to add a little “twang” Try it with or without and see which you prefer.

I normally at least double the garlic amount (I love my pesto really garlicky and also I had a fair whack of salt too)...not particularly healther...but yummy!

I go out to my herb garden & pick massive amounts of pesto in a pruning process

I then stick it in the processor & add 1 clove garlic, 1/2 cup roasted pine nuts, rock salt & pepper, and then drizzle in cold pressed olive oil until it goes to the right consistency.

Thats the way I cook... I just chuch stuff in until I get what I want The only reason I don't add the cheese in the processor is I'm on a dairy free diet, and before that I would just stir in finely grated parmesan afterwards...

just want to say too... if you want a stronger cheesy flavour peccorino goes really well! Or you can do half and half

*hugs*
    Cailin

Thanks lovelies! Guess what I'm having for dinner tomorrow night! I suspected it was as simple as you ladies have written but always doubt this cotton wool brain!

Love MG

ETA: Just a thought - how long does it keep for?
    Last edited by Mother Goose; January 18th, 2007 at 08:15 PM.

I have kept it in the fridge for a week, probably longer..., but I also usually freeze a portion and use that on pizzas or other stuff later.

Annnnd it goes great in whole egg mayonnaise...

Annnnnd chicken tenders marinated in pesto then roll in panko bread crumbs and cooked in the oven...

*hugs*
    Cailin

LOL - thanks girls! Will definately be having it with chicken as well Cai! I have so many herbs out there I'm sure I could make enough to last at least a month!

anddddd I put sundried tomatoes in the blender too as it thickens it up and is great if you run out of basil and need a bit extra