Thread: Tomato Sauce in USA??

Question Tomato Sauce in USA??

Can anyone tell me what tomato sauce is in USA?

I found a recipe for Sloppy Joes, and it says to use tomato sauce, and ketchup.
    Could USA tomato sauce possibly be tomato paste here?

I'd say tomato puree (maybe the italian one I can't remember what its called...)

tomato sauce Substitutes: tomato puree (this is unseasoned, while tomato sauce has salt, pepper, and other seasonings added) OR 3 parts tomato paste + 4 parts water (tomato paste has only salt added, while tomato sauce includes salt, pepper, and other seasonings. Notes: tomato sauce (in Australia) = catsup (in the US)
    *hugs*
    Cailin

Thanks Cailin, that sounds like it is possibly what it is... I was dumbfounded... I could think for the life of me what it could be!! lol

So you could get some pasta sauce and puree it and I'd say thats pretty much it

*hugs*
    Cailin

For some reason this thread made me think of the Simpsons episode where Mr Burns gets confused about catsup and ketchup.... tehehe (sorry a bit off topic)

Lol Dach, I actually thought the same thing when I saw that Cailin had quoted that tomato sauce is catsup!

Hi!
    You can find Heinz tomato ketchup in the grocery stores! It will work well for the sloppy joes... I hope that helps - I moved here from the states nearly 7 years ago and it has taken awhile to find everything that I'm used to from the states.

Cailin is right (expat Yank in residence at this place).

I love Sloppy Joes .... mmmmmmmmm