Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Soup recipes

A little bit of maple syrup, cocoa or nutmeg gives a really nice depth to pumpkin soup, especially if used with a pinch of cumin.

Melt 1 tbsp butter in large saucepan, fry 1 chopped onion until soft, Add 1 butternut pumpkin (peeled & chopped) & cook gently for approx 10min. Add 2 cups chicken stock & simmer until pumpkin is tender. Puree mix and stir in 1/4 cup cream.

Thats the receipe I stole from my aunty

Default just made soup..

in the slow cooker (christy's pumpkin soup)! ive blended it and intend on eating it tomorroq, not should i place it in the fridge or is it ok on the bench?

im more inclinded to stick int he fridge but after some opinions!

When I do it I put it in the fridge!!!

cool thanks darl!

Putting it in the fridge raises the temperature inside, making the machine work harder and warming up your other food. It's perfectly fine to leave it on the bench to reach room temp.

Default Soup anyone?

Hi, with the cooler weather here, I was wondering if it might be useful for us to share our favourite soup recipes. I made a nice one the other night using roasted bell peppers. It went something like this (I don't stick to recipes):

Roast and peel 4 large red bell peppers
    In a pot place 2 finely chopped brown onions, 2 finely chopped carrots, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 bay leaves, 3 small sticks of celery, about half a cup of pearl barley, a handful of fresh basil, hot paprika to your taste and water to cover. Boil till it smells good. Take out basil (I left mine on the stalks so it was easier to remove), bay leaves and celery sticks. Add peeled peppers and puree. Allow to simmer (add more water as needed) for quite a bit (I bathed the kids and organised their dinners while it was simmering). Add about half a small carton of lite sour cream and salt and pepper to taste. It was delish!!!!

Oooh, that sounds good!

One of my favourite made up vegie soups is:

Broccoli, Leek and Almond Soup

Slice 3 leeks and chop 2-3 cloves garlic and gently fry in butter until golden. Increase heat and add some white wine - approx 1/4-1/2 cup. Reduce wine. Add 2 small-medium heads of broccoli (cut into florets), a handful of thyme leaves and cracked black pepper. (Or I just wrap a few whole sprigs in string for easy removal, or if I'm feeling really inspired I make a bouquet garni with thyme, 1 bay leaf, peppercorns and a small strip of orange zest). Add approx 1/2 water, 1/2 chicken or vegie stock (depending on how strong your stock is) - enough to just cover broccoli, cover and simmer until broccoli is tender. Remove thyme sprigs or bouquet garni, and puree. Return to pot and heat, add about 3 tbls ground almonds, 1/4 cup of cream, season to taste and serve garnished with a sprig of thyme and shaved parmesan.

It has a beautiful delicate texture and flavour and is really quick and easy!! And then there's pumpkin soup, pea and ham soup, beef and barley soup, oh the list goes on...

Here is my winter specialty:

Naomi's Tomato, Basil and Lentil Soup

Finely chop and saute an onion in a big pot.
    Add a squeeze from a tube of basil
    Add one 375g pack of red lentils
    Add one litre carton of (salt reduced) vegetable stock
    Add one litre of water and extra veg-stock powder to taste
    Add two tins of diced tomatoes

Takes 3 mins to assemble - about 25 mins to cook (bring back to boil, then simmer), however it's better the day after. Serve garnished with diced tomato and fresh basil - and HEAPS of pepper.

Awesome...just jumped on to ask for a pumpkin soup recipe and here they are!

Thanks girls...

I made my lentil soup last night but accidentally put corriander in instead of basil - so I added some curry powder and hey presto! I have a whole new tasting soup to add DD loved it too.

Sal, I make a soup similar to yours but with worcestershire sauce (about a tbsp) and a can of kidney beans added in for good measure.
    If I dont have barley i throw in dome risoni or rice instead.

Oh yum, love a curry soup! Have you tried making mock chicken noodle soup with that veggie chicken breast? You can get it at Asian Grocers and the kids love it! And best of all, it's much cheaper (and healthier) than real chicken.

Oh thanks Sal - I had never thought of using the mock chicken. Will give it a go and let you know if it's a hit

ive just popped a pot of chicken and vegie soup on the stove and the aroma is driving me bonkers typical of me i just made the recipe up!

Smile Your favourite soup....

I thought since it's starting to get cooler that it would be good to share our favourite soup recipes.

As I'm wanting to try some different recipes this winter.

So what is yours??

hugs xoxo

Default Favourite soup recipe??

Ok so to curb my hunger alot have suggested soup....

Im hopeless at cooking so hit me with your best soup ideas, ingredients and instructions for a blonde

Any one got a yummy chicken and corn one????

TIA

mum3girls Guest

I do a really simple chicken and corn soup that my hubby loves -

Chicken Stock (depends on how many people you are serving as to how much you use - I use 3L and freeze a heap for lunches)
    1 chicken breast diced
    2 tins of creamed corn
    1 tin of corn kernels, drained
    S & P

Bring chicken stock to a simmer, chuck in the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for at least 20 mins, I usually let it go for at least 1/2 hour.

Very yummy with fresh dinner rolls

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast