Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Margarine! *eeek*

We only use Nuttelex in our house. I have had to cut out dairy because of my skin and honestly, I would prefer the taste over anything else. Not the cheapest product either. I am like Christy using avo instead sometimes too.

I have vegan friends who use Nuttelex - personally I'm a butter girl myself. It's one of those things that IMO really has no substitute in terms of taste, and I'm not too fond of eating plastic. Don't use it on bread/sandwiches - I'll either use avo or cream cheese, or nothing. But I couldn't imagine a baked potato without lots of melted butter... mmm.

Mmm Nuttelex is great! and I also love the Olive Grove stuff! Not sure if thats bad but its yum! We generally have that or Devondale.

I prefer butter, I don't eat a lot of it anyway... but I try and get the salt reduced butter

margarine is a disgusting grey sludgey goopy colour, then they put yellow colouring in it to make it seem more like butter..... eeeeeek, i refuse to eat it... i just use low fat butter and have it sparingly. i won't let me kids eat margarine either. its a man made nothing, its not food, its manufactured goop!!

Living in Gippsland with some of the world's best dairy products how could you eat marg hey Emma?

Oh and I put "lashings" of butter onto everything...scones...pancakes...mashed potato...steamed vegies....mmmm I should be the side of a house! LOL poor arteries... oh well, I could have worse addictions! I don't eat red meat so i guess that helps! *wishful thinking!*

Quote Originally Posted by BellyBelly View Post
    You can't win with butter or margarine. You have to choose which you would prefer, to use something more likely to give you a stroke, or something more likely to result in blindess!!! Or you could try and avoid it altogether!
    Or try olive oil or homemade bread, which is so yummy, it doesn't need anything to 'moisten' it.

The main reason for using butter or another spread on sandwiches is actually to keep the bread soft and fresh for eating later. Technically if a sandwich is to be eaten immediately then butter is not necessary. For myself if I am making a peanut butter sandwich I don't use butter at all, or for a salad sandwich I use a good mayo instead.

(OT Oooh Astrid is that a new ticker? i didn't realise you were so far along! nice cool weather next week, more comfy for very preggy girls!)

Technically speaking I know when you use peanut butter you shouldn't need butter.... but oh i doooo! I don't just use butter to 'moisten' i actually love the flavour itself. Fresh pasta tossed in butter was my student staple (couldn't afford olive oil) I just love buttery dishes.

I only eat butter because I can only eat butter - I have an intolerance to canola which makes up most margarines.

I also only drink full-cream milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathsheba View Post
    (OT Oooh Astrid is that a new ticker? i didn't realise you were so far along! nice cool weather next week, more comfy for very preggy girls!)

Technically speaking I know when you use peanut butter you shouldn't need butter.... but oh i doooo! I don't just use butter to 'moisten' i actually love the flavour itself. Fresh pasta tossed in butter was my student staple (couldn't afford olive oil) I just love buttery dishes.
    Yep new ticker, 99.9% weaned so it was time to change, plus I was forgetting how many weeks I am.

Back on topic, I do love butter, but I do try and be careful with it and save for the things that really need it (eg corn cobs, crumpets etc). DD loves the stuff, if I have the block out she always wants a slice of it.

paradise lost Guest

Lol, Bath i just followed your link here from the other margarine thread, and was eating a slice of sunflower bread, toasted and LIBERALLY buttered when i opened it.

From a personal point of view, i switched to butter about 7 years ago now. I don't avoid it (i.e. if i would have used a spread on my bread or something to lubricate pasta or glaze veggies, i use butter - mmm, organic carrots boiled to "just" still crunchy and then tossed in butter and black pepper!!!). It is a pure food which CAN be enjoyed safely. A good chunk of my daily fat requirement and almost all of my saturated fat allowance comes from my butter intake. On a normal day i would say i eat 20-30g of butter, and if it's a baking day then possibly more. My blood pressure is great, my cholesterol is normal (both good and bad), my resting pulse is 45bpm, and i can run a mile in under 8minutes. Health is about so much more than just the fuel.

I do think that it's true of people eat 100g of butter/day and do no exercise, of course that will be detrimental, but i also don't believe you can "undo" the damage no exercise brings by eating weird fake fats. Two wrongs don't make a right. For the vast majority of people who eat normally and exercise regularly the "risks" of butter are minimal.

Bx

I've been craving butter on fresh bread lately.. and I mean quite a layer of butter!! Anyone would think I'm pregnant!

I wonder if it's to do with breastfeeding two kiddies?? i haven't stepped on the scales lately - so I hope it's not just all going to my thighs! LOL (or my heart for that matter!)

Does anyone know where the Olive Grove spreads fit into this debate? As a person with gentic high cholesterol (ie not from diet, body produces its own) my doc has said to use either Olive Grove or those pro-activ spreads. I can't use the pro-activ atm due to pregnancy so have switched to the olive one/ Is this as scary as mayo?

I hate the chemicals in butters and margarines. We use soft butter (but not "extra soft" as it has more chemicals) and nuttelex cause I get tired of the the taste of butter (I think I'm the only person who doesn't actually love the taste!) and nuttelex doesn't have all the additives either.

paradise lost Guest

Dee if you look on the back and see if "hydrogenated" or "partially hydrogenated" anythings or "emulsifier" are in the ingredients, that's usually a bad sign as those are the trans fats. If they DO contain them you could try just using extra virgin olive oil on your bread? It takes a day or two to get used to (get a REALLY good brand so it tastes as good as possible) but once you're used to it it's great. When i was in Italy i used to eat mountains of bread dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Mmmmm!

Bx

Quote Originally Posted by ren View Post
    I hate the chemicals in butters and margarines. We use soft butter (but not "extra soft" as it has more chemicals) and nuttelex cause I get tired of the the taste of butter (I think I'm the only person who doesn't actually love the taste!) and nuttelex doesn't have all the additives either.
    what chemicals in butter? I've got our butter here (Mainland brand - spreads from the fridge) and the ingredients are .... cream, water, salt

Ingredients - serving size 5g
    Energy - 154kJ
    Protein - less than 1g
    Fat, total - 4.1g
    Fat, saturated - 2.6g
    Carbohydrate - less than 1g
    sugars - less than 1g
    Sodium - 10mg
    Potassium 1mg

I've only just finished using butter I accidentally made myself - got a little bit too overzealous beating cream on the weekend.

On the nuttelex I have vegan friends who refuse to use it because its still hydrogenised, and thats not good (Unless they have changed this recently).

We're butter here all the way! In winter we use real butter and store it in the cupboard, in summer we use western star spreadable. If only I had a butter keeper in my fridge then I could have real butter all year round!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast