Thread: Dress For Melbourne Cup Day Lunch On-Line?

Default Dress For Melbourne Cup Day Lunch On-Line?

Anyone know any good websites for fashion?

Looking for something simple that I can 'jazz' up with accessories.

Have looked on ebay and not much there.

I don't know any in particular however I used to visit the Vogue forums for ideas and recommendations and heads-up on sales. If you're looking for a basic hat to dress up check out fabric & haberdashery stores like Lincraft and SpotLight. They sell plain hats for half of what you'd pay at a department store... but the decorations etc (feathers, ribbons etc) can be exxy.

My hint though is to start with the hat/head piece. It is often harder to find a hat to match a dress than it is to find a dress to match the the hat.

Hi Ellasmum,
    sorry can't help with recommendations but thought I would just say we went to caulfield cup on saturday and I was amazed at the range of dresses being worn. it was basically anything goes. or I should say, any style seemed fine. there was no real standard but lots of floaty floral, patterned, plain, cream stuff both short and long. I wished I was 30 again so you should have notprobs finding something I did notice that there were heaps more fascinators or headpieces or headbands ie. anything to jazz up your hair but not really lots of hats. and black was definitely not in this year.

Enchanted Guest

Hey Ellas mum.

I sent you a PM, I hope you get it.

Thanks Bath. I'm thinking 'fascinator' and you're right Spotlight's the place for that. Just have to con my friend in to helping me make one.

Hi anney. Thanks for the heads up about black!

Thanks so much Danielle for the PM!

My gf bought a green dress from Sussan and has jazzed it up with accessories. Looks really good.

Hi Julia

I have found a really simple mauve dress on ebay and I even found a fascinator to match! Just waiting on the dress to arrive and hoping and praying it will look good on. That's the only problem with buying on-line. You just don't know how it will look until you get it!

I'm sure it will look great!

Yay! Got it in the post today and all I need to find now is a silver belt to go with it!!