Thread: Black Tie 60's ????

Question Black Tie 60's ????

Me and DH has a function on the 17th and I have NO IDEA what to wear!!!!!!!

The theme of the function is 60's Rock & Roll (think Elvis and vinyl) BUT it's a black tie function. So the invitation says that you must "give your black tie a 60's touch" Honest - I don't even OWN black tie attire!!!! The thing is that we MAY be getting an award and that means that we will be photographed and that will be in the local paper. Now, I am not that vain, but I don't want to look like an idiot. And neither does my husband - for obvious reasons.

What do I wear!!??!!?? Any suggestions? Would it be very inaproppriate (sp) to just done a little (ok long) black number and him a suite?? When an invitation says something like that do you really, really HAVE to do the 60's touch thing? I was thinking about hiring a black evening gown for me and a suite for him and just NOT dress up? Would you consider that rude?
    Ps. I am not seeing DH doing the brill-cream-grease-lighting-thing He would rather go NAKED!!!

Yeepers, that's almost a contradication in terms isn't it - black tie and 'rock and roll'. Wasn't rock and roll supposed to be counter-culture?

If you're near a good vintage shop that does formal wear you might be lucky and find an elegant 60s evening gown - or even a new one in an early 60s cut. Luckily men's formal fashion hasn't changed that much - black tie is black tie - so your DH could probably won't have to resort to either brylcreme or nudity (although, if it came down to it, I think naked would be a less embarrassing option).

If in doubt go with what you are both comfortable with, you'll be much happier!

Thanks Suse!!!! Yes, my first thought was: how do you dress in wide skirts with dots/heaven forbid an Elvis suite AND be black tie??????
    I am exhausted - just spent more than a hour looking for pictures on the web. Had an epiphany!! Was Marilyn Monroe not a 60's Icon?? I could wear a black dress, but with the same basic cut as her ever popular white dress. My figure could pull that off (I am in fact a pear - like she was) And it's not so dated that I would feel "out" AND it's summer, so I don't have to worry about getting cold. And it would make me feel pretty *take skirt in hands and swing from side to side, while boring toe in grond*

I am phoning my sister. She is a production assisitent with a filming agency and SHE must know where I can hire some dresses!!

a black 60's gogo dress? The mini skirt first came out in the 60's. Think beehive hair, think up the calf boots, the gogo dress was often very mini with a collar up to the neck and arms short to the shoulder. Jackie O is very 60's. Its weird but the type of "rock" you guys are thinking of I think more 50's.

Chalalan Guest

Hi Nadine,

Have a look in my photo gallery, we did that 60s style for our wedding. I wish I could send you my dress, it would be perfect!

Hope you have fun, and get that award!

Cai I was thinking the same thing. Rock 'n Roll is more like 50's.

The first thing that popped into my head is think of Back to the Future and the dance they had. If you can watch the movie and try and replicate something there you'll be on a winner.

BabyLove I've had a sticky at your pictures before! They look great

I'd say think Jackie O. The real one not the radio bimbo!
    For me 60's formal wear was the long ball gown that was fitted at the top and wider at the bottom with long gloves and a gorgeous little clutch purse.
    Marilyn Monroe was definately 60's.

OH OH OH Breakfast at Tiffany's & Audry Hepburn

Love your wedding dress, babylove!!

Cai I am going to kiss and hug you till you scream for mercy!!!!! I never thought of Jackie O. And I searched some web-pages of her and saw this stunning pink evening gown (yes daclostar, with the long white gloves!!!) and I am thinking JACKPOT!!!!!!!!!! I can wear something like that and it's classic, so it does not even look as if it's out of fashion!!! And the gloves and clutch will be perfect little 60's touch. I could tell DH to hire a suit with a bow tie and vola - we are the Kennedy's!! O so very 60's

Thank you sooooo very much, all of you!!!!!!!

ps - I would look like a whale in a gogo dress I personally think you need an exeptional pair of legs for something like a gogo and calf boots!!