Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pies and Sausage Rolls

Default Pies and Sausage Rolls

Ok lets swap

Here's my Pumpkin Pie Recipe I was telling you about.

Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie

1 unbaked 9" (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell (I just use a frozen sara lea shortcrust piecrust)
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. ground ginger
    1/4 tsp. ground cloves
    2 large eggs
    1-3/4 cups Cooked Pumpkin Flesh (see note)
    1 1/2 cups Evaporated Milk

Preheat oven to 425F, 220C.

Combine sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs lightly in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie shell.

Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 F, 180C.; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. (Do not freeze as this will cause the crust to separate from the filling.)

For 2 shallow pies, substitute two 9" (2-cup volume) pie shells. Bake in preheated 425 F, 220C. oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 F, 180C.; bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until pies test done.

***Note***

To get the Pumpkin Flesh, I usually use a butternut pumpkin. You will need to do this ahead of time so that the flesh cools.

Ok preheat oven to 180C slice it in half lengthways. Put the Squash on a a oven tray (I usually use a biscuit tray) lined with glad bake, flesh side down. Cook for 45 mins, until the flesh is soft and the liquids bubble a little. Now you can season the flesh by using some of the same spices used in the filling, but I find there is plenty once its all combined.

Its almost as good as if you made it from a tin

Now whats your recipe Christy?

*hugs*
    Cailin

Edited to add: I forgot to mention don't scoop the seeds out of the pumpkin till after its cooked (I don't know why I think it ads flavour)

okay here goes...

Regular Pumpkin Pie

1 Sara Lee shortbread piecrust (me too!)
    2 cups cooked mashed pumpkin
    14 oz sweetened condensed milk
    2 eggs
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp all spice
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/2 tsp salt

I cheat and cook the butternut pumpkin in the microwave.... :-$
    and it does have to cool before mixing as otherwise it cooks the eggs a bit and is a bit yuck...

Preheat oven to 220 C
    Cook pie crust for 10 minutes with baking paper and beans or rice inside.
    Mix all ingredients together well.
    Bake at 220 for 15 minutes
    Reduce oven temp to 180 and bake 35 minutes longer or until the knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean
    Top with whipped cream!

Almost the same!! Mines a bit of a cheat way, but better then opening a can!! LOL!

new one.... pumpkin pie crunch....mmmm our house favourite!

For the crunch:
    1 packet yellow/butter cake mix (Its American what can I say? LOL)
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1 cup butter or margarine

For the filling:
    2 cups cooked mashed pumpkin
    12 oz evaporated milk (I use lite...lol)
    3 eggs
    1 1/2 cups caster sugar
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp all spice
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/2 tsp salt ( I don't use any.... or maybe just a sprinkle..)

Pre heat oven to 180, I use a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan...basically a lasagne dish will do! Thats what I really use...

Combine filling mix together well... pour into pan. Sprinkle Cake mix evenly on top, top with pecans and then drizzle with butter until covered. Bake at 180 for around 50 minutes, taking care not to burn top but that the inside filling is cooked...

This is almost like a pudding, but I'm drooling like Homer right now...

Christy

how about pumpkin scones? anyone got a recipie for that?
    i love those but dunno how to make them

take care
    Lesley

Sorry Lesley for not replying!! I'm not sure... have a look at those easy peasy scones, I would say that you would probably substitue some of the flour for cooked mashed pumpkin, but I don't seem to have a recipe for pumpkin scones around here.... sorry!

Christy

BTW made house pumpkin pie this weekend... mmmmm.... needed a turkey dinner to go with!

Default Looking for a non bland home made sausage roll recipe!

I have had a look but6 wrapping a snaga in pastry just wont cut it, it needs to be full of flavour & not bland coz most recipes only say sausage mince, bread crumbs, salt & pepper...
    TOO BORING for me!!!

Any help, I need it to make for my friends daughters 1st b'day in 2 wks time!!!!

Thanks!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Try adding garlic, parmesan cheese, grated onion and carrot.

Omg... I am spewing... I just typed my recipe out for you tracey, then hit the wrong key and lost it all. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
    I will type it again as soon as I have calmed down!!! ](*,)

Ingredients:
    Puff pastry
    500g mince (I always use beef mince)
    1 carrot
    1 onion
    1/2 cup peas
    1/3 cup water
    3 teaspoons cornflour
    1 egg
    1 tbs soy sauce
    1 tbs tomato sauce
    1/4 tsp basil
    1/4 tsp parsley
    1 tbs oil
    salt & pepper

Method:
    1. Brown the mince in a little oil.
    2. Dice onion and grate carrot. Drain excess oil from mince.
    3. Add the carrot, onion, peas, soy sauce, tomato sauce, herbs, salt, pepper and water and simmer over low heat.
    4. In a cup add 3 tsp cornflour and enough water to mix into a pourable paste.
    5. Remove saucepan from heat. Gradually add cornflour while stirring thoroughly.
    6. Simmer until mixture is thick.
    7. Beat egg.
    8. Take a sheet of puff pastry and slice it in half lengthwise. On each half of the pastry, add spoonfuls of mince along the length of the pastry.
    9. Roll up the pastry and seal the edge with a little beaten egg.
    10. With a sharp knife cut the length of the pastry and mince into small 5cm segments. Place on a greased tray.
    11. Glaze top of sausage roll with egg.
    12. Sprinkle with herbs. Bake in a 200C oven for 15-20 mins.

With this recipe I usually add a little more tomato sauce and soy sauce for extra flavour. And I also sometimes add corn as well to make them a bit healthier.

Melinda Guest

I simply use sausage meat, and add a diced onion and either some tomato sauce OR BBQ sauce and mix it all up. These are never bland! They're always a hit!! Sausage mince/meat with just breadcrumbs, salt and pepper would be pretty ordinary!!!

You can use different kinds of sausages though to make it taste a little bit different...... if you go to a butcher or deli and take a look at their snags, you'll find some that you can use (just squeeze out the meat from the sausage casing and then add the onion and sauce). I've used BBQ Sausages before or Beef & Tomato Sausages and they've turned out REALLY well.

:-k :-k :-k Hmmm, hadn't thought of asking my local butcher if I could look at his snag & then squeeze out it's meat! 8-[

Those Gourmet ones, maybe I could give them a whirl...

Thanks to EVERYONE for their suggestions......

Toot's, Should our posts be here or in AO 8-[

Melinda Guest

OMG Tracey!!! Your mind is really dwelling in the gutter with that call! LOL

I'll never look at my butcher the same way again PMSL!!!

I just use the gourmet sausages and a bit of chutney. Always delicious!

Tracey, Don't know if this will interest you or not, but though i would post.

Got this recipe from Sanitarium, they call them Country Cottage Rolls.

3 eggs
    ½ cup pecans
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
    ½ cup dry breadcrumbs
    1 cup minute oats
    3 sheets reduced fat puff pastry
    1 tablespoon soy milk or dairy milk for glazing
    2 tablespoons sesame seeds

1. Process eggs, pecans, onion, soy sauce and cottage cheese until fine. Transfer to a bowl and mix in bread crumbs and oats.

2. Cut pastry sheet in half and spoon mixture down one edge. Brush other edge with milk. Roll to enclose filling with pastry and repeat with remaining pastry sheets.

3. Cut each log into 6 even lengths. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

4. Bake in a hot oven, 200°C, for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and golden.
    Makes 36 party sized rolls.

Nic

I use about half and half sausage meat & beef mince, add an egg, grated carrot & onion, tomato sauce, salt & pepper. Verrry tasty. Mmmm, wonder if this CSIRO diet I am on has room for some home made sausage rolls?? 8-[

Lee-Ann Guest

Default Home made sausage rolls recipe needed

Hi Ladies

I was wondering if anyone had a yummy sausage roll recipe. I use to have the most delicious one but lost it during a house move and can't remember it at all off the top of my head.

Thanks!

Melinda Guest

Hi Lee-Ann,

Check this thread out Chicken & Vegetable Rolls. They are a great alternative to your normal sausage roll - they are great!

My normal sausage roll recipe goes a bit like this - it's all very approximate and just made to taste really:

Sausage Meat
    Diced Onion
    Tomato or BBQ Sauce to taste
    Ready-rolled puff pastry

Basically you just combine all those ingredients and spoon onto the puff pastry and roll it up and cut into sausage rolls! As an alternative to the normal tubes of sausage meat that you can buy in the supermarket, sometimes I will go to a deli and buy some nice sausage rolls, like beef and tomato for a bit of a different flavour. Very tasty! You can also throw in grated carrot to these if you like.

Mine is almost the same as Melinda's except I use mince in mine as well.
    1kg Sausage meat
    500g beef mince
    grated carrot
    onion
    tomato sauce
    salt & pepper

Mmm, haven't made them for ages. Might have to this week!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast