Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for the talk... not the sex one!!!

Red face Time for the talk... not the sex one!!!

Well DD1 is almost 11...... and is getting moody and *****y on the odd occasion, unlike her at all
    And me and Ad have noticed little "buds" forming into little breasts....

I was wearing a bra from 5th grade and also got my period that year too....

So we bought pads in the last shopping, and I'm gonna sit down and have the "period and pads" talk...

I've got a little bag thing with some of the pads, some undies and some gym pants too.. ( i liked putting them over my undies and pad, felt more secure and covered up the wings...) that she keep in her school bag, and take on sleepovers and to her dads house.. I've worded him up to have some pads in her bathroom at his house too....

Anything I've forgotten?? She knows I use tampons for bleeding, but doesnt know know much else..... just thats it part of being older...

Good luck! It's not as bad as you think it's going to be.

We had 'that' talk not so long ago. DS was absolutely hilarious! As I was telling him he was covering his ears saying "Mum STOP!" "EWWWW" "Do we have to talk about this?" LMAO.

DD was most interested though. She got a new pair of bathers which had the sanitary protection sticker in htem and asked me why it had a period pad in it LMAO!!

Ohh, too cute!!!

Ill always remember mum telling my young brother that pads were for your shoes, to keep them clean and smell nice..... well guess who started wearing them in his basketball sneakers?????

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Butterfly View Post
    Ohh, too cute!!!

Ill always remember mum telling my young brother that pads were for your shoes, to keep them clean and smell nice..... well guess who started wearing them in his basketball sneakers?????

One of our babysitters had tampons fall out of her school bag so we told our brother tampons were ear plugs for when you go swimming! Oh the things you do!

I'm not looking forward to this day, but I'm definetely taking tips from you!
    It just happened to me out of the blue, mum was at work, I was hanging with my mates & home alone. I cried.
    I love your idea of the bag. You've done well!

I'll be watching this thread with interest, thanks for posting PB
    My DD is 9, but I've noticed little 'buds' too. I am really not looking forward to having this conversation with her as she complelety freaks out now when she sees the tiniest bit of blood!
    I cried for days when AF first visited me, and I have the feeling this will be her reaction when we have this talk too...

Nic

Good luck with it all. I remember my mum had 'this' talk with me, only thing was that she was too late, I had already been getting my periods for half a year, I just hadn't told her. I didn't know how to break the news to her when she decided to have the talk so the next month when I got my period I pretented that was the first time

So maybe you should ask her if she has had one yet and how much she knows about it all first - it may save some embarrassment. Also I have noticed a Kas Cooke book out ther called 'girls stuff' (I haven't read it though so don't know how good it is) - maybe something like that would be useful, teenage (and pre-teen) girls don't always like talking to their parents about things, but it is good for them to have all the useful information.

I knew all about it before it happened too, luckily... mum was at work and I was at home with dad... who is a prude!!!

So I fixed myself up, put my undies in the wash tub, and told mum when she came home. She told me how well i'd done, and showed me how to soak them in a bucket with water and powder...
    So not a big drama at all... hoping it goes as well for Taylah!!!!

I just hope she's here, and not at her dads!!!! He'll ring me to come deal with it, the sook!!!!

Uumm, good idea, I might grab her book too!!!!

I had the talk with my daughter when she was about your daughter's age.
    I got my first AF at 12 and I was very developed by then (wearing a C cup bra )
    My daughter is 12 in July and she has small breasts now... she wears a bra everyday and she also carries a little make up bag in her school bag with 2 pads & some underpants as well as some spare change ($3) for just in case she is at a friends after school or somewhere and needs to call me.
    I've always been open about things like this so I know she will definitely not hide it from me when she does get her period for the first time. I think when she does, I will take her out somewhere nice for lunch to celebrate her growing up.

My Aunt and Uncle took each of thier kids out for milkshakes!!!!!

It was a big deal, they had 7 kids, 6 girls, and a bought milkshake was major luxury!!!

Uummm, might take Tay to our local tavern for dinner....she'd love that....
    Another good idea, thanks!!!

My dsd got hers a couple of months ago. There is a couple of very good websites. Mods please delete if I'm not allow to have them here. It's My body and Libragirl :: HOME

Oh, I hope they can stay so all the parents of pre teens can see them... the "its my body " is really good... thanks.....

My older sister sort of had the talk with me! How slack was my mum?! I remember that book - Where do I come from and it had pictures or different ages of boys & girls and their development.

I feel bad, but I've already had a talk with DD7 not *the* talk, but she knows I have periods and why. And she also knows when she's a teenager her boobs will grow, her vagina will get hairy and her "baby house" will start cleaning itself out for when she's an adult (ie. her period). This is how I explained it, that "The house in my tummy (as she called it that when pg with DS) cleans itself out once a month if it doesn't get used to grow a baby. And because the house is made of blood, it comes out as blood." She sees it as just like me dusting heh. It was age appropriate, and it stopped her freaking out over my menstrual period.

When it finally does happen, we plan on celebrating her womanhood. And I keep meaning to read a book called "The Red Tent" which my gf is reading, it explores the old world and how they celebrated a girl entering her womanhood (as well as parts of the bible).

Ooo, I'll look that book up too...

Something on the Libra site I never thought of was Liners... I should get her those to wear before hand shouldn't I??? Ill have to take more notice of her undies too I guess..... eeeewwwww

The two big kids might like deodorant now too????
    They have a face scrub in the shower for Jay, he gets the odd pimple now and then.....

Yeah liners are a definite must for pubescent girls. All those hormones create a LOT of discharge.

eeeewwww again
    I'll grab some in this weeks shop, and talk on Sunday night....
    I have a few sex books, but I have a good one, The Guide to Love and Sex.. ill see if it has mestruation in it, it should.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast