Thread: My spring roll recipe

Default My spring roll recipe

It can vary and I'm not sure on exact measurements but I'll share what I did last night for those that asked

1/4 cabbage finely shredded
    3 large carrots grated
    1 brown onion
    2 cloves garlic crushed
    125 gms pork mince (if you don't like pork you can use beef, although I've also done chicken and prawn before and it was great! Just mince some prawn meat in a processor if you don't have a mincer)
    125 gms chicken mince
    Maggi Sauce
    White Pepper
    2 small packets of rice Vermicelli
    Dark Soy
    Light Soy
    Oyster Sauce (optional)
    3 tbs Shoaxing wine + 1 tsp white sugar (optional - can also use dry sherry)
    30 - 40 spring roll wrappers
    Peanut oil for frying

Fry up onion & garlic till soft and fragrant add cabbage & carrot cook until soft, once soft move to side and quickly fry off mince, once browned mix altogether and add pepper, a good splash of maggi sauce, a good splash of Dark soy, oyster and the wine & sugar (if using it) once it has absorbed and cooked off a bit add the noodles (which you need to soak in boiling kettle water for about 10-15 minutes), I chop them with scissors before adding so that they are not all one big piece. Then add a bit more of the light soy and allow to cool to room temperature before assembling in wrappers. I won't go into detail of wrapping, but you might need a bit of practice LOL last night Marc was failing dismally yet mine looked store bought... but I got plenty of practice wrapping over 200 at a time! But I would say 2 semi heaped tablespoons of mixture per roll and don't forget to moisture the edges to seal.

Honestly this is a recipe I've tweaked over time, original didn't call for wine or oyster sauce but I like the flavour it gives. You can also add bean sprouts if you like but I prefer my bean sprouts in fried rice and stir fries than in my spring rolls. You can also adjust the meat/veg portion, but IMO the noodles are a must

To cook heat some oil (vegetable or frying oil) in a wok or deep fryer and cook till golden brown, at first they will float then sink, then rise again when they rise again you know they are almost ready. We let ours rest on a cookie cooling rack over a baking tray to collect excess oil then move to a plate with paper towel for extra oil absorption.

Serve with some good sweet & sour dipping sauce or my personal fave sweet chili sauce

Sounds so yum Cailin... I have pork minc out for my family for dinner... I might just make these for them.
    Just one question... what is the Maggi Sauce?

Its a seasoning sauce Maggi seasoning its called I think. You could do without if you wanted to it really wouldn't change it that much.

Thanks Cailin

sounds good cai!

i just had spring rolls for lunch!! from aldi not homemade!!

Yuuum!! I so have to make them this week.

Thanks Cai

Will be trying these probably next weekend when I have some time