Thread: Recipe for sausage rolls

Default Recipe for sausage rolls

Hi
    was wondering if anyone could provide me with a recipe for sausage rolls (preferably ones that hide a few vegies) that can be frozen? And if they can be frozen, do you cook them before freezing and then just reheat, or do you freeze them uncooked?

Thanks!

Do you want beef or chicken ones Kel??

we have two different ways of doing sausage rolls - for the ones DH takes to work, they need to be cooked before freezing so he can reheat in little portable oven in the truck - for ones to be used at home, they can be frozen easily enough without cooking - they just take a bit longer to cook and HAVE to be heated in the oven - no micro cheating!

generally we mix sausage mince, finely chopped onion, and Season All - Spicy together, then make the sausage rolls on puff pastry - make sure to use milk to join the pastry (make it sticky) and poke little holes in the top

when we're making them with more veg, you can put carrot, capsicum etc in them - but you have to make sure to grate them up REALLY small - you don't want a sausage roll that is just a chunk of veg!

there are lots of other permutations (my cousin makes them with pork, veg, chilli etc) - but they are the options DH and I use

I have got a recipe for one that is a chicken mince one....it have creamed corn in it too!! If you want the recipe just let me know!! Its in my toddler cook book.

MonkeyMan'sMummy - the recipe sounds great!

Thanks Briggsy's Girl

The ones I make have lean mince, grated carrot, grated zucchini, chopped onion, 2 tablespoons of tomato chutney and 2 slices of wholemeal bread (soak in water for 5 mins then add to the mixture). Cook in the oven for 20-25 mins on 220 (or 200 for fan forced).

I think I got the recipe out of SuperFood ideas mag. Have a look at the Taste website - I just put in sausage rolls and there is a recipe for chicken and vegetable sausage rolls. Or just get the basic recipe and add which ever grated vegies you have on hand. Yum

This is seriously the easiest sausage roll recipe ever!

You get some good tasty sausages and a packet of puff pastry.

Place the sausages on the pastry along one edge, split sausages down the middle and then roll the pastry over, until it overlaps on the bottom, then cut off pastry and start again. Now that you have long strips of sausage roll, poke with a fork (decoration - not necessary) put an egg wash on top and cut to size. Cook in warm oven until pastry is golden and sausage looks cooked - around 20 mins.

Voila!