Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mince? Lamb and beef

Question Mince? Lamb and beef

Ladies........I haven't done a big meat shop since Lexie was born, so I have a freezer full of mince and not much else.........

I am trying to rack my brains for something to do with mince apart from spag bol, cottage pie or Tacos..........

(And I am trying to avoid going to the shops, so anything that just uses pantry basics?)

Any ideas?

Ummmm metaloaf or pizza?

i do a mince and vegie stiry fry? chuck in all vegies, and add gravy, or sometimes i add taco flavouring and serve with rice (too easy)

meatballs? Meatloaf?

Pizza? Christine......how do you mean?

yum just put it on pizza with veges. I do middle eastern spices and pop it on with tomato, capsicum, olives and goats cheese.

The other options besides is using the mince as you would for tacos and instead of putting on tacos we make a taco salad, so we put a tortilla down and layer with mince & beans and then heaps of lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, guacamole... yum! Taco salad!

Ummm... what else... we use our bulk mince for pasta, lasagna, tacos, burritos, taco salad, pizzas, cottage pies, and I think that is about it...

use the mince on pizza instead of ham--layer it on. Or you could have both and be meat lovers

I've posted a traditional Afghani recipie that uses lamb mince here. Its also kind of time consuming but when DH's aunt makes it its one of the yummiest dishess I've ever eaten.

ETA - there is a chow mein recipie in the same thread here that looks kind of yummy.

Or these are nice...
    Laham Bil Ajeen (Small Arabic Pizza)

30 PIECES
    Preparation Time:
    1 HOURS

Cooking Time:
    10-15 MINS

INGREDIENTS:
    Filling
    500g (1lb 2oz) minced lamb
    2 medium onions, finely chopped
    100ml (3 fl oz) natural yoghurt
    2 teaspoons *tahini
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    1 tablespoon salt
    pinch of black pepper
    tablespoon garam masala
    3 large tomatoes, finely chopped and seeded
    1 tablespoon oil

Dough
    500g (1lb 2oz) plain flour
    100ml (3 fl oz) natural yoghurt
    150ml ( pint) olive oil
    2 teaspoons dry yeast
    1 teaspoon salt

Making The Dough

1 First soak the yeast in 250ml (9fl oz) warm water then set aside.
    2 Place the salt and flour in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre of the flour. Next add the yoghurt and olive oil to the yeast and stir then gradually pour the mixture to the flour and mix together to form a dough.
    3 Knead the dough for 15 minutes, until it is nice and soft and not sticking to the surface of the bowl.
    4 Brush a little olive oil on the surface of the dough and place in a large bowl, cover with a cloth and leave in a warm place until dough becomes double the size or for 1-1 hours.

Making The Filling

5 Heat1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan and fry the chopped onions on medium heat for 3-5 minutes until slightly browned. Set aside and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
    6 In a separate bowl place the yoghurt, tahini, vinegar and chopped tomatoes and mix well, then pour over the fried onions. Add salt, pepper and garam masala to the mixture, then add the mince and mix well.
    7 Take out dough and knead again for 1 minute. Now form and cut dough into disks of 7 cm (3 inches) in diameter and 1 cm ( inch) thick. Cover the dough so it does not dry out.
    8 Place dough disks on a greased baking tray measuring approx. 40 x 28 cm (16 x 11 inches). Spread 1-2 teaspoons of filling onto the dough disks. Decorate with about 3 pine nuts and press filling firmly onto the dough disks.

Leave the dough disks in the tray for 5 minutes, while this is happening heat oven to 180C (350F) Gas mark 4, then bake for 10-15 minutes or until dough is slightly brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. With wedges of lemon.

Thses are so yummy but time consuming so I usually take the lazy option and buy them from the Arabic pizza shop across the road.

Burger patties or meatballs.
    Maybe swedish meatballs? A bit like a stroganoff I guess. Mum used to make them. YUM!
    And what the others have said.

LOL Fi Meatballs!! I completely forgot about them!!! Maybe because I make turkey thai ones...

*TamaraP* Guest

Chow Mein...
    I don't know the recipe but I know its quick and simple.

Hambugers... fry the mince with some spices and cook it with rice and some vegies.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

How about Porcupine Balls, Lucy?

mooshie Guest

i do a great chow mein, basically i just brown mince and onion, and chop up everything i have as far as vegies go, like grated carrot, zucchini, peas, corn the lot and add about 1/4 of a shredded cabbage, then i add water, some cooked rice, a little bit of curry powder, soya sauce, tomato sauce and just the two minute noodles (without the seasoning) and i just let it cook away really slowly (for around 2hrs) got to keep adding water and make sure it doesn't stick - it makes the hugest of hugest amounts and the best thing is the fussiest eater in the world (little miss 2yr old) will actually devour it.

it tastes okay (i add chilli sauce to mine) but it is a great way to use up all the vegies and an absolute fantastic way to get my daughter to eat a meal lol.

THANK YOU SO MUCH LADIES!!

Christy....I have made a mental note re the Taco salad.......it used to be a fave of mine from when I worked in restaurants and I had forgotten all about it, so next time we have "tacos" we will be having that instead of "stand and stuffs"!!

Dach......legend with all those minced lamb recipes....I have printed them out!

In the end I have made burgers......I had a load of salad stuff, so we are having home made burgers, home made burgers buns and home made chips........DH is outside BBQ'ing & being eaten alive by the mozzies as I type.......

YOU LOT ARE LEGENDS! xx

WOW there are some amazing meal ideas there! Who knew mince could be so exciting! I think I might have to try some now!!

Try mixing some pork mince into the equation too - its cheaper than beef mince, and its yummy in fried wontons, or even half and half in tomato-ey pasta dishes.

Yay - my suggestion won - she made burgers!! Hehehe

Glad you found a solution Lucy! The only thing other than what the gals suggested that I though of was lasagne or canneloni....tho a bit of work!

Or something different; thai beef salad . I can give the recipe if anyone is interested

LOl, I nearly posted "And the winner is..........."!

Pork mince is lovely.........lean and cheap and it makes the best rissoles....apple and pork and herb rissoles.............like my Granny used to make!

And turkey mince is good too........I notice Coles are stocking a lot more turkey these days.........

I need to get out and do a decent meat shop tomorrow..........think of me ladies, with at least 2 kids hanging off me or off the trolley.........

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

I think we should keep bumping this thread up ladies - I don't know about you, but I will always have some mince in the freezer if nothing else and these ideas sound ace!!!!

LOL - Lucy I have taken to shopping at night when the kids are in bed now!!! LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast