Thread: Substituting with Spelt flour?

Question Substituting with Spelt flour?

I'm wondering if anyone knows how much spelt flour you put into a recipe when it says to use white or wholemeal flour? and also what do you use when it says to use self raising flour as I only have regular (plain) spelt flour. I've cooked heaps of things with spelt flour but I usually use spelt flour recipes and I know that if you're using a regular recipes that isn't not just a matter of 1 cup for 1 cup kwim. TIA

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Excuse my ignorance but what is Spelt flour??

As you know, I'm not awesome with recipes I have cooked with spelt before, but I just make it up as I go along, liek everything else I cook.

Can you add the spelt flour, a 1/4 cup at a time, until it looks/feels right?

feeb spelt is another type of grain like wheat is a grain which regular flour is make from, you can make flour from the grain of spelt.

Audax it's such a delicate flour to work with and in a new recipe I don't know how it's meant to feel if that makes sense. I know there is a rule of thumb something like add so much more water for each cup or something so that you can make any old recipe and just substitute the flour. I did have it written down ages ago and I've tried to google it but with no luck

What sort of recipe, though? You know how cake batter always has a certain consistency? That's kind of what I mean, it's why I frequently don't use recipes; if the consistency is right and the batter tastes OK, I just roll with it and it usually works. (SO many people tell me I should write a cookbook; this is why I can't) I have done it with spelt in cakes and never had a problem.

Meredith McCarty's book Naturally Sweet has heaps of tips on how to work with ingredients along these guidelines. I don't currently own it, but I think maybe I should. I can't specifically recall, but I think there's probably some good stuff on stevia in there too.