Thread: How healthy is a slow cooker?

Question How healthy is a slow cooker?

I am winning the battle with DH to get a slow cooker... but there is a question hanging around I am not sure of...

How healthy are they?!?!?! What I'm actually meaning is fat content. I know that it will largely depend on what we throw in it... but we use a George Forman to cook meat at the moment which drains all the fat away and reduces how much you eat (fat that is!!!) but with a slow cooker... it doesn't drain anywhere!!! So, how healthy are they?

AND, can I do fish in it?

TIA!

MG

Not sure about fish, but with the fat, when I cook a casserole/stew in the oven or on the stove, I always let it completely cool once it's cooked and the fat wil rise to the top, and harden when it's cold. Then I just scoop it off and reheat it. You can minimise it too with the choice of meat cuts and ingredients you use in it too.

i think there is a George Foreman brand slow cooker.. I think so anyway. I am sure i saw one when i was looking - maybe in Target or Harvey Norman - but mum ended up getting mine and got me a Breville.

I do the same as Sherie with fatty cuts - chill and scoop.

Yep, we chill & get the fat off too.

Must admit we use it at least once a week for delicious casseroles and soups, I'd be lost without it

The cuts of meat that I would grill probably aren't the same as the ones I would put in the SC. One of the great things about the SC is that it makes cheap cuts of meat tender and delicious.

Slow cookers are brilliant. Nothing quite like arriving home to the smell of something delicious in the pot!

I used to scoop the fat off, as above. I did know someone who would 'pre-boil' meat, to get off excess fat, especially with sausages or mince. Not so sure about that one, though.

I love slow cookers when I'm busy and its the middle of winter! Nothing like being out in the cold all day rushing about and then coming home to a house smelling of delicious dinner ready to eat!

I haven't tried the chilling and scooping method before I might try it.

I haven't tried to cook fish in the slow cooker but I have a few recipies of seafood dishes for the slow cooker if you want.

I love my slow cooker, great for soups and curries.

I find that lamb will obviously be the fattiest but it doesn't bother me, that's the best part about lamb But if you make sure you are getting lean cuts of meat I don't think it should be too much of a problem.

Thanks everyone. I will chat with DH again...