Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scrapbbooking for beginner.....

Default Scrapbbooking for beginner.....

Id like to start scrapbooking some pics when bub arrives but i really have no idea where to start??? I go to Kmart etc and see all the gorgeous stuff but really dont know what to do! Can anyone steer me in the right direction- (courses- maybe not seeing as Ive got kind of limited time!!) Maybe a shop/online store or suggestions of what to buy to begin with!! Fussy arent I!
    TIA

clare076 Guest

Google Creative Memories and find out your closest consultant. They run classes, usually as a party plan set up where you get a few friends together and learn how to do a basic page.(good option if you will have a baby at the time) Some consultants also open their own home and run workshops each week for a small fee. Your other option is to see if you can find a scrap booking store in your local area and go there for classes.
    They do sell a lot of products, but bear in mind that you can now pick up heaps of lovely stuff from kmart, etc. alot cheaper too.

suggestions for stuff to get you started
    - an album
    - album refill pages
    - colourful paper (plain paper works just as nice as printed)
    - photo adhesive (either a photo glue stick, or double sided tape)
    - colourful pens used for journalling
    - an assortment of stickers
    Last edited by clare076; April 16th, 2007 at 10:46 PM.

oooohhh great thread,

I have been wanting to get into this too.

will be watching this space closely and I think I will check out that creative memories too.

Also, don't forget that Crazy Clarks, Warehouse and those other $2 shops have stickers that are cheap as well.
    The biggest hint is to make sure that anything you buy is acid free. The acids in stickers and glues can destroy your photos.
    Google scrapbooking and suss out other peoples pages for ideas, there are also magazines that you can buy or borrow from the library that will give you some good hints.

Remember to have copies of your photos (or back ups on disk/negatives) in case of accidently cutting someones head off (yep, I have done it).

The Creative Memories idea is great, but be aware that their prices are a bit on the high side. You can find a great album and pages from Crazy Clarks or even Big W without breaking the bank.

Also, ebay has great stickers. So you can search for something specific, like baby, or bath or boy/girl.

Good luck, it is a lot of fun and a great way to show off photos

Smile

I came across some $3 starter packs for scrapbooking and have started a baby scrapbook. I really didnt know what it was about but have since learnt that its mainly for photos.

I also want to use mine as a record of the pregnancy so it will have a lot of writing, details from antenatal visits, ultrasound dates, symptoms etc etc...

I've been looking around the house for things i can use, I came across a pack of lilac envelopes and used superglue to stick ribbons from the pack around the edges and buttons in the corners. Very cheap and easy and it looks so cute!

I dont have an album yet but I've started to work out the layout of the pages for when I get one!

i have found a great website called scrappjazz and it has a great gallery i find very insperational
    Last edited by Trillian; April 18th, 2007 at 05:58 PM. Reason: removing the 'dot com'

*las* Guest

Have you considered Digital Scrapbooking??

It's all done on the computer, you can find lots of free stuff to get you started and you just need a program like Photo Shop or Paint Shop Pro.

I've been doing it for 3 years and absolutely love it.

Thanks for all the tips ladies - will check out the websites, Las - can you print off the pages you create with digital scrapbooks?? My problem is we have thousands of digital photos on the computer but we never see most of them unless we are on the computer and i really want to have a physical memory - IYKWIM!!

*las* Guest

Yes! I do most of my layouts in 12x12 and have them printed at a Professional Printer. Some I do 8x8 and I can print them myself at home.

I have an album. The plus of digital is that if you want to make changes, you can just delete what you've done, and there is no mess!! You can save your work half way through and come back to it when you are ready, without having to clean up, as such!

I guess it depends which style you prefer

BTW - we live in neighbouring suburbs - I'm Blackburn Sth

Oh thanks for that - is there a particular site that you use, or program!!
    LOL at neighbours! Hows this beautiful Melbourne weather!

Girls there is a thread here all about scrapbooking if you want to check it out.

http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=29142

Lincraft has great stuff as well . I was in there today and they actually have kits for baby albums which are only $19.95 and include the album!.

Digiscrapping is the bomb!! I absolutely adore it. My sister got so hooked she now has her own business designing all the elements for kits and stuff as well as doing layouts. I reckon digi scrapping allows you to be so much more creative than with the traditional paper scissors and glue...I guess it depends on what your mind set is...some people prefers hands on to a screen...It is great fun though no matter what way you choose.

If you want google nuts4digi or clikchicdesigns...these are both Australian sites. Digscrapping also works out cheaper as you pay say $5 for a full kit of maybe 50 elements but you can use those elements an infinite number of times.

All you need is some sort of photo/graphics programme....most people use either adobe photoshop or Paintshoppro.......you can always find a "free" download of these somewhere on the net.

*las* Guest

Melanie - you know the Aussie girls I'm also as Clik Chic Designs, I know Kirsty

I ditto everything Melanie said...everything is free and available on the net!

The other bonus is, once you buy a kit, you keep it forever and can use it as many times as you want!

Dont forget Spotlight.

Thanks for all the great tips ladies - looks like digiscrapping is for as i spend so much time on this d*** thing, plus Im not that "crafty" so it sounds like me!! Cheers!

las my sister is macasm8...she and fiona now have their own site.

*las* Guest

Oh yes, I know of Debbie and Fiona! Small world!

Do you have a gallery at CD...or just at your sister's site??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast