Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrapbooking and Craftwork General Chatter

Thanks for the hints girls....defintely something to think about!! Will have a look for magazine tomorrow Trish and Sarah will defintely take your ideas on board

I'm very excited now...I might actually be able to do something!!!

I'll let you know how I get on though!

Cheers Jess

Jess, Scrapbooking Memories this month is quite good and it has a back copy of My Reflections in it. As well as a couple of sheets of paper. It is around $9.95. I am a beginner also and think these mags are good for beginners this month.

I also borrow these from my library, or if you find you like the mags, people sell them cheap on ebay.

Big W and Kmart also sell page kits for many different things, like school days and travel. Kmart have 50% most scrapbooking items from today.

I'm a scraplifter too!

rarmalb Guest

Hi jess,

I just started scrapbooking a few weeks ago- and was a little aprehensive. I have started by buying some paper, and a cheaper album, and just experimenting, and not putting too much pressure on myself to create 'the perfect album'- after all it's only the first time round

Have fun playing around- it' very relaxing, and I should be PERFECT at it by the time we have children

R

Jess,

I just did a class at my local shop. It was $20 for 2 hours, and we finished 2 pages. They supplied all the paper, cutters and photostickers for that price, and I just brought the photos, and paid for extra embellishments.

I'm SOOOOOO happy with my pages!! They are the birth ones, so are very dramatic, but really special. And its given me lots of ideas with other pages too.

Fi

Fi - great stuff on your class. I am having one on Sunday myself so looking forward to that very much. I am also going to do workshops once a month, I think that is enough time inbetween cause I am bound to spend the $$ so once a month is a good space.

I have found a site on the net, Aus Scrap Central and that has free classes, good for beginners that can't get to classes. Also has stuff they sell. Let me know folks if you want the actual link.

Just a quick question for all those seasoned scrapbookers

I'm slowly slowly starting to collect things to get Zander's first album done, but am finding heaps of different things that I love. For example, I have some Suzy's Zoo stickers which are cute, but I also have different branded stickers as well.

Soooo the question is - do you keep the same sort of theme all the way through the book? Oooor do you just stick with one idea per page & allow them all to be totally different colours / sticker themes etc?

Sarah, IT's all your choice! That's the wonderful thing about scrapbooking...there are no rules. It's whatever you want to do. :-)
    You could decide to do one theme for the whole album, and this does tend to make the album get finished a lot quicker. Or you can do every page different, and just enjoy doing each page.
    You will have lots of album's in your future, so if you want to theme, but want to play with all these beautiful things as well, just think that you can use them on the next album.
    Julz

Sarah, I just do one theme per page generally, I find that doing double layouts get's your album finished quicker. Also a little advise but it's totally up to you. I did the same thing and went mad on getting stickers. I still have heaps. I just don't use them very much. And as hard as it is, don't scrap your best pics first, as time goes on and you get better at it you will be able to do a much better job with them.

With scrapping it's all a personal thing, what you may not love other people will thing is great and vice versa. There are no real rules (other than making sure all your products are acid free and not using sticky tape). Have fun with your album.

Fi, sounds like you had a good time at your scrap lesson. The shop I go to runs the beginners class over 4 weeks, 2 hours each lesson for $12.

Nell, it's so easy to go to a class and walk away having spent $50. I find that if I'm going to a scrap night now that I take as much of my own supplies as I can carry. Usually then I'm lucky to have spent $5

I brought alittle scrapbook kit yesterday, it's a little album with all the embelishments included for $13.95. I got a boy's one to make up for my brother, you can girl and wedding ones too. Very cute and hopefully quick. I need to get it done by tomorrow 8-[

Happy scrappin
    Take care
    Trish

For the kids albums I usually do double page spreads and stick to 1 theme for that , but the whole album is all very different in total.
    The only time I stick to a theme for an entire album, is when its a pressie ( ie An aunt loves purple, so did only shades of purple for her album)

You've got to think too, it will be for more than a year, IYKWIM, and say Easter stickers,you dont want to have to use the suzy zoo ones more than once. You will see ideas you absolutely love, and it wont match the others, so yeah I reckon take each page as it comes!!!

Hello,
    I was just reading emails, and a whole group of friends are talking about altered books. I goggled and read up, and thought this would be a great fun thing to do with kids, to introduce them to scrapbooking, without things needing to be perfect.
    It seems to be taking a book (anything from an 8 page chidlren's board book* to full on hardcovers) and sticking, painting, drawing, writing anything on them. Some are themed, and I think others are just art forms.
    Only 3 weeks until I go on a scrapbooking retreat!! I can't wait!
    Julz

Julz, yay on the retreat. I went on one last year for the weekend and had a great time. My scrap shop is having another one in November and I really want to go, and the girls want me to go. The only thing is I'll have to take Tehya, I don't think this is fair to all the other girls that are going as nobody else will have kids there, you know, it's a break from the kids too. Anyway the girls that run the shop have even offered to take their daughters aged 13 to look after bub.

A great offer but I still don't think I'll take them up on it. Kids soon get bored with looking after a baby and Tehya will be 8 months old by then, so not so little and cutesy anymore also getting into things.

Altered books are great, hope that you guys have fun making them up. I spent the better part of yesterday and last night making an album up for my brother to give to him today. He'd better like it

Have a great time on your retreat too.

Take care
    Trish

MUMMY4LIFE is offline .: ~ Don't regret anything that ever made you smile ~ :.

Hi all,
    I am so excited, I have spent the last week bidding on ebay and I have won some really great scrapbooking stuff...A lot of it is hand made stuff that I just don't get the time to make. I can't wait until it arrives as I have so many ideas to use the stuff in. Because I have been bidding on ebay and not much else in the little spare time that I have, I haven't done much scrapbooking and so I am suffering from withdrawals and I guess I better put some of my ideas down on paper before I forget them as I have so many wizzing around my head.

Happy Scrappin' Girls
    Take Care X

Well Girls,

I've booked in for a beginners scrapbooking class next Wednesday. I'm really excited about it! I've been looking on ebay and there is so much stuff on there.....I can't wait until I know what I'm doing so I can go shopping!!

I'll let you know how I go at class!!

Thanks for you advice

Jess

Trish, shame about the retreat. I know our group allow babies under 1 to go (mostly cos we are all still breast feeding when they are that age) but I have noticed those mother's don't get much done. Thou I enjoyed the cuddles from the tiny visitors last year. *grins*It was lovely of the shop to make that offer. :-) Make sure you take some time to yourself that weekend, to scrap at home or a friends house!
    TY, I love retreats! Just so focused and so many wonderful ideas to see.

I'd love to hear what your brother thought of his album.

Karen, that sounds like fun! Get stuck into it and play with alll your new toys. :-)

Jess, whoohoo!! Oh, I hope you have lots of fun and enjoy learning about this great new hobby. I'd love to see the pages you create.

I have my workshop this Friday, and we are doing "Christmas in July" and I am wrapt. I have so many great pics of Nina and her cousin sharing their first christmas together, and have so many great new ideas to ty out. :-)

Silky

Woohooo I just won a mini boys album on ebay, now I'll have a scrapbook as a little brag book I can show off!

But the real reason I came on was another question, yup I'm full of 'em! For those that have printed on vellum, what sort of printer did you use? We have an inkjet & I'm just worried that it would smudge.

Yay on your win Sarah. With the printing onto vellum, set your paper settings on your printer properties to Transperancy. This takes alittle longer to print and some printers - like mine will hold it in them for a little longer to allow for drying. It does smudge very easily so you need to put it aside for a while to dry out.

Also, if you are interested in using embossing power you can sprinkle some very fine embossing powder over the print while it is still wet and used an embossing dryer (or do like I do and use the toaster) to melt the powder and set it. This loooks great. Just don't hold the vellum or paper too close to the toaster.

HTH

Take care
    Trish

Wow Trish, that sounds like fun!
    I did the inkjet printer test on my vellums and it was a no go, even after it dried, (still smudged) but I think the embossing would bond with it. I am going to try that!

Otherwise, apparently, laser printers will bond the ink properly to vellums...I don't have one but a friend did print like that and it didn't smudge...so if you know anyone with a laser printer, bake some biscuits and invite yourself over with puter disk and vellum!

Congrats Sarah, I'm sure you'll enjoy having a beautifully decorated brag book to show off your greatest works of art. ;-)

Julie

Well done on your win Sarah. I may steal your idea if that is okay. I'd love to do a similar thing for work, so I have handy to show people when they want to see piccies of Matthew.

I have a question too - what albums do you all use? 12x12's? Or smaller? What type if so? Some don't have the toploading pages do they? You just stick them on the page? If so, how do you protect them?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast