Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soup recipes

Default Soup recipes

Share your soup recipes...

Starting with BellyBelly's famous Pumpkin Soups recipe - Come on Kel you have to share it with us all

*hugs*
    Cailin
    Last edited by {sarah}; June 18th, 2007 at 03:44 PM.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

LOL Cailin it is so simple it is not funny! I am not a master chef either so it wont be so techinical LMAO

All you need are butternut pumpkins, an onion, butter and cream!

First fry an onion in some butter, then boil it in with the cut pieces of pumpkins, which is *just* covered with water (you can add more later if you like depending if you like thick soup or not!). Once the pumpkins are soft, blend them with a stick blender thingo (in the saucepan) and finally add some cream (small tub of thickened cream) should only need about half, more or less to taste. If you want to add flavour, you can include a pinch of cinnamon!

YuMMO!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Default Yummy Winter Soup

Here is a really yummy, easy recipe for a nice winter soup.

Chicken Corn & Noodle Chowder

Ingredients:
    1 teaspoon canola oil
    1 medium brown onion chopped coarsely
    1 teaspoon crushed garlic
    440gm can corn kernals (drained)
    750gm can small potatoes (drained & quartered)
    1L chicken stock
    400gm chicken (chopped)
    150gm dry egg noodles
    2 tablespoons sour cream

Heat oil in large saucepan; cook onion & garlic, stirring, until onion is soft.
    Add corn, potato & stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover & simmer for 10mins.
    Blend or process potato mixture until smooth.
    Return potato mixture to same pan, add chicken & noodles.
    Simmer uncovered for about 10mins until chicken is cooked through & noodles are soft.
    Serve topped with sour cream.

YUMMO! It's also great the next day, but the noodles soak up a lot of the juice, so you just have to add some water before you reheat it in the microwave.

(Comes from Women's Weekly, From The Shelf mini cookbook)

Default Pumpkin Soup

I know there are a few recipes of good ol' pumpkin soup...

Here's mine!

4 cups chicken stock
    600gm butternut pumpkin chopped
    2 medium potatos
    1 onion
    1 sweet potato
    1 clove garlic crushed
    salt & pepper
    Sour cream to serve

Ok... I cook the pumpkin, potatos, sweet potato and onion in the microwave in batches in the chicken stock. Then I blend it and combine in a bit pot and simmer for 10 minutes for the flavours to combine. Salt & Pepper, sometimes a bit of chives chopped on top with a dollop of sour cream in the centre of the bowl.

Potato, Bacon and Corn Soup...

Ingredients

10g butter
    1 onion, chopped
    2 rashers bacon, chopped
    300g orange sweet potato, peeled and chopped
    300g potato, peeled and chopped
    1 tablespoon flour
    2 cups chicken stock
    1 cup milk
    310g can creamed corn
    1 cup grated cheese, for garnish
    fresh parsley, for garnish

Heat butter until melted, add onion and cook, stirring until softened. Add bacon and potatoes and cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Add flour and cook for a further minute. Add stock and simmer, covered for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Add milk, creamed corn and season to taste. Reheat without boiling. Serve soup with grated cheese and garnish with parsley.

HTH!
    Last edited by {sarah}; June 18th, 2007 at 04:07 PM.

Hope this helps, its one of those Coles meal ideas recipes, and its nice and chunky and prettty good.

500 ml vegetable stock
    2 tspn vegetable oil
    40 g pkt French Onion soup mix
    1 tspn Italian herbs
    2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 cm dice
    175 g bacon rashers, diced
    2 cups water

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute bacon and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until brown and crisp.
    2. Add stock, water, potatoes, soup mix and herbs. Bring to the boil, stirring. Reduce heat to low.
    3. Simmer, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Spoon soup into bowls. Serve immediately with crusty bread.

Hearty potato, bacon and onion soup

Soup can be prepared up to a day ahead; keep, covered, in refrigerator. This recipe is not suitable to freeze or microwave.

Ingredients

4 bacon rashers, chopped
    30g butter
    3 medium onions, sliced
    2 tablespoons plain flour
    1 litre (4 cups) water
    1 large vegetable stock cube, crumbled
    4 medium potatoes, chopped
    2 egg yolks
    300g carton sour cream
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Method

Cook bacon in large saucepan until lightly browned, add butter and onions, cook over low heat for about 5 minutes or until onions are soft.

Add flour, stir over medium heat for 1 minute.

Remove from heart, gradually add water, stock cube and potatoes, bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer, uncovered for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are cooked.

Gradually stir in combined egg yolks and sour cream, reheat without boiling.

Stir in parsley just before serving.

Serves 6.

kerry Guest

Default Sweet Chilly Chicken Soup

I know its the wrong time of the year for soup recipies but I was cleaning my emails and found this one I had typed out and sent to a friend. Its one of those recipies that makes heaps but it does freeze really well and can be vitamised (blended) to make a creamy texture.

Sweet Chilly Chicken Soup

I N G R E D I E N T S . . .

1 ltr Liquid Chicken Stock (99% Fat Free, salt reduced)
    3 - 5 ltr Water
    5 tsps Chicken Stock Powder (Massel salt reduced is 99% fat free, no MSG)
    3 lrg Chicken Breasts * skin and fat removed, cut into small spoon sized pieces
    1 lrg Brown onion * finely diced
    1 lrg Red Onion * cut into small wedges
    3 stks Celery * sliced
    2 tsps Garlic * crushed ** Qty adjusted to personal taste **
    1 inch Ginger Root * grated ** Qty adjusted to personal taste **
    2 tbsp Chives * finely cut
    1/4 - 1 cup Sweet Chili Sauce (Trident is nicest) **
    ** can be added at any stage so best to start with a little and add to suit your taste at the end **
    Optional / Suggested Herbs
    Basil * Coriander
    Cumin Lemon Grass
    Pepper Tarragon * * Used in sample. Qty and combination are left to personal taste. All herbs listed can be used together. You can use fresh or dried herbs
    Thyme * Turmeric
    Group A Veggies
    1 1/2 cups Fresh Green Beans * sliced
    3 med Carrots * sliced or finely diced
    150 g Fresh Baby Corn * cut into small spoon sized pieces
    Group B Veggies
    250 g Mushrooms * thinly sliced
    1 lrg Red Capsicum * sliced and then cut into spoon sized pieces
    Group C Veggies
    1 lrg Zucchini * Sliced (3/4") and then quartered
    4-6 Yellow Squash * Cut into 1/4, 1/6 or 1/8 size wedges (depending on size)
    1 sml Sweet Potato * Peeled and cubed

M E T H O D . . .

1 In a large soup pot, add 2 teaspoons stock powder, onions, garlic, ginger, any herbs and 1/4 cup water. Heat until onion is softened, add celery and continue to heat for a further 3-5mins. Add more water as required.

2 To Onion and herb mixture, add liquid stock, 3 liters of water, remainder of powdered stock, chicken pieces and sweet chili sauce. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, until chicken is very soft.

3 Allow to cool for 20 - 30 mins. Remove any fat from the surface of the soup.

4 Add the Group A vegetables, return to the boil and simmer for 15 mins

5 Add the Group B vegetables, return to the boil and simmer for 5 mins

6 Add the Group A vegetables, return to the boil and simmer for 10 mins or until the sweet potato is cooked through but still holds its shape.

7 Taste and add more Sweet Chili Sauce if required. Serve Hot.

Rachel I actually cheat quite a bit when I make chicken soup...

here goes

4 cups chicken broth
    1/4 roast chicken from corner shop
    1 carrot diced
    1 celery stick diced
    1/2 onion diced
    1 tsp garlic
    salt & pepper to taste
    100gm pasta noodles broken down to bite size pieces

I put the chicken broth on a slow boil and add the carrot and celery and onion and garlic in, I cover it. 10 minutes later I add the pasta and I tear off the chicken off the bones & pop it in. I check for when the pasta & veges are cooked and if they are I taste test and add salt & pepper if needed. HTH!

Steam Boat is an asian cook it yourself soup.

You get one of those camp kitchen type things (with the propane) on your table and a big bowl of soup over the flame. Then you get a whole heap of raw ingredients which you cook in the soup... we had pork, prawns, seafood, chicken some vegies and some vermacilli noodles. You cook the meats first and eat them, they give you this sauce (can't remember what its called, I think its made from fish & chilli) which you can dip it in. Then once you've devoured all the meat you can add the noodles & cabbage last (we do it this way coz marc doesn't like wilted cabbage, and the noodles go soggy otherwise) the whole point is the meats etc flavour the soup and then at the end you add your egg and cabbage and noodles and have the soup at the end. Its very yummy and often very cheap too! But if you go high end seafood it can get pricey

YUMMMMMMMM!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Hi Meg,

I have a recipe from an old Super Food Ideas magazine...

San Choy Bau

Serves 4

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1/2 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
    1 teaspoon garlic, fresh or jar
    3 spring onions, finely chopped
    500g Pork Mince
    230g can sliced water chestnuts, drained
    1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce
    2 tablespoons oyster sauce
    1/2 iceberg lettuce, torn into 8 cups
    1/2 cup beansprouts
    1 small carrot

1. Heat oil in a wok or frying pan. Cook ginger, garlic and spring onions over medium heat for 1 minute. Add mince and water chestnuts. Cook, stirring over medium heat for 6 to 7 minutes or until cooked.

2. Add sweet soy and oyster sauces and stir to combine. Cook for a further 2 minutes.

3. Serve mixture in lettuce cups, topped with bean sprouts and carrot.

I'm not keen on pork, so we used to make this same recipe with chicken mince. (I didn't add the water chestnuts either). One extra thing we used to do is sprinkle some crushed cashew nuts over the top as well. ( I saw this done in a chinese restaurant once and liked it).

I don't know how this would compare to the one on Fresh. I think they actually have a catalogue of all their recipes on their website if you wanted to check that out. The one above is quite nice though.

ETA: I just had a look at the Fresh website out of interest and the recipe wasn't on there. Must have been a Lyndey segment, was it?

The recipe they made on Fresh was Betel leaves with caramelised pork, ginger and coconut. I was watching too, it looks nice, might make it myself. Here's the recipe...

Betel leaves with caramelised pork, ginger and coconut

Serving size: Serves 6
    Cooking time: Less than 30 minutes

INGREDIENTS
    12 fresh betel leaves, or small English spinach leaves
    4cm piece ginger, peeled, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 small red chilli, chopped (deseeded if desired)
    10 white peppercorns
    3 coriander roots
    ΒΌ cup coconut cream
    300g lean pork mince
    ΒΌ cup shredded coconut, toasted
    1 tablespoon grated palm sugar
    2 teaspoons fish sauce, or to taste
    2 extra red chillies, deseeded, sliced thinly, to garnish
    1 green onion, sliced thinly, to garnish
    1 lime, cut into wedges, to serve

METHOD
    Arrange betel leaves on a large serving platter.
    Combine ginger, garlic, chilli, peppercorns and coriander roots in the mortar and pestle and grind to a smooth paste.
    Heat a wok over a high heat, add coconut cream and paste and cook for 5 minutes or until oil separates. Add pork and cook until pork is well browned and starting to dry out.
    Add coconut and sugar. Stir-fry until sugar melts, coconut smells fragrant and pork mixture becomes sticky.
    Add fish sauce and stir to combine; remove from heat and stand 5 minutes to cool slightly.
    Serve small spoonfuls of the pork mixture on betel leaves, top with chilli and green onions. Serve lime wedges on the side.

Bel

Hey guys,

Just thought I would share our recipe for chicken soup - *guaranteed* to make you feel better when you are sick!

I make around 10-11 lt (in a 14lt pot) and then freeze them, so we can have it once a week, so you can modify this recipe accordingly

1 whole boiler (cut into 4 so it fits into the pot)
    10 med carrots, whole & peeled
    3 med - large onions, whole & peeled (soup doesn't taste as good if cut up for some reason)
    2 small (or 1 large) zuchunni (optional) - whole & peeled
    1 lamb shank (this gives it incredible flavour!)
    some peeled garlic cloves (optional) - we put in like 5
    1 peeled large potato (optional)
    1 tbsp or so of salt
    1/2 tbsp of pepper (optional also... less if you don't like so much pepper in things)

Chuck it all in a pot, cover with water, bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer and let it be for 4 hrs... May have to stir occassionally, and may need to add more water if evaportating away

Then put in in your fridge overnight, (or put into freezer for a few hours), and a thick lot of fat will form at top.. remove this (you can save this to add to cooking instead of oil if you want.. gives it flavour but i never bother)..

I also get DH to take out all the chicken bones, and to like tear up the boiled chicken chunks... we serve in the soup so its more filling & flavoursome, but i know lots of ppl take it out and either serve boiled chicken to kids seperately, but i think its nicer in the soup

Also, take out the potato at this time! The zuchinni disintegrates, but gives a nice flavour so kids wont know its there if they dont like it

Anyway, this is one of our favourite things, so let me know if you like it... Its very easy to make, and is good to have stored in the freezer for when needed!

I only take out the bones, and potato

Everything else either disolves, or you serve in the soup

Some people take out the chicken also, but we like nice chunky rich soups...

Its up to you what you like the best

Its traditional to serve noddles in the soup (but i'm lazy and very raely get around to it).. We serve special soup croutons things, which are great, or the best thing that i LOVE but also never get to are things called Kneidlach, or matzah balls... They are made out of matzah meal, which is baked flour and water sheets which are then crushed like breadcrumbs.. You can find them in a kosher isle at a supermarket i'm sure. Anyway, i'll have to post the recipe for them, but you make them into these soft balls which you boil in the soup and they are soo nice! Some people serve like pasta pieces with meat inside also, called Kreplach, but i hate these so never make it!

enjoy
    Last edited by {sarah}; June 18th, 2007 at 04:11 PM.

Sal Guest

Default Moorish chicken soup

I don't eat chicken anymore, but I thought I'd share this extremely easy and yummy recipe. Note: the moorish relates to mid-eastern spices, not being more-ish, which it is anyway

• ½ cup saffron threads
    • Ό cup boiling water
    • 6 chicken drumsticks
    • Ό cup olive oil
    • 1 onion, chopped
    • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
    • 3 TBS grated ginger
    • 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
    • ½ cup puy or green lentils
    • 4 cups chicken stock
    • 1/3 cup long-grain rice
    • 1 lemon, juiced
    • salt and pepper

combine saffron and boiling water and leave to infuse for 5 minutes

in a large saucepan, brown chicken drumsticks in a little oil for 1-2 minutes on each side, then remove to one side. Add onion and garlic to the pan, and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes

add ginger, dissolved saffron, tomatoes, lentils, browned drumsticks and stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. Add rice and simmer for a further 15 minutes

stir in lemon and season to taste with salt and pepper

Chicken, Vegetable and Barley soup

INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup slivered almonds
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 cup chopped celery
    4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup chopped carrots
    5 cups diced red potatoes
    3 cups chopped cooked chicken
    2 1/2 quarts chicken broth
    1 cup quick-cooking barley
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    salt and black pepper to taste

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spread slivered almonds evenly over a baking sheet. Toast in preheated oven until golden brown and fragrant.
    Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Cook onions, celery, mushrooms, and garlic in oil until onions are tender.
    Stir in carrots, potatoes, chicken, and broth. Bring to a boil, then stir in barley. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
    Remove from heat, and stir in butter, parsley, and toasted almonds. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Not my recipe just one I found for you Sounds great though

Oh I have a great one!!
    I *think* off the top of my head its a large ham bone (the more ham left on the better), 1 onion sliced, and half a bag of split peas with about 8 cups of water? And a bit of salt. You know - I should really check my recipe!
    Basically I have always found the more simple the recipe, the better it tastes. Cook it for about 2 hrs I think, and then pull all the ham off the bone and mash it up in the soup.
    If you dont use a ham bone its nowhere near as nice!

Have you seen my SC versions? You could do them on the stovetop easy!

Here goes

1 bbq chicken (deboned/skinned)
    2 cans creamed corn
    2 boxes of 2 ltr chicken stock

Simmer, and you can add an egg and some spring onions/shallots for a more authentic chinese feel (and a splash of soy or maggi sauce).

Chicken & Veg

1 BBQ Chook
    2 boxes Stock
    1 carrot
    1 celery
    1 onion
    1 tsp garlic

Finely dice the carrot, celery & onion add to the pan with some oil and cook off till soft then add a teaspoon of garlic (I normally add it at the end so it doesn't burn) and cook for a minute or so then add the chicken and the stock and simmer for as long as you would like (so that the flavours absorb). You can add a splash of cream at the end of this one for cream of chicken soup otherwise its fine as it is or you can add some broken up 2 min noodles (minus the flavour) for chicken noodle soup.

HTH's!

*mwa*
    Cailin

I use my Mum's receipe which is simply;

2L chicken stock
    1L water
    3 grated carrots
    3 Medium size potato grated
    Celery finely sliced
    Noodles (I use 2 min noodles)
    1 packet chicken noodle soup
    1/4 Cabbage shredded
    Chicken wings (optional)
    Salt and Pepper to taste

I generally put all the liquid in the saucepan/stockpot and add the carrot, potato, cabbage, salt and pepper. If using chicken wings I add at this time too. Bring to boil stiring occasionally. Simmer for 20 minutes (or until chicken is cooked through) and add the celery, chicken noodle soup and simmer a further 5 min. Add the noodles and simmer until they're cooked.

The noodles really fill the soup out so feel free to omit them from the receipe - my DH just prefers a "full soup". I make this soup whenever I'm sick. It's been my fav since I was about 4!

MG

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast