Thread: Are they ready for the S.E.X talk??

Default Are they ready for the S.E.X talk??

My older children haven't asked any questions, but they giggle at the sex word and have little natters to each other. They are at a catholic school who wont do sex ed till high school. I have overheard some comments about sex between them. Should DH and I sit them down for a basic discussion before they get confused or the wrong info??

I think you should sit them down for a basic discussion before they get confused or the wrong info. It seems young but at lease they will have the right info and not stuff they learn in the playground. Which is normally wrong info.

You could sit them down formally or wait until you hear them and then join in on the conversation and correct any miss information and ask them what they have heard/know so that you can gauge how much info. is needed. They are still quite young and you don't want to fill them with to much detail but at the same time you don't want them being miss guided by school friends.

Oh, this is what im already dreading!!!
    If your children are already nattering to each other there's probably some playground conversation going on, so it's probably worth the talk, so they do have the facts right, as the previous posts have mentioned.
    Also that way you can explain it's a 'sensitive' issue and not something to talk about at school (from what i have heard a lot of primary schools are uncomfortable with the kids talking about it in the playground) and also let them know that it's best not to talk about it with mason (or younger cousins that sort of thing).
    I guess i probably don't really have much to go by in the parental side of things, but i think i got the beginnings of the talk when i was about seven, i used to pinch mum's tampons and let them expand in the bath so she explained what they were for and i asked a lot of questions so it sort of went from there. I guess it has a lot to do with how mature you feel they are as well...

paradise lost Guest

Yeah they're rpbably readt for a bit of a chat. THey're a great age for a book or two - there are some wonderful ones out there with good clear pictures and lots of info on relationships/respect etc. so that right from the start you can focus more on the emotional and relationship aspects and cover the physical as a by-the-by thing, kwim? Have a look on amazon, there's a lot out there. You could also give them a chat then take them to a bookstore and tell them choose a book they like (more likely to get read) on the topic with your guidance.

Bx

Quote Originally Posted by rosehannah View Post
    ... or wait until you hear them and then join in on the conversation and correct any miss information and ask them what they have heard/know so that you can gauge how much info. is needed. They are still quite young and you don't want to fill them with to much detail but at the same time you don't want them being miss guided by school friends.
    I agree completely with this, I think it's a great way to deal with it, for a couple of reasons.

1. If you gently insert yourself into the conversation, they will be more receptive - a lot of children (I know I did) are so embarrassed by being "sat down" for the "birds and the bees" talk that they will do their best to avoid it, and;
    2. It normalises the idea of talking about sex with you. It will help them to be more comfortable and open discussing sexual issues and relationship issues with you as they grow older, and I think that's really important.

I think your right ladies. I've often told the kids "its not rude, but it is private " when iv'e heard them say it at a time when I cant stop to talk atm. I have a large Readers Digest book on sex and relationships thats for all ages, and i've seen the kids look at it on the book shelf. Might be time to look at it together!!! Thanks girls, I'm on the right track!!

Good luck Jodie!