Thread: Leftover Christmas Baked Ham - what to do?

Cool Leftover Christmas Baked Ham - what to do?

G'day Ladies and Gents,

Any ideas on recipes for leftover ham?

I've made sangas, omlettes and tonight we're having potato & ham fritters.

When we're down to the bone it will become soup, but how to get there is the question ...

Ta in advance,
    kaz

Kaz - I saw them make this salad on Better Homes & Gardens (actually it could have been on Sunrise with the guy from BH&G)

XMAS HAM CEASER SALAD

Shred some Coz Lettuce into a bowl....

Cut some slices off a frech stick (or baguette) and shallow fry in some oil until crispy
    Cut of some nice slices of ham and grill on the BBQ or hotplate (or cook in the oil from the bread until crispy)

Add the ham to the lettuce and crumble up the bread (crutons) on top. Then using a vegetable peeler, peel some pieces of parmasen cheese.

He then made up a mayo using oil, salt/pepper, garlic, anchovies, and the soft boiled egg, but i don't remember exactly what he did, but you could always just buy a ceaser dressing and add the soft boiled egg to the salad....

It looked sooooo yummy....i might even go to the Sunrise website and see if they have the recipe there for you...

What about making a carbonara pasta? or using as a pizza topping and shredding it?

Okay Kaz,

I found it on the Sunrise Website, but i think they've adjusted it a little. On the show they mixed the anchovies with the mayo and eggs, and i went into detail in my other post on how they did the other things.....Good luck hun, hope you enjoy it if you decide to make it....

BBQ ham caesar salad
    250g carved leg ham
    1 cos lettuce, torn
    1 cup croutons
    1/2 cup shaved parmesan
    1/2 bunch parsley leaves
    4 boiled eggs, quartered
    2 anchovies, chopped
    2 tbsp mayonnaise

Barbecue the ham, then toss the lettuce, croutons, parmesan and parsley in the mayonnaise and dress with eggs, anchovies and ham.

You could also cut off big chunky slices, pan fry along with some pineapple slices, then when both are warmed through and nicely coloured, pop the pineapple on the ham, top with your favourite cheese and throw in the oven until the cheese is meltled and bubbly...YUMMO!!!

i chopped ours up, along with some capsicum, peas, corn and some chicken (lso a xmas day leftover) and put it in with on of those continental packet mixes (i used the alfredo one) Tasted great, and both of the kids ate it (we made heaps, so i froze some portions for the kids)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by caro View Post

Oh to have Cold Leftover Ham on the bone with Salad PHOOEY !

LOL
    exactly ... most of the ham things I do are cold, so cooked is confusing ...

Shan - thanks for the recipe there, greatly appreciated.

I made a beautiful carbonara (as Sherie said) tonight with onion, garlic (heaps of it!!), chopped ham and cream (lite cream). Poured over fettucine - yummo!

Caro - the poached egg/muffin idea sounds great - I hadn't thought of that. Ohh maybe some hollandaise sauce over the top too!

If you buy the store bought hollandaise its not raw egg. Mille or whatever the name is...

*hugs*
    Cailin

I watched better homes and gardens the other night and they did a ceaser salad with left over ham - I'm sure the receipe will be on their website. Just substitute the home made dressing for purchased dressing and hard boil the eggs instead of soft boiled.

Have you thought about macaroni and cheese with ham through it? It's cooked....

The carbonara one is a good idea - I like that one!

I also do an adhoc pasta dish which is whatever I can find! Basically I have two versions - one is pasta cooked tossed with cheese sauce, cooked bacon or ham, corn kernels, capsicum and whatever else I can find to throw in.
    The other is pasta cooked and tossed with tomatoes, bacon or ham, onion etc which I cook in a frypan or saucepann. I fry the onion then add the chopped tomatoes until they break down a little and then add the other ingredients. I cook the bacon or ham in a different frypan and add later. I like to add garlic with the onion but depends on your tastes.

If you can cut the ham thinly enough you could wrap it around sausages (sausages wrapped with cheese then ham) or you could butterfly chicken fillets and stuff with ham and cheese and garlic butter.

Herb, ham and cheese muffins.... I think I have a receipe somewhere if you want it....

I've been known to dice it up and freeze to use later (usually for frying etc). Makes a great pizza topping!

I'm missing cold ham....... I have massive craving for cold ham off the bone on toast....

ETA: Oh yeah - DH loves ham steaks with scrambled eggs for breakfast or lunch...
    Last edited by Mother Goose; December 27th, 2006 at 07:25 PM.

MY CORN PUDDING (well nigellas LOL)

It goes fantastic with leftover ham

Caro I think its mille (they make mustards)

*hugs*
    Cailin

Its in a jar not a bottle Its very good to be honest and I am quite picky about hollandaise...

*hugs*
    Cailin

Thanks Ladies

I ended up sauteing some chopped onions with semi-dried tomatoes (from a jar) and tossing the ham through until cooked. Added some frozen peas / corn and heated them through. Mixed some cooked macaroni with a mixture of cream of mushroom soup in a tin / milk and then mooshed it all together. Wacked in a casserole dish and baked about 30mins, sprinkled some cheese on top and baked until cheese melted.

Scrummy!

It's Boxing Day after all....

Anyone???

Carbonara! Make with Ham instead of bacon. Quiches, Ham & Cheese Puff scrolls....

Anything! This year I did ham steaks, chucked it in pasta bake, in three salads (pumpkin, green and potato), made a fritata, and omelette. Mmm.