Thread: Salads

Fraser Guest

Default Salads

Hey everyone.

I was just reading Kelly's low carb chicken recipe because at the moment DH and I are trying to cut down on the carbs.

We've been having a lot of salad - and I was wondering does anyone have any different salads they love?

we've done the basics - plain salad, asian salad, italian tomato salad, caeser salad (ok not so healthy but yum!)

Anyone got any bright salad ideas that don't involve carbs? would love old family recipes with a history - I don't know why but eating food that has come with a story makes me feel really happy!

on another note - is it bad to cut back on carbs when you're breastfeeding? I just feel like I'm putting weight back on and I thought carb cutting might help - but I don't want to run myself down :biggrin:

Cheers!

Not sure on carb content here. Takes a while.

Spinach and sweetpotato salad.

spinach leaves, torn or whole- (I use baby enslish spinach)
    cubed orange sweet potato, steamed or roasted
    cubed tofu (optional). Sometimes I deep fry it but not always. You could also crumble it.
    seeds - sesame,sunflower etc, mixed seeds.
    borlotti beans or other beans - softer beans are better - I inf chick peas too hard for this salad.
    97% fat free semi dried tomatos, chopped into pieces

**also optional and I do when I can afford it are marinated mushrooms and or artichoke hearts

Quantities - I just make it up as I go, and usually make it in layers and repeat -- kinda like a lasagne.

I normally dress it with either macadamia oil or balsamic vinegar.

I dont have any other ideas for salads but maybe try and experiment with dressings to change it a bit... I have a pasta salad that is sooooo yummy i know full of carbs but yum for the odd occasion..

Any sorta of pasta (i use tie ones or small tube) as much as you need
    3 sticks of celery sliced
    1 capsicum diced
    bunch of spring onions sliced
    Sour cream large spoonful more if you like
    Whole egg mayo again large spoonful more if required to coat all the pasta...

I cook pasta and add everything when its still hot then pop it into the fridge yummy yummy yummy..

I've been making this salad heaps recently and adding a bit of sliced steak, chicken, lamb or whatever DH is wanting on top. I usually rub some chinese 5 spice and smoked paprika on the meat before cooking and place it on top of a salad of the following...I made it up one night with stuff that i had in the fridge.

In a big bowl (that you can eat straight out of - well you don't have to but DH doesn't eat salad so it's only for me anyway) I add...

Some mixed salad leaves - the ones with lots of rocket...
    Thin slices of red onion
    thin slices of red capsicum
    thin slices of celery (in lengths not accross)
    thin slices of snow peas
    a few sliced mushrooms
    and cut half an apple into matchsticks the same length as the other vegies

season with salt and pepper, add a dash of balsamic vinegar and a dash of extra virgin olive oil and toss together...add sliced meat on top...it tastes really good..

Sometimes i also add some nuts if i have them in the cupboard ie. walnuts etc..

Fee Guest

This is my fave:

Sweet Potato Salad

2 large sweet potatoes, cubed (about 1 cm x 1 cm)
    4-6 rashers of bacon, diced
    2-3 sticks of celery, diced
    1-1.5 cup of Hellman's whole egg mayonnaise

Bake the sweet potato until golden. Fry bacon. Place bacon, sweet potato and diced celery in fridge to cool. Once cool enough, stir through mayonnaise, just enough to coat.

This will serve about 4-6 people.

And here are some others:

Green bean, feta & beetroot salad

Cook 400g halved green beans in boiling water for 2 minutes, or until just tender.

Drain well and transfer to a bowl.

Drain a 400g can baby beetroots, cut into quarters and add to beans.

Add 1 halved and sliced medium red onion and 300g crumbled feta.

In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup or 80ml olive oil, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice and 2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard. Season with salt and pepper.

Pour over salad, mix, then serve.

~~~

Warm Salad of Potato, Spinach and Capsicum

Baby spinach leaves
    1 capsicum, grilled until skin blackens
    A handful of snowpeas, blanched in some boiling water
    Half a punnet of cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
    3 potatoes, parboiled and cubed (or cooked on High in microwave in a container of water for 15-20 mins)
    some pinenuts

Dressing:
    Juice from half a lemon
    1 tsp honey
    1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
    1/2 tsp olive oil
    Bit of salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Mix all dressing ingredients into a screwtop lid, and shake vigorously to mix. Taste it (if you like it sweeter or more sour, add more honey or lemon juice respectively).

2. Peel the blackened skin from the capsicum and cut into little strips.

3. In a frying pan, pan-fry the potatoes in a bit of oil until the edges go crispy and slightly golden.

4. Mix capsicum, spinach leaves, pinenuts, snowpeas, cherry tomatoes and potatoes in a bowl. Pour dressing over, mix and serve.

~~~

Roast Pumpkin & Pine Nut Salad

Roast Pumpkin (preferably Jap pumpkin) with olive oil, paprika & ground cumin.

Meanwhile, put 1/2 cup of pinenuts & a tab of butter in a cup in the microwave. Stir every so often to make sure nuts don't burn. They should be golden.

Lay baby spinach leaves in large bowl. Top with kalamata (pitted) olives, roast pumpkin, crumbled feta, and roasted pinenuts (with butter).

Top with red wine vinegar & olive oil.

kerry Guest

I don't know if any of these are low carb but here goes...

Olive's BBQ Salad (recipe from my friend's grandma who used to have it in her salad bar in the country pub they owned and the truckies and bar flies would clean it out)
    Watermelon, cubed
    Onion, white salad, thinly sliced
    Fresh basil Leaves, rouchly torn (and not too many)
    Toss all together and serve chilled.

Coleslaw with a difference (didn't like coleslaw so I done jazzed it up some)
    Coleslaw mix (yep too lazy to make my own)
    Tin of pineaple pieces in natural juice, drained
    1 cup unsalted cashew nuts (or a tin of drained chickpeas)
    capsicum, very thinly sliced into inch long pieces (or whatever you can be bothered doing, but for some reason strips are nicer than cubes, yep call me wierd)
    fat free coleslaw dress (aprox 1/4 cup)
    fat fre mayo (although i use the fat free soy mayo, tastes much nicer) (aprox 1/3 cup)
    1. mix mayo and coleslaw dressing together and set aside
    2. toss pineapple, coleslaw mix and capsicum together until mixed.
    3. add enough dressing so that it sort of sticks together but isn't drowning in it. OR to taste.
    4. about 10 mins before serving add cashews or chickpeas... if you add the cashews too soon they go soggy not crunchy... still yum but not as much.

QLD BBQ Salad (got this of a radio program where gabriel gatae (sp?) was talking about wierd recipies he had come across, I like to have iwt with a really hot curry or chilly meat dish. It actually tastes more nutty than anything else, not like carrot or pinapple, sort of like a sweet nut chuttney thing)
    1 cup of grated carrot.
    1 tin of well drained crushed pineapple
    1 packet of low joule/sugar free orange flavoured jelly (I have also used lemon)
    1 sachet of geletine
    In a large bowl mix the carrot and pineapple. Disolve the jelly as per packet and add the sachet of geletine (as pineaple is acidic and will prevent the jelly setting). pour into pinaple/carrot mix and , stir and allow to set.