Thread: What do you do with your left over BBQ chicken...

Default What do you do with your left over BBQ chicken...

..besides sandwiches?

I am sure I could make alot of dishes but my mind is blank atm so I thought I would ask in here.

TIA

BBQ chicken pizza, often just using a pita bread base with red capsicum, onion, pineapple & cheese...yum.

Also have an easy creamy pasta recipe where you break it all up, mix with curry powder, cream & cream of chicken soup mix. Then add broccoli, carrot & onion, top with cheese & bake in the oven.

Or a pasta dish. Toasted wraps. ahhh that's all I can think of now.

I wish we had some!
    Where do you get yours from?
    I bought a large BBQ chicken (precooked) at coles and there was barely enough meat to feed me DH and DS. Seriously and I only had 150g, DH less than that, and DH not much more. most of it was stuffing.

Wow that pizza sounds good!

I either do a pasta bake, with a tomato cheese sauce, or a risotto with spinach and pumpkin and pine nuts :P

Yummy! Thanks Ladies

rayray- DH bought an extra large BBQ chicken from woolies. We actually used it in a pasta bake last night, so we would not have used as much. But it still did have heaps of meat on it!

There is a recipe on the back of the Changs noodle packet that I use!

Oriental Fried Noodle Salad

Packet of dry coleslaw mix (in a bag from the salad section in the supermarket)
    6 spring onions, chopped
    100g nuts
    1 pkt Chang’s Fried Noodles 100g (Original or Onion Flavoured)

Dressing:

1/4 cup White Vinegar
    1/4 cup Castor Sugar
    1 tblsp Soy Sauce
    2 tsp sesame oil (Optional)
    1/2 cup Olive Oil

Mix all the ingredients of the Dressing in a bowl. Stir well until sugar is dissolved. Combine the dry coleslaw mix, chopped Green Onions and nuts in a salad bowl. Add dressing and mix well. Just before serving add the noodles and toss thoroughly.

Tips

To make a delicious meal add 300g shredded BBQ Chicken or BBQ Pork.
    Last edited by Lucy; January 30th, 2008 at 03:10 PM.

Noodle salad with chicken.
    Prepare and chill some rice noodles. Rip up about a cup of mint and coriander leaves and some chives chuck it on top of the noodles with some chicken.
    Make a sauce with about a tablespoon each of fish sauce, sugar and lime juice and chilli to taste.
    Pour it over the noodles etc. Toss it all about a bit and enjoy.
    I isually use hot breast but I think it would work fine for cold leftovers.

Thankyou Lucy and dachlostar They also sound very yummy.

Now which one of these recipes to make.... I guess I have to see what ingredients I have here.

Throw some in a bolognaise sauce.

Put it in zucchini slice.

Savory muffins.

Cook some pasta throw in some grated cheese and chicken, Stir untill cheese has melted.

Put on muffins/toast with other stuff (eg cheese, tomato, sauce, etc) and toast under the griller

Throw it in a stir fry
    Last edited by Daydream Believer; January 30th, 2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added more

Chicken & Corn soup
    Easy Chicken Minestrone
    Chicken avocado & sundried tomato spread for sandwhiches (you can also do chicken mayo celery etc)

Great suggestions for the meat. I also use the carcass and the pesky last bits of meat to make a decent chicken stock. I just chuck the whole thing (stuffing included) into a big pan of water. If I can be bothered I'll put in some onion and garlic too. Let it boil/simmer for however long you reckon (I never time, I just taste) then drain off the liquid into a saucepan. That's the bit you have to concentrate on. There's been so many times I've been THIS CLOSE to draining off carefully made stock right down the sink!!

Then with the stock I normally make soup. Just put the stock back onto the stove and put in some cubed pumpkin, sweet potato or whatever really. Wait until veggies are soft then blend. I've only got a hand blender at the moment so I just use that. Bit messy but it makes me think I am superstar who can make gourmet food with basic implements. Would be a lot easier if I just got off my butt and bought a proper blender!

I make a chicken pie with BBQ chook

Put in the fry pan the Chicken Meat
    Add a can of Continental Cream of Chicken Soup - may need a bit of milk or water to thin it.
    Broccoli Florets
    Peas and Corn
    Finely diced carrot
    1 cup of cooked spiral pasta.

Put into an ovenproof dish and top with pastry and put the oven on 180 for about 15minutes. Excellent quick meal.

You may need more than just left over chook - depends on how many you are cooking for.

cooked some bowtie pasta

roast some diced skinless pumpkin

in a frypan fry off some onion, diced bacon, (zucchini diced if you want) with some diced garlic, dont brown, then add a 600ml of cream, allow to reduce while simmering stir in the cooked pumpkin then add chicken allow to heat thru then either add pasta or spoon sauce over

we actually buy a chook for this very reason we also add frozen peas/corn depending on our mood

Oh yummy!!! Thanks heaps ladies. I will add all these recipes into my recipes folder and I'll have to make them all in the future. They all sound delicious

If u love mexican like me... I buy tortilla's and make quesedillas.

On one tortilla - spread home made quacomole, bbq chicken (cut up in tiny pieces-breast), handful of cheese. put another tortilla on top. Fry in a fry pan till toasted.

I then add lettuce, sour cream, beans whatever on top.

Its so yummy.

You can add anything else u like in the tortilla, chopt capsicum, tomatoes, I also love red onions.

We have chicken wraps with lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream and the kids love them. You can heat the chicken or have it cold. The kids love chicken lettuce and mayo wraps for school lunches too.

Also risotto with pumpkin and chopped up chicken is pretty good or even baked potatos then scoop the cooked potato out and make a mixture of chicken potato and whatever else you want in it.

Mmmmm I am hungry now

Cailin's slow cooker Chicken & Corn Soup is great

Otherwise I shred it & make curry or something similar.

or, cook a little onion, add curry paste, and then some coconut cream, bring to boil.
    Then add the shredded bbq chicken.

I use green curry paste, and the coconut flavoured evaporated milk.

tastes nice.