Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Father Paying/Contributing Expenses During Pregnancy, and Legal Rights.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I think the difficult part will be establishing paternity. Once you're past that hurdle, at least you know CSA will help with the rest.

ACtually I'll ask my sis what is going on with it all now. Her bub is 5 months old, and the "father" refused to sign the birth cert, even though he knows he is the dad. She hasn't mentioned paternity tests yet....

hun, this might sound horrible, but, do you really want this "man" to be part of bubs life?

trust me, the lame amount of $$ you will get is nothing to be bothered to strive for.

You and bubs might just be better off if you have nothing to do with him.

I know its hard, but its something that i guess you should consider.

Be strong!!!

And sorry if my input is not wanted.

unfortunately Kitt3n, whether you WANT the person in your life doesn't make any difference. the government believe that it is the responsibility of BOTH parents to financially contribute to the upbringing, and simply put, if you don't get his help, then you don't get the governments help either.

it may be a pittance that he's supposed to pay - it might be a massive amount he should be contributing - but if you don't make an effort, then you'll be considered to not be meeting your requirements under the goverment legislation, and you can't get more than the basic rate of ftba - and realistically, the difference between $45 and $145 (plus rent assistance) a fortnight makes it LONG TERM worth the effort. if he IS a deadbeat, there are ways that the CSA can chase him for the money over a period of time, but only if there is a registered case - if not, then not only do you miss out on whatever pittance he's supposed to pay, but also miss out on up to $225 in combined ftb/rent assistance each fortnight... i doubt there are too many people that can honestly afford that as new single parents...

I know this is totally OT but i had to ask...
    What if you get pregnant by just having some dirty weekend on a holiday and you have absolutely no idea who the father is?
    I can understand why CL, FAO, CSA want you to go to certain lengths, but surely there is a time when this is impracticable?
    Ignore me, i just had to ask.

Kailz i really hope that you can work this out. I'm still in disbelief that you were TTC for so long and now he is acting like such a jerk

I know Bg, my ex has to pay me a grand total of $14 a month, and he doesnt even pay that. thsi is what i mean by wondering if its worth the hassles. My ex works for himself and doesnt declare his earnings.

But ashleajane has a good point, what if you dont knwo/not sure who the father is? Can c link be that nasty with entitlements?

in that case, you'd have to go to a social worker and discuss it with them. you would have to make an effort to discern paternity. if you genuinely have NO IDEA, then you have to sign declarations to that effect. if it's later found to be untrue (ie, you DID know the paternity), then you would have to pay back a hell of a lot of money

FWIW, i personally know of someone who had to get three individuals tested for paternity. it wasn't pretty, but it had to happen. c'link aren't "nasty", they're just doing the right thing by ensuring that both biological parents are financially responsible for the child - if not, the assistance available isn't stopped, it's simply reduced.

kitt3n - even if your ex only has to pay you $14 a month, its something towards the childs upbringing. had you decided not to go ahead with pursuing that measley amount, you'd have lost a hell of a lot more than that from the government... it really is worth it

as for the ex that doesn't declare his earnings, the government (CSA,c'link, ATO) don't know these things unless they're pointed out, so do a tip off! it's not "dobbing", it's not "un-Australian" - it's the right thing to do. why should he get away with not paying taxes (if nothing else) - the rest of us have to do it!!! and you can guarantee he makes use of goverment funded services in his everyday life (medicare etc)...

Quote Originally Posted by briggsy's girl View Post

kitt3n - even if your ex only has to pay you $14 a month, its something towards the childs upbringing. had you decided not to go ahead with pursuing that measley amount, you'd have lost a hell of a lot more than that from the government... it really is worth it

as for the ex that doesn't declare his earnings, the government (CSA,c'link, ATO) don't know these things unless they're pointed out, so do a tip off! it's not "dobbing", it's not "un-Australian" - it's the right thing to do. why should he get away with not paying taxes (if nothing else) - the rest of us have to do it!!! and you can guarantee he makes use of goverment funded services in his everyday life (medicare etc)...
    Unfortunately you cant just do a "tip off". I tried to go through this, but in order to do so you have to fill out a massive form, and you HAVE TO declare that you have informed the other party that you have submitted this info to CSA!

So in order to tip off CSA, you have to let the non paying, tax evading scum know that you are doing so.

You can only imagine the hell that this would have brought on me.

I just hope karma comes his way.

I have in the past when processing payroll been requested by CSA to deduct child support payments from staff member pays and remit the amount monthly. So if the father is in paid employment, there are ways to get them to pay up.

I have tipped off Centrelink before and was able to remain anonymous. ATO was a bit harder, whilst I could stay anon, I had to provide a lot more information than I was able to at the time. I know that Centrelink and the ATO "talk" to each other, so I assume the CSA would have access to their income records. So maybe a tip off to Centrelink or the ATO, rather than CSA, may get a result?

sorry for the thread hijack kailz!!!

already did the clink thing.

karma, thas all it can boil down to.

I can totally relate to this. my ex left when he found out i was pregnant. i saw him twice in the 9 months of the pregnancy. he kept saying that he believed he was the father but still wanted a dna test. I gave birth 2 weeks early (due to complications i had known about for some time) I had kept him informed via text messages on how our baby was doing.
    Because of his behaviour he missed our daughters birth and i let all my friends and family meet her before he got a chance to.
    we went to court when she was 6 weeks old and he tried to get joint custody but still wanted a dna test. The judge said no to joint custody but approved the dna test thing. it came back at 99.9% positive. because he got the test done it meant he had no choice but to agree to child support all though i very rarely get it.

we were back in court again when she was 5 1/2 months old and he again tried for joint custody and again got denied. So now he has my daughter every second weekend for the saturday night only. ( He didnt want her for two night because it would interupt his social life to much ( go figure) H ealso gets her for a few hours on her birthday, his birthday, christmas day and fathers day. Although he misses most of those visitations with her because he cant be bothered.

Honestly if id known back then what i knew now i wouldnt have let him know she was born or have him sign the birth certificate. My daughter hates going to his house and most of the time he dumps her on his mother or grand mother so he can go out.

I thought i was doing the right thing giving him a chance to know his daughter but he just abuses thee wonderful gift i gave him and since we have court orders, even though he rarely pays child support i still have no choice but to send her to him unless i want to go back to court again which i cant afford.

So Kailz maybe it might be better just to forget about your babys father cause sometimes they just give you more problems then they're worth. My daughter is now 3 1/2 years old and i still have issues trying to get her father to see her when he is supposed to and to pay up his child support.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12