Thread: Meat-What is good for what??

Amelia Guest

Question Meat-What is good for what??

Hey there ladies,

I have a really stupid question......
    With beef you can get so many different cuts, and I just always buy Rump and use it for everything and cause it is always cheaper. But is it good for everything? Stewing, stir-fries, marinating, bbq'ing, everything!!

Like you can get rump, blade, chuck, sirloin, rib fillet. What do you ladies think is best for certain things...Like your stir frying, marinating, bbq'ing.

~Amelia

Hehe I always just get the cheapest and use it for everything!

I am the same as Danni or I'll have a look at what looks good that week.

Blade steak is good for marinating and cooking on the BBQ, it can be tougher so long marinating times are good. BBQ blade steak has the bone down the centre is also good for that as its name suggests.

Topside is great for pounding out and crumbing, lightly fry in frypan for a quick schnitzel. Also thin topside is often used to steak sandwishes.

Chuck or Gravy Beef - often some of the cheapest cuts and really need to be cooked in a slow casserole, say in the slow cooker or oven. Needs to break down but gives melt in the mouth texture - very tender.

Round - as the name suggests it is shaped kind of round and is also good for casseroling, round steak is tenderer than other cuts of meat and also is leaner than other cuts. Can use round steak to make Beef Strogonoff (sp?) and things like that cos it doesn't need as long to cook

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Ursula; March 22nd, 2007 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Amelia Guest

Thanks Ursula.....I have noticed that Round always looks redder then normal rump and juicier.

Just don't cook round under the grill or on the BBQ cos it can go tough