Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matching Bras and Undies

I'm obviously becoming undie-obsessed because I just had a flashback to my favourite style of undies. I used to wear them all the time in the 80s/early 90s but you can't get them now. They were called Tanga Briefs (the style not the brand) and they covered your tummy, had very thin sides but full bum coverage. Or maybe it's just because my tummy and bum were much smaller then!

Anyhow, comfy as. Now I can't get tummy and bum coverers unless I go for nana pants or boylegs.

Bring back Tangas!

Fiona, have you tried a french knicker - they give bum and tum cover and they look pretty sexy too.

Personally I think that if you can't find sets that are comfy then you aren't shopping in the right places.
    I have sets with all sorts of combos and often when I buy the bra I get a g-string and a larger pair to go with it so I have a choice of undies.

Yep, tried the french knicker Chloe but don't like the looseness - like to feel that all my bits and pieces are being held in place!

I do wear them but just not optimal.

From memory (it's not very good at the moment, preggy brain and all) I have never had matching bra and undies. No matter what age or size I was. I never saw the point in it. If I'm fully dressed no one would know, and if I'm getting comfy the bra is off anyway so it would just be for myself and as I said I don't see the point.

My fave undies are string bikini's. They are the most comfy (and I've tried them all over the years), but they are not all that easy to find. They are stretchy on the string bits on the side so they feel great - look like a g string from the front, a bikini from the back without the "wedgy feeling" you can get from a g and without the risk of infection.

Satya - THEY SOUND LIKE TANGAS!!!!

Maybe there is hope!

they don't generally come up very high though fiona.
    I've only ever seen hipster string bikkini's... and i hate them.
    I think they're terribly uncomfy.

I don't know, maybe it's just my boobs size wise, but i'm with Bath on this i think. I can't ever find matching sets that are comfy (when i can even manage to find matching sets that is)

Oh, there was tanga hope and now it's been snatched away.

So how come the 80s revival doesn't extend to undies?

I will just have to play my Smiths music tanga-less.

It's a cruel world.

I know the wind-swept mystical air
    It means : I'd like to see your underwear
    I recognise that mystical air
    It means : I'd like to seize your underwear
    What do we get for our trouble and pain ?
    Just a rented room in Whalley Range
    What do we get for our trouble and pain ?
    ...Whalley Range !
    Into the depths of the criminal world
    I followed her ...

The Smiths: Miserable Lie, extract.

I just couldn't resist!

Bath - pure genius to think of that song!!!

I was adapting one in my head:

"I was happy in the haze of a tanga hour, but heaven knows I'm miserable now."

Morrissey would NOT be impressed.

Who woulda thunk that such a frivolous thread about undies could take off on such a tangent?

Not genius, just a reflection of a mild obsession

I'll be keeping half an eye out for your Tangas next time I'm browsing the undies racks too!

ETA: Good grief, now I can't get Miserable Lie out of my head! I keep hearing Morrissey singing in his falsetto voice; "I need advice, i need advice... because nobody ever looks at me twice!"
    Last edited by Bathsheba; March 12th, 2008 at 09:26 PM.

I think tangas might be different as string bikinis sit very comfortably under my bump, but cover all the wobbly bits at the rear that need covering when you are past 40.

I think my problem with matching stuff could be my boob size too. I've always been a couple of sizes higher on the top half, and now that I'm a 18DD there's nothing nice that has no wires in them and virtually nothing that's maternity in that size in the shops.

Girls, girls, GIRLS.

When you buy matching undies (or a bikini) you should NEVER buy something that comes together. Find a shop that sells tops and bottoms that match, but you buy seperately. A size 10 bottom and a size 8 top, you get nasty pants or a loose top. So you buy seperates. Same for your undies.

You can get a nice pink floral bra in the right size, then find the pants to match in the right size. Do not just pick up the bra and hope the attached pants will fit. Therein lies madness.

I'm going to look out for these Tanga briefs... I'll let you know if I find them!

Astrid, would you mind just clarifying a little for me, I am feeling a little got-at by your last comment and I'm sure you don't mean it like that.

Yes, I agree RF - "matching" does not mean you have to buy the same size in bra and undies.

Otherwise I would be a 36D bra and a size 8 undies. Joking. VERY joking.

I'd love to have the cute matching sets I see hanging in the store. But unfortunately they NEVER come in my size, nor are there many (none!) for nursing mothers. The "plus-size/full-figure" ones are never good, because I find they only ever increase in band size, and still have a D or DD cup at most. Useless. I'm built a little bit weird, I guess - I've got a fairly small rib cage, and a big bust. (34H/I) Maybe I'll have to look at that UK website you were talking about and see if there's any possibilities there.
    Also, if you have a lovely bright patterned bra, how the heck do you keep that from being obvious through your clothing? Or do you just save that for "dark-shirt" days? I imagine DH would appreciate a little more "class" in the bra and underwear department - the plain white cotton I've got now isn't really all that hot!
    Off to do some online shopping!

ah Ryn, now I get it. TBH I've been feeling really confused as to how hard it is to find matching sets with comfy undies especially since the knickers rack under the bras usually has a couple of styles to choose from. Maybe they're seperates not sets.....

I find it funny that those of us who are not fussed about matching sets are assumed to not know how to shop. (trying to be humerous about this, rather than my initial reaction of being insulted ) Most times the bra is sold seperate to the pants, often I like the bra, but not the pants. You never know I could be one those people that feels sexier in saggy baggy granny undies, than in a pretty set

I remember the last matching set I bought, looked great on, but the bra actually squeaked when worn in normal circumstances, rather than in the change room! Ended up having to throw it, won't buy that brand ever again.

Theres nothing like walking down the street after a bad day - and a brand new sexy set of underwear underneath. One of the best feelings ever!

Cricket - i have the weird body type like you!! You're not alone, i'm not alone... thank goodness was thinking i was THE only one...
    Although im a 38 since being pregnant which has made it slightly easier, but totally get your point!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast