Thread: Whats your best/ favourite soup receipe?

Smile Whats your best/ favourite soup receipe?

We are fantastic cooks in here so lets get all ready for winter and post our best or favourite homemade soup receipes.

My belly is rumbling already....

Talking

[B]CHICKEN AND SWEET CORN SOUP[B]

220 gm chicken ( i use thighs) chop until finely minced
    cornflour
    soy sauce
    sesame oil
    400gm tin creamed corn
    3 cups chicken stock ( i buy carton of pre-made)
    water
    spring onion
    egg
    salt & pepper

* put chicken, 2 teaspoons corn flour and 2 teaspoons soy sauce in a bowl and combine.
    * put 1 tbspn sesame oil in pot and seal chicken, stirring constantly.
    * add corn and stock and simmer for 10 minutes
    * season to taste
    * combine 1 tspn corn flour and 2 tbspn water and add to soup stirring continually
    * remove soup from heat.
    * whisk 1 egg and gradually add to soup stir constantly
    * chop a little spring onion and add to soup
    *****ENJOY!!*****

we had our first decent rain yesterday and i made this soup for dinner. there wasnt a drop left!!!!!

mmmmmm yum soup,

I love pea and ham soup of course being a vego I make a vegie version for me and a ham one for everyone else.

I dont really have any measurements I just add stuff LOL,

In a big soup pot I fill it up about half way with water I then add about 4 decent size bacon hocks ( I use hocks because they have more meat on them than the bacon bones )
    and about 1 pkt of yellow split peas
    and let that come to the boil I turn it to simmer and leave it for a couple of hours,

I then add about 3 or 4 large onions sliced fairly thinkly and heaps of carrot again sliced really thincklyand let that cook for another couple of hours,

toward the end I scoop out the bacon hocks and pull the meat off and add it back to the soup, I also may add some vegetable stock for flavour if it needs it, I usually use Vegeta.

For the vegetarian version I do the same thing I judt dont add the bacon hocks and I add a little more stock as it really needs the flavour but I do that about half way through cooking the vegies so that I can get a true taste and add just a small amount at a time so as it does not become over powering.

keep checking the water as it is cooked for a while and does need topping up.

I love this soup its soooo yummy and gets even better the next day or so and is easy to freeze.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by *Elle*; April 16th, 2007 at 10:33 AM.

I am sooooo making some good old fashioned Jewish Penicillin this year AKA Chicken Soup with matzah balls I think Yael posted a really good recipe so I'm going to give that a go...

Here's the original soup recipe thread...

*hugs*
    Cailin

Potato, Leek & Bacon soup...
    6 potatos chopped
    4 leeks chopped
    4 1/2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken)
    1 clove garlic crushed
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    150gm/ml? light sour cream

*optional for meat eaters*
    150gm bacon - I use short cuts and fry them first and then slice them up & chuck them in for extra flavour

Pop it all in on low for around 6-8 hours. In the end take it out & put it through a blender to whatever consistency you choose. I like a very creamy soup so I go crazy with the blender. Then pop it all back in the SC on low. Right before serving, stir through the sour cream & top with chopped chives. I serve it with sliced turkish bread grilled with olive oil. Yum.

Sometimes I add the sour cream in after I served up the soup in bowls. I just popped a spoonful in the middle of the soup. I also added in a zucchini to have more vege's & it basically disappeared...didn't see it again
    Also check out the Slow Cooker Recipes for heaps of soup recipes

I made pumpkin soup the slow cooker yesterday it's so yum!

1/2 butternut pumpkin
    2 potatoes
    1 onion
    1 sweet potato
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    4 cups chicken stock

Cut all the veges into chunks, throw in SC with the stock. Cook on low all day and then puree. Can stir through 1/2 carton of cream at the end also.
    You can also do it on the stovetop, recipe and quantites are the same.