Thread: Natural supplements

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Natural supplements

Just thought I would share some natural supplements to try if you are not on medication - you need to make sure you let your GP/psych know about any natural medicines you are taking before you do go on meds.

Some basics to start with are Magnesium, D3, Omega-3, B12, (Zinc, Selenium). L-Theanine is an amino acid and is found in green tea and helps the brain to achieve a higher level of relaxation. Some women say 200mg is a good dose for them. But always check dosage with a naturopath or assistant in a natural health food store (often naturopaths work there). Dont get anything from a supermarket, they are usually useless or processed in a way that they are not best absorbed. These things are okay while breastfeeding.

Some women have success with Vitex (capsules), continuing with prenatal vitamins as usual, and fish oil or flaxseed oil capsules, as many as 10 a day (for the oil capsules not others!). I like to take Krill Oil, which is way better than other fish oils. More concentrated, smaller to take.

Rescue remedy can be used but not with medication.

Obviously B vitamins are very important, so if you don't have multi's, at least have a B complex.

Buying supplements from the supermarket is not advised unless it's the quality brands, most are not that strong at all. Blackmores is now in supermarkets but just be careful you are not buying something which isn't going to do much for you.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; July 21st, 2011 at 09:39 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

what does vitex do ??? how does it help anxiety ??

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Numerous studies have shown that vitex (chasteberry) has displayed enormous facility in relieving symptoms or addressing deficiencies associated with hormonal imbalances.

Great for PMT, fertility probs, PCOS etc... anything hormonal for women.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; December 16th, 2007 at 10:39 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

My natropath has prescribed Nevaton and it seems to be helping. This is a product description:

The blend of herbs in Nevaton offer nervous system and digestive support. St. John's Wort, Schisandra, Damiana and Skullcap provide a wide range of phytochemicals including the naphthodianthrones hypericin and pseudohypericin (hypericins), flavonoids, phenolics, dibenzocyclooctene lignans, sesquiterpenes, monoterpenes and other compounds. The St. John's Wort component of this tablet is standardized to contain 413 mcg/tablet of hypericins and 3.75 mg/tablet of hyperforin to ensure optimal strength and quality. Nevaton can help to:

* calm the nerves and restore balance in temporary mood swings,
    * support healthy nervous system response,
    * support healthy digestive function,
    * encourage balance between the body and mind,
    * ease the effects of occasional stress, and
    * provide support and maintenance of the liver.

Caution: Not to be used during pregnancy and lactation unless otherwise directed by a qualified health care practitioner. Do not use this product while taking any prescription drug(s) without the advice of your prescribing physician. Avoid excessive exposure to UV irradiation (e.g. sunlight, tanning) when using this product.

He said that BF in my case should be ok given that I have almost weaned (have only fed 3 times in the last week).

I have certainly noticed that i am calmer especially during the witching hour!

Also I was reading a newspaper article last week that said that western scientists have been testing St John's wort and the results are looking good... apparently it can be "as good as Prozac but without the side effect". I assume this would only be the good quality (practitioner strength) St John's wort. I agree Kelly, supermarket supplements are usually ineffective.
    Last edited by Bathsheba; October 13th, 2008 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BellyBelly View Post

Obviously B vitamins are very important, so if you don't have multi's, at least have a B complex.
    Sooo, how does Berocca compare? I have some in the cupboard and noramlly have them when I am sleep deprived or very busy but was wondering if they are any good for a nat supp for PND etc
    Also, this might be going out on a limb, but has anyone any idea about what foods would be of benefit. Obviously eating healthy, low Gi foods but just though there might be particualr foods.....like i said out on a limb with this Q!

xxxx

I've heard that there's something in dark green leafy vegetables that have an anti-depressant effect. It was in the paper last week... might be worth Googling.

Oh thanks heaps. Will do that right now.

Many thanks for replying.
    xxxx

Default Berocca vs The Good Stuff...

Hello

Just responding to the berocca question...

Sadly, Berocca contains much lower amounts of important vitamins and minerals than good quality practitioner only multi-vitamins. You can compare the ingredients of Berocca with the ingredients of my favourite (and extensively researched) pregnancy/breast-feeding/pre-conception multi below:

Berocca:
    15 mg B1 Thiamine hydrochloride
    15 mg B2 Riboflavin
    50 mg B3 Nicotinamide
    23 mg B5 Pantothenic acid
    10 mg B6 Pyridoxine hydrochloride
    10 mcg B12 Cyanocobalamin
    500 mg C Ascorbic acid
    100 mg Calcium
    150 mcg H Biotin
    400 mcg Folic acid
    100 mg Magnesium
    10 mg Zinc

Natal Complete
    NUTRIMEDICINE

* Betacarotene 3 mg
    * Thiamine hydrochloride (Vitamin B1) 50 mg
    * Riboflavine (Vitamin B2) 50 mg
    * Nicotinomide (Vitamin B3) 75 mg
    * Calcium pantothenate (Vitamin B5) 27.5 mg
    * Pyridoxine hydrochloride 25 mg
    (Vitamin B6 20.6 mg)
    * Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12) 250 mcg
    * Folic acid 250 mcg
    * Biotin 100 mg
    * Cholecalciferol 3.75 mcg
    (Vitamin D3 150 IU)
    * d-alpha-Tocopheryl acid succinate 161.2 mg (Vitamin E 195 IU)
    * Choline bitartrate 50 mg
    * Inositol 30 mg
    * R,S?alpha Lipoic acid 30 mg
    * Lycopene 2.5 mg
    * Potassium phosphate-dibasic 55.7 mg
    (equivalent to elemental Potassium 25 mg)
    * Magnesium phosphate 145.2 mg
    (equivalent to elemental Magnesium 30 mg)
    * Zinc amino acid chelate 50 mg
    (equivalent to elemental Zinc 10 mg)
    * Manganese amino acid chelate 50 mg
    (equivalent to elemental Manganese 5 mg)
    * Iron amino acid chelate 25 mg
    (equivalent to elemental Iron 5 mg)
    * Sodium perborate 3.5 mg
    (equivalent to elemental Boron 246.4 mcg)
    * Potassium iodide 104.6 mcg
    (equivalent to elemental Iodine 80 mcg)
    * Copper gluconate 1.8 mg
    (equivalent to elemental Copper 250 mcg)
    * Molybdenum trioxide 75 mcg
    (equivalent to elemental Molybdenum 50 mcg)
    * Selenomethionine 32.5 mcg
    (equivalent to elemental Selenium 13 mcg)
    * Calcium citrate hydrate 284.7 mg
    (total elemental Calcium 62 mg)
    * Chromic chloride 1 mg
    (equivalent to elemental Chromium 200 mcg)

It's pretty easy to see that the Natal Complete is a really comprehensive formula, and has higher amounts of all the important nutrients that are required during pregnancy and lactation. If you have the time to have a quick look at both of these, you'll see some big differences. And I'm not dissing Berocca... it has it's place, especially for hangovers... (although I remember it containing saccharin or aspartame last time I checked...)

Along with a multi-vitamin, some good quality fish oil capsules are highly beneficial in PND, and are clinically proven to assist in mood disorders. Herbs are also truly wonderful for replenishing depleted nutrient levels and nurturing run-down nervous systems post pregnancy.

It really is worth chatting to a Naturopath to get individual care and and treatment, as the causes and treatments for depression are very broad. There are many ways to get you feeling like your old self again.

Lots of love
    xxx

Nicole

wow i love that there are some alternatives to taking 'meds' for depression, will definatly keep this in mind should i get PND again, or is it worth getting onto some fish oil tablets asap? already taking pregnancy/breastfeeding multies

Nicole, thanks heaps for that info! Have to go to the shops today so will look into buying some fish oil tablets. We an't afford a Naturopath atm, so would Black***** be okay? Where can I buy Natal Complete from?

I looked up the green leafy vegie altenative and it seems that due to high magnesium content, they have a calming effect. Yay! Love my Silverbeet and Spinach!!!!!

xxxx

Green leafy vegies are absolutely wonderful for us - the darker the green, the more magnesium

If anyone is interested, I did a research piece a few years ago on 'Anti-depressant Breakfasts'. I'd be happy to post it here if you're keen to have a look.

Also, I sell Natal Complete through the BellyBelly clinic, and on my website:
    Nurtured By Nature - Australia

All the best Lovely Ladies - I'll keep an eye on this forum, and I'm always happy to help out with any questions

xxx

double

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleTracy View Post
    Green leafy vegies are absolutely wonderful for us - the darker the green, the more magnesium

If anyone is interested, I did a research piece a few years ago on 'Anti-depressant Breakfasts'. I'd be happy to post it here if you're keen to have a look.

would love to see this nicole!!