Thread: HELP needed please with makeup??

Default HELP needed please with makeup??

I've always been very clueless when it comes to make up, I grew up with very sensitive skin & as a result never used much stuff & was never really shown what to look for....so I am now desperately seeking the help of all you "yummy mummy"gals out there who know what to do.

I recently went to the David Jones to get some help with makeup & spent lots of $$$ on Laura Mercier products & they are not much chop!! I went mineral as I thought that is now the go It's terrible, when I put my sunnies on I have makeup all over them...I've never had that before.

Here's my prob, I was told I have really dry skin. I now use a really good cleanser & toner. But only a few hours after putting on foundation it looks all oily & starts coming off I would think that mean I had oily skin?? Should I be using a non oil based foundation??

So what products work for you, what is great & why?? What type of concealer & are they any good. I don't have great skin but not terrible either...just a few blemishes. How best do you apply loose powder, it never looks like I've applied anything. I was thinking perhaps an all in one foundation??

Any help would be great pleeaasseee. I hate going somewhere & feeling cruddy the entire time due to my make up. Thanks in advance.

First of all, non-oil based products for you! Get a good moisturiser. Foundation isn't necessary - try a high SPF moisturiser instead if you have good skin. Try maybe a foundation that's cream to put on but has a powder finish - they look great if you're not too sure. If you want powder foundation it should look pretty not-there - you need a good brush and put it all over, then do your bronzer on top of that.

Sensitive skin means that you should go really light on foundation else you'll come out all spotty, so use heavier foundation, so get worse skin... it's a vicious cycle so don't start it!

hi erin,
    do you really need to wear foundation? your skin doesn't sound too bad at all.
    i don't wear foundation at all but still put on eye make up and a bit of cheek colour if i'm going out.
    rosehip is right about a good moisturiser (make sure it has spf) working wonders.
    if you do feel like you need a foundation, one which may suit your needs is estee lauder 'double wear light'. it is really lightweight and natural but long wear ie. it stays on well. it has spf as well.
    good luck with it all xo

I'd establish if you have dry, oily or combination skin first. If the same people that told you you have dry skin, should never have recommended a toner...
    And if you spent big $$ on makeup recommended to you at DJs, Id be taking it back and explaining why.

Im not too familiar with the new mineral stuff yet, Im dying to give it a go. It can be really, really hard finding a foundation that suits. I use a couple of different ones according to the season as my skin changes so much.

What kind of skin do you think you have??

And if you spent big $$ on makeup recommended to you at DJs, Id be taking it back and explaining why
    Me too.

Your skin sounds very similar to mine.

I have made the book "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter without Me" my bible.

I spend very little on make up as a result (but always feel polished, LOL!)

I do wear make up every day.......

I use Oil of Ulan for sensitive skin straight after a shower. Once that has soaked in I then apply Dove Tinted Moisturiser over the top.

This "base" stays on and looks good all day and never looks oily, shiny, dry or flakey.

I then use a pressed mineral powder (I use Proof which is a bit exy but really worth it........a compact lasts for around a year of daily use.)

Good luck.......feeling like a yummy Mummy is not far away!
    Last edited by Lucy; June 14th, 2008 at 09:39 AM.

Oh yeah! You can't go past tinted moisturiser, especially if you dont wear much make up, its way easier to apply. I brush a powder over the top too - easy peasy!

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

Hi,
    I am a beauty therapist and I see this all the time. Mineral makeup can be fabulous especially for problem/comb skin and even dry skin. However, not all mineral is created equal IYKWIM? I wear a mineral foundation as I love the feel and its easy to apply, it should never be all over your sunnies though!

PM me if you want more info I would be happy to give you some names of good stuff.

PS - I agree I would take back the makeup you were sold if you are not happy with it. The thing about cosmetic counters is that you should be helped and guided by someone who knows what they are talking about and in this instance perhaps that hasn't happened? There are some fabulous girls at the DJ's counters though so maybe you just got someone a little less experienced?

I use mineral foundation, it's called iD Bare Minerals Foundation, made by Bare Escentuals. I love it. But I think it does take a little bit of time to learn how to apply it properly, you have to use a great brush and apply it by making small circles until you have great coverage all over your face and neck.

But yep, a great moisturiser is the key to.

I've got sensitive skin and only recently started wearing make-up during the day (normally only wore it if going out at night).

I use Everyday Minerals powdered mineral make-up. I don't need a whole lot of coverage but I find it makes me feel more polished. Their eyeshadows are great - normal e/s irritates my eyelids, but the EM stuff is awesome. Google the name for their website. You can get a sample kit for free with 3 foundations, 1 concealer and 1 blush and you just pay the postage (about US$5).

Highly recommend them!! The trick to application is using a flat-top brush and buffing it into the skin. They sell a fantastic brush for $10. If you search online there's plenty of tutorials on applying mineral make-up.