Thread: Spring rolls

Default Spring rolls

My family love spring rolls... but I have never bothered to make them. I do make rolls, but its usually just left over stir fry into wanton wrappers.

Does anyone have any recipes for spring rolls they would like to share?
    TIA

My SIL is Vietmese and makes really nice ones (I've got some for lunch today lol), so I will see if I can get the recipe of her's and post it I also have one that DH does that I really love too, so I will make lunch for the boys then post ours and try and get onto my SIL to get her recipe.

hugs xoxo

Lisa, I got this out of one of my Chinese recipe books. I have been wanting to make them for a while, but the smell of hot oil and some fried foods makes me quite ill. Maybe I need to assemble them, and then get the Man to fry them up?? Don't know why I hadn't thought of it before. I would also need to substitute the onions for something else.. They make me ill too.

8oz pork, trimmed and finely shredded
    4oz shrimp, shelled and chopped
    4 green onions, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
    4oz Chinese leaves, shredded (cabbage)
    2 cups bean sprouts
    1 tablespoon light soy sauce
    dash sesame seed oil
    1 egg, beaten

Cook the pork in a little of the frying oil for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the remaining filling ingredients except for the egg. Cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes and allow to cool.
    Lay out the wrappers on a clean work surface with the point of each wrapper facing you. Brush the edges lightly with the beaten egg.
    Divide the filling among the wrappers (the recipe also includes how to make 12 wrappers if you want it, or just use store bought ones), placing it just above the front point. Fold the sides over like an envelope.
    Fold over the point until the filling is completely covered. Roll up as for a jelly roll. Press all the edges to seal well.
    Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer or in a deep pan to 375 degrees F. Depending on the size of the fryer, place 2 to 4 spring rolls and fry until golden brown on both sides. The rolls will float to the surface when one side has browned and should then be turned over. Drain thoroughly on paper towels and serve hot.

They sound yum, let me know if they turn out if you make them.

they sound great netix... i just got a new deep fryer, so may have to try them...

*TamaraP* Guest

My brother makes that BEST ones!
    I will get his recipe and post it.

I love spring rolls, but at the moment, can't really eat them hehe.

Thai Spring Rolls

Makes 20-30

500g lean pork, chopped into 2cm cubes
    100g cooked prawns, peeled and chopped
    1/2 sml onion, sliced
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    1 tbls chopped coriander root
    3 tbls vege oil
    1 tsp pepper
    1 tsp salt
    1 1/2 tbls sugar
    2 lrg carrots, grated
    1 tbls shallots, finely chopped
    1 1/2 tsp cornflour mixed with 2 tbls water
    400ml vege oil 20 spring roll wrappers

To prepare filling

1. In a saucepan, simmer pork with just enough water to cover pork, for about 20 mins, until pork is tender. This reduces the pork's fat and moisture content.

2. Drain and blend in a food processor, to a fine texture.

3. In a wok, stir-fry minced pork, prawns, onion, garlic and coriander root in oil until onion is golden and prawns are pink. Add pepper, salt and sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves.Taste to see if extra pepper or sugar is needed. Add carrot and stir breifly, remove from heat, place in a bowl, sprinkle with chopped shallots, then leave to cool, now for the packing.

4. Use a clean damp cloth or towel to keep the spring roll wrappers damp as the dry out very quickly. Lay one wrapper on the towel with a corner towards you. Wet all the corners and edges with cornflour and water paste. Place one tablespoon of filling in the nearest corner to you, roll corner flap away from you over mixture, fold in side corners and roll up, using the towel to keep the wrapper smoothly rolled and damp. seal the edges with more cornflour and water paste. Tepeat with remaining wrappers and filling.

5. Deep-fry spring rolls in vege oil, several at a time, turning them over to brown evenly. Don't overcook as they become soggy inside. Drain on paper towel.

These are really yummy ones that DH makes, we use the already cooked and peeled prawns from woolies.

hugs xoxo

We have a really yummy recipe... I learnt this from a malay/thai friend...

I'm really not sure of quantities I normally play it by ear (will have to do it again soon so I can be more exact)

Pork mince & Prawn mince (or chicken if you prefer)
    Cabbage
    Carrot
    Bean shoots
    Shallots
    Garlic
    Ginger
    Vermicilli Noodles (celephane ones)
    Soy Sauce
    Maggi Sauce
    Fish Sauce
    White Pepper
    White Sugar

Finely chop cabbage, grate carrots, chop spring onions. Fry off garlic and ginger, then add mince and then add vegies, cook off, and then add cooked (follow instructions I think its rest in cold water) noodles, and sauces (you can adjust the flavours to your liking) then put about a tablespoon and a half of the mix in each spring roll, roll up and cook in wok of hot oil.

(Amanda has some great tips that I use too so I won't type them all back out again LOL)

*hugs*
    Cailin

Wow... thanks so much everyone
    I can't wait to try out these recipes.. I might make a few extras to pop into the freezer for when Bub is born.