Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Soup recipes

My Chicken soup:

6-8 drumsticks
    1 large onion (keep whole or chop into wedges)
    1 parsnip chopped into cubes
    1 swede chopped into cubes
    1-2 carrots chopped into cubes
    2 potatoes chopped into cubes
    1 stalk celery chopped
    1 cube massel vege stock
    1 cube of massel chicken stock
    water

I cook the drumsticks in a pot with the onion first (for approx. 30min or untill meat coming off bone). Then I take drumsticks out and poor liquid into a bowl through a fine sieve. Replace liquid into pot (don't replace onion).

Set chicken aside in a seperate bowl to cool. Then while soup is cooking, take meat off bone and tear the meat up. Set aside.

Add veges and stock and a bit more water if needed. Cook for 40min or untill veges are cooked. Replace shredded chicken meat into soup and heat untill hot.

I know that the first bit looks fiddly (ie.cooking drumsticks etc), but it's the stock for the soup and really does make the soup taste heaps better.

I also have some maggi (it's liquid seasoning in a bottle. Great for soups ) and put a few splashes of that into the soup after it's cooked or into our bowls.

Hi MG

Fry one roughly chopped onion in a little olive oil in a large heavy based saucepan - big enough to hold your whole soup.
    When transparent add a head of cauliflower cut into florets and enough chicken stock to just cover.
    Boil until tender.
    Drain cauliflower/onion mix and reserve the chicken stock.
    Bung cauliflower/onion in food processor and blitz til smooth - add a bit of chicken stock if it is too thick.
    Back in your original saucepan, out about a tablespoon of butter/or marg and the same amount of flour. Make a roux. When it looks like buttery breadcrumbs, slowly add the reserved chicken stock back to the roux, stirring (I actually use a whisk) to get rid of any lumps. Add back the cauliflower puree and add a tin of light evaporated milk, or plain milk, or half milk-half cream if you want to be really decadent. Check the seasoning. I sometimes add curry powder, or nutmeg, or paprika, or even some freshly grated parmesan at this stage to jazz it up. Parsley also goes well. You can also add walnuts (at the boiling cauli stage) and blue cheese (at the final stage if you aren't pregnant of course!).

I use this method to make cream of any thing soup. It hasn't failed yet.

if you want a quick and easy recipe:
    dice chicken really small and boil in a pot of water until cooked (only a few minutes)

get rid of the water, add the chicken to a pot of creamed corn. I used 2 cans of corn, and 2 cans of water. add salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes.

if you want to add egg whites you can- just stir them in. I like to add spring onions at the end too

P.S If you want you can just simmer the corn and chicken together...but i get worried that i cant tell the colour of the chicken to see if its cooked properly or not iykwim?

i make chicken and sweet corn soup.
    I just make up 1 packet of chicken noodle soup according to inst, like, i think it is 4 cups of water, then when it is sorta done, i add a big can of creamed corn, and then, whisk up a couple of eggs, but, so the yellow and white are just combined, and still gluggy, and add that to the soup at the last minute. I like the egg to be abit lumpy in the soup, so i dont stir it that much as i add the egg. If i stir it heaps, the egg goes more like long strings.
    If you do make it, always been told not to reheat any longer then 1 day old.
    Only use the homebrand packet of chicken noodle soup, and it works fine. Cheap easy meal.

Babushka Doll Guest

Default Chinese Chicken & Corn Soup - So Easy!

Hi BB's,

Just had to share this one with you, it is so easy and SO delicious! Great for freezing for lunches, snacks etc..

Ingredients:

6-8 Cups Chicken Stock ( I used Massel cubes)
    1 Large Chicken Breast (Raw)
    400g Tin of Creamed Corn
    400g Tin of Corn Kernells
    1 Tablespoon of Cornflour
    2 Tablespoons of Light Soy Sauce
    2 Eggs (Beaten)
    Shallots to garnish

method:

Bring 6-8 cups of chicken stock to the boil.

Add 1 Large Chicken Breast fillet, turn heat off and cover pan with lid for 15 mins. Remove Chicken breast and allow to cool, then shred.

Add Tin of Creamed Corn and Corn Kernells to stock and bring to boil over medium heat.

In a small bowl, combine Cornflour and Light Soy Sauce, stir to make a paste. Stir paste into soup to thicken.

Add shredded chicken to soup.

Slowly pour 2 eggs (beaten) in a steady tream into soup, stirring constantly.

Served topped with shallots.

HOpe you like it!

I've just made a really easy chicken & corn soup, modified from Cailin's recipe

BBQ Chicken chopped
    Tin of baby potatoes + tin of creamed corn (blended together)
    Tin of condensed cream of chicken soup
    Tin of corn kernels (including the liquid)

Mixed it all together & heated it up I'm going to add in some noodles later on just before we have it. It's made HEAPS, so will freeze some too.

(and also combining in some other threads to this one)

I just thought I'd add these ones on that I plan on using over winter I've not used them yet, but this is the best place to keep track of them LOL! The Harlequin Soup looks really cool in the pics! Also the Curried Carrot soup was on a Halloween special which is why it talks about making spider webs on it!

Harlequin Soup
    To serve the Harlequin Soup:
    Ladle some of each soup into its own pitcher. Pour both soups simultaneously into each of 6 bowls, creating a swirled almost yin-yang like appearance.

Garnish with chives and serve hot.

Very Green Broccoli Soup:
    1 1/2 pounds broccoli
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 cup (1/4-inch) diced onion
    1/2 cup (1/4-inch) diced celery
    Gray salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
    5 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
    2 cups packed spinach
    2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
    1 cup heavy cream or buttermilk (if using buttermilk, cut the lemon zest in half)

Cut the broccoli florets from the stems. Peel the tough outer skin from the stems and trim off the fibrous ends. Cut the stems lengthwise into slices about 1/2-inch thick and then crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces.

Heat the olive oil and butter in a soup pot over medium-high heat until hot. Add the garlic and cook until light brown. Add the onion and celery, lower the heat to medium, and season with salt and pepper. Cook the vegetables slowly until tender, about 10 minutes. Regulate the heat so the vegetables cook without taking on color.

Add the thyme and stir. Add the broccoli stems, stock, and salt and pepper, to taste, and bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for about 3 minutes. Add the florets and continue to cook until very tender, about 5 minutes more.

Puree the soup in a blender in small batches. Add some of the spinach and some of the lemon zest to each batch and then puree it. (The soup can be made to this point, covered, and refrigerated for up to 1 day or frozen for up to 1 month.)

Return the soup to the pan and reheat over gentle heat. Stir in the cream. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Keep warm.

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup:
    For the soup:
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 cup (1/4-inch) diced onion
    1/4 cup (1/4-inch) diced celery
    1/4 cup (1/4-inch) diced carrot
    1 cinnamon stick
    Sea salt, preferably gray salt and freshly ground black pepper
    About 4 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
    1/2 teaspoon ground toasted coriander, optional
    1 1/2 cups mashed Roasted Squash
    1/2 cup half-and-half, optional

To serve:
    1/4 cup mascarpone cheese, optional
    2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds, optional

Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add the onion, celery, carrot, and cinnamon stick and saute until soft but not brown, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Add the chicken stock and the coriander, if using, and bring to a boil. Simmer for several minutes. Stir in the squash until smooth, then simmer gently to let the flavors meld, about 10 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick.

Puree the soup in a blender until smooth. (The soup can be made ahead to this point, cooled, covered, and refrigerated for several days or frozen for about 1 month. It will thicken as it cools and may need thinning with stock or water when reheating.)

Return the soup to the pan and reheat gently. Add the half-and-half, if using. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Keep warm until service.

To serve:
    Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Garnish evenly, with the cheese and pumpkin seeds, if desired.
    Curried Carrot Soup
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 1/2 pounds packaged baby carrots, from produce section
    6 cups chicken stock, available on soup aisle
    1 tablespoon mild curry paste or 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    Coarse salt
    1 cup sour cream
    Plastic condiment bottle or medium plastic food storage bag
    6 blades fresh chives, cut into 1-inch pieces

Preheat medium pot over medium high heat. Add olive oil, butter, onions and carrots and saute 5 minutes. Add 4 cups chicken stock, curry and cayenne, and about 1 teaspoon salt to the pot. Bring to a boil, cover and cook until carrots are very tender, about 15 minutes. Place pot on a trivet next to food processor. Process soup in 2 or 3 small batches until soup is smooth and carrots are fully pureed. Transfer processed soup into a large bowl as you work to make room for more soup in the food processor. Return completed soup to the soup pot and place back over low heat. If the soup is too thick, add remaining stock, up to 2 cups, to achieve desired consistency. Adjust seasonings. Place sour cream in a plastic condiment squeeze bottle or into a medium food storage bag. Cut a very small hole in the corner of the bag with scissors. Ladle soup into bowls and squirt a swirl of sour cream around the bowl from the center out to the rim. Drag a toothpick from the center of the bowls out to the edges, forming a spider web design on soup. Pile a few pieces of cut chives at the center of each bowl to resemble green spiders in their webs! Cool!
    Last edited by {sarah}; June 18th, 2007 at 04:27 PM.

Creamy Chicken & Sweet Potato Soup
    (From the Taste website)

Ingredients (serves 4)

* 1.25L (5 cups) chicken stock
    * 2 (about 700g) orange sweet potatoes (kumara), peeled, cut into 2cm cubes
    * 1 large red onion, halved, chopped
    * 2 garlic cloves, quartered
    * 4 sprigs fresh thyme
    * 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
    * Freshly ground black pepper
    * 2 small (about 300g) single chicken breast fillets
    * 1 bunch fresh continental parsley
    * 250ml (1 cup) full-fat soy milk
    * 4 slices multigrain bread, to serve

Method

1. Bring the chicken stock to the boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the sweet potato, onion, garlic, thyme and oregano. Season with pepper and bring to the boil. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender. Remove from heat. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
    2. While soup is cooking, cut chicken into 1cm pieces. Coarsely chop parsley to make 1/4 cup, loosely packed. Set aside. Place one-quarter of soup in the jug of a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a clean saucepan. Repeat with remaining soup in three more batches.
    3. Bring soup to the boil over medium heat. Add chicken and parsley and cook for 3 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Remove from heat. Stir in soy milk and season with pepper. Serve with bread.

Low Kilojoule
    Low Fat
    Heart Friendly
    Low GI
    Last edited by {sarah}; July 9th, 2007 at 01:13 PM.

Ooooooo that sounds very low gi too! Thanks for posting Sarah!

*mwa*
    Cailin

I'm testing it out for dinner tonight, so will let you know how it goes.

ETA: Just realised I didn't add on where I got it from. So I'll add in the nutrional info that was there too

Mexican Tortilla Soup

1 can crushed or diced tomatos
    1 roast chicken with all the meat pulled off & apart
    4 cups chicken stock
    1 clove garlic crushed
    2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp chilli powder or to taste
    salt & pepper
    1/2 cup frozen corn
    1 tbsp fresh coriander
    2 tsp dried coriander
    1 ripe avocado
    2-3 corn tortillas.

Put the chicken, stock, garlic, cumin,chilli, dried coriander,tomato, corn (you can use 1/2 onion chopped as well) in to a pot or SC. Simmer... the longer you simmer the more flavours combine...

Cut tortillas into strips around 1 inch wide & shallow fry in some oil. Shallow fry until crispy. Drain on paper.

Cut avocado into chuncks.

To Serve:

Put soup in bowl, add 1/4 avocado and put a handfull of tortilla strips on top, garnish with coriander. You can also put a dollop of sour cream.
    Last edited by christy; August 20th, 2007 at 07:28 PM.

As I tend to always do, I've had to substitute some things!! Some of my sweet potato was yucky so I added in some pumpkin & carrots to make up the 700gm. I also didn't have any onion I also decided to throw in some red lentils with the veges, they'll get blended & no-one will ever know

Amelia Guest

Exclamation Pea & Ham Soup

Okay ladies,

DH has asked for Pea & Ham soup tomorrow night for dinner and I don't have a recipe for it anywhere!!

So I need one ASAP so I can go get the ingredients first thing tomorrow morning before the Foxtel Man comes.

TIA

From AWW cookbook for all seasons:

800g ham bone
    1 medium onion chopped
    2 cups yellow split peas
    2 celery sticks chopped
    2 medium carrots chopped
    2 bay leaves
    2.5 litres water

Combine all ingredients in large pan, simmer, covered 2 hours or until split peas are soft, stirring occasionally.

Carefully remove ham bone, remove meat from bone, chop finely, return to pan, stir over heat until hot.

Remove bay leaves before serving. Suitable to freeze.

HTH - I like this recipe 'cause you just bung everything in together.

One of my most favourite websites is the 'taste' website...it includes recipes from a whole lot of Australian foodie magazines, including Delicious...

I'm sure they would have a recipe for Pea and Ham soup (actually think I only used it a few weeks ago...it was delicious!)...but it looks like Malakili has given you a great recipe anyway...

So...for future reference...try "taste"...just google it to get the website address...

Amelia Guest

Yeah I have a SC!! I will go look for it now...Thanks!

Mine is from WW.

Hearty Pea soup with crispy bacon
    Olive oil 3tsp
    brown oniion finely chopped
    1 carrot finely chopped
    1 stick celery finely chopped
    1 cups dried split green peas
    vegtable or chicken stock 1ltr or (4cups), made using stock cubes
    3 slices Weight Watchers Bacon
    2tbs fresh mint leaves

1)Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a slow heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery. Cook for 10mins or until softened. Add the peas, stock and 2 cups (500mls) water.
    2)Reduce heat to a medium-low. Partially cover pan. Simmer for 45mins or until the vegetables are tender, stirring oftern. Season.
    3)Cut the bacon into thin strips. Spray a non-stick frying pan with oil. Add bacon and cook for 2minutes or until brown and crisp. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and top with the bacon and mint.

If you make the soup ahead of time, thin it down with a little water while reheating, as it becomes very thick on standing.

One of my new favorites and guarantied to clear the sinuses....

TEX - MEX POTATO SOUP

2 lg. potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1 med. onion, finely chopped
    1 med. green pepper, chopped
    1 med. red pepper, chopped
    3 tbsp. butter
    4 oz. cooked ham, cubed
    1 tbsp. chopped green chilies
    1/4 tsp. white pepper
    1/8 to 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 (13 3/4 oz.) can chicken broth
    1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
    1/4 c. heavy cream
    1/2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese

Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and reserve water. Saute onion and green and red pepper in butter in skillet for 10 minutes or until softened. Stir in ham, chilies, white pepper, and cayenne. Cook 1 minute longer. Reserve. Combine potatoes and chicken broth in electric blender and puree. Return to saucepan and add vegetable mixture. Heat soup just to boiling. Beat egg yolk with heavy cream in small bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup hot soup, then stir yolk mixture back into saucepan. Gently heat soup; do not boil. Garnish with Cheddar cheese. Makes 4 cups.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast