Thread: Turducken

Default Turducken

I read something on here about a turducken (a boneless chicken, inside a bonless duck, inside a turkey) My first thought was Ew! but now i really want to make one for christmas - I'm having sooo many people over and i think it will be something different to add to the table, I have a recipe (more like a manual!) but i was just wondering if anyone has actually made one before and how difficult it would be?
    Is it hard to de-bone poultry? i think that would be the part i would have trouble with.

We have been wanting to have this for a few years, but one way or another it hasn't happened. I plan to do one shortly after christmas as we are having christmas with other people this year.

You can get your poulterer to bone the birds for you it shouldn't be too hard. Some poultry places actually sell Turducken's which makes it *very* easy

Oooh interesting! I have heard about it but not thought of doing it myself so good on you for wanting to have a go! How long would it take to cook?

For the boning thing. I don't think it would be too hard. My DH is a butcher and I've seen him bone out stuff but JIC you don't want to make a hash of it perhaps ask your butcher or chicken shop to do it for you. They *should* be more than willing to do it for you if you buy the birds from them. Maybe ask them before you place the order

I'd never heard of this until I saw this post, but it sounds really interesting, I might have to get one to try out

I hadn't even thought of buying them de-boned or ready to cook *lol* What a great idea... I can still claim i made it haha...

How long would it take to cook?
    The recipe i have says they take 9 hours to cook, I just had a brand new stainless steal oven installed yesterday which is big enough to fit a pig in!! I can't wait to use it.
    Last edited by LiddlePixie; December 13th, 2007 at 10:48 AM.

I guessed it would be a long time, but 9 hours? wowee! I hope its not going to be too hot on Christams Day. I sure can see why they'd love it in the Northern Hemisphere though.

Hugh cooked one on River Cottage last year - you can look on his website I think for more info.