Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the best Slow Cooker to buy?

yes bigger is definitely better

So what is a good size for a 4 person family? Just wondering as KMart & Big W both have some slow cookers on sale this week but they mostly seem to be about a 4L cookers.

Get the biggest. I have a 6.5L one and I could cook for 8-10 in there, but I also cook for 3 some nights with no leftovers. (Well, cook for 2 with one meal leftover for DH's lunch the next day.)

I did for 6 in it on Sunday, I think it was only half-full with that. The advantage of a larger SC is that you don't have to cook for so long if you don't have time, so I can put on my SC at 8am and have a big SC lunch at 1pm if I want, or get dinner ready in the afternoon when I'm in a baking mood, not have to run around doing it in the morning when I want to be sweeping and vacuuming.

(Aagh, not want, need. Or "have to". Who wants to clean?)

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Yep, bigger is always better. And with the size of your family Rayla you'll need the bigger one, even if you have leftovers they can be frozen and used later on.

Go bigger for sure. I have a 5 litre one and at times I find it's not big enough. With 4 males in the house. Sure one is only 4 but the teenagers sure make up for it.

Which SC did you end up getting Natalie ?

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Question What is the best Slow Cooker to buy?

Hi all,
    I can't help but notice how many of you rave about your slow cooker - I think I need one too! What is the best brand to buy and how much did you pay?

Many thanks
    CC

I think any are good, I got a big one but I tend to coiok in bulk anyways as I buy in bulk & freeze meals for the following week/s...
    But I dont think any are Not good????

I have a Russel Hobbs 6.5L. Its a bit bigger than we need at the moment so its never very full when I cook a casserole etc but its just the right size to roast a lamb leg in so I'm glad its not smaller. I figure that as the boys grow up they're going to eat lots more so in a few yaers it will be the right size for our casseroles too.
    I have noticed that it seems to cook a bit faster than other peoples and another Russel Hobbs owner has noticed the same thing.
    It was a gift so I'm not sure how much it cost.

*bump*

Default Slow Cooker - where do I start?

Hi ladies
    I am most intrigued by the passionate slow cooker following on this site (and others) and am thinking of buying a slow cooker to try.
    I would love your feedback as to what I should be looking for in a slow cooker what you love or hate about yours?
    TIA Belinda.

Timer switch is handy - I wish mine had one.
    A big capacity, so you can make double and freeze some (I do this all the time!)
    Two heat levels (most have this)
    Think bowl to evenly distribute the heat.
    Sturdy lid - I've heard that fragile ones can break easily (esp if you are clumsy like me!)
    Also make sure the bowl can fit in your fridge as I often assemble the night before, leave in fridge overnight and then cook in the morning.

I use my slow cooker weekly at least and my hubby loves anything I make in the slow cooker!

PS. Shop around - mine was $30 cheaper at Myer than Target at the time!

Default Tips on buying a slow cooker

Hi Everyone!!!

I really really want to buy a slow cooker and have been doing some research on brands etc. At the moment there is only 2 of us so I guess we won't be needing a big bumper slow cooker.

I have heard that you can get ones that cook risotto as well - that would be a bonus.

Any tips of brands, what to look for etc. I've read that it's best to get one that is stainless inside instead of ceramic, and that it's a good idea to get one that you can programme manually. However I have seen a lot that have only 3 settings - low, high and auto. Also George Forman has just released one in Oz, but it seems super cheap - like $38. I would really appreciate any info anyone can give me as I'm ready to make a purchase so I can get cracking on some of these yummy recipes and also make my life a bit easier in terms of cooking dinner.

Default Slow Cooker Questions

Hi all

Am seriously thinking about getting a slow cooker and actually using it. I have a had a quick read in the slow cooker general chatter but cant seem to find any answers to my questions so thought i may start a new thread. So here is what id love to know-

* Can or do you leave your slow cooker on during the day while you go to work or out? I am a little worried as we have a feathered family member who lives inside and i wouldnt want anything to happen to him just coz i wanted dinner ready when i got home.

* What is a good brand slow cooker? I dont mind paying more if it is better... ie cooks better, more durable, easier to clean etc

* A question DH had which i think is rather odd but here goes- Does the meat taste "stewed" ? I dont really understand it but um he likes tender meats such as the beef in monogolian beef from the chinese restaurant but doesnt like when i cook say stroganoff and the water comes out then it cooks in it coz he says its "stewed" (maybe he should just eat chinese every night heheheh)

* Does it make, making dinner easier? I know there is still the preparation but then at least there is no stirring etc..

Thanks in advance, am looking forward to reading replies and talking and explaining to DH why we really need one

* Can or do you leave your slow cooker on during the day while you go to work or out? I am a little worried as we have a feathered family member who lives inside and i wouldnt want anything to happen to him just coz i wanted dinner ready when i got home. I leave it on while I'm at work. I'm only away at the most 8 hours but yep.

* What is a good brand slow cooker? I dont mind paying more if it is better... ie cooks better, more durable, easier to clean etc ours is a Sunbeam 4.5ltr and we've had it 5 years now.

* A question DH had which i think is rather odd but here goes- Does the meat taste "stewed" ? I dont really understand it but um he likes tender meats such as the beef in monogolian beef from the chinese restaurant but doesnt like when i cook say stroganoff and the water comes out then it cooks in it coz he says its "stewed" (maybe he should just eat chinese every night heheheh) honestly, sometimes yep it can taste stewed. The thing is not to shy away from adding flavour.

* Does it make, making dinner easier? I know there is still the preparation but then at least there is no stirring etc.. I couldn't work an 8 hour day with 2 kids without it. Or I could, but we couldn't eat healthier food options.

Default Slow Cooker

*I leave mine on during the day also. My brother in law who is a fireman gives me a rap across the knuckles when I tell him this but everyone I know that uses them has never had any problems and I figure you leave your fridge plugged in all day so it can?t be that different.

*I also use a sunbeam. I would recommend you go for the oval shaped one rather than the round one. That way you can fit in a whole leg of lamb easily. The round one makes it a bit of a struggle. And the pot part that cooks the meat lifts strait out and into the sink for easy washing.

*I guess it can taste a little stewed depending on what your cooking and what your cooking with it. As mentioned above we do a leg of lamb with a little rosemary in it all the time and everyone always raves about how tender it is. Just falls off the bone. Shanks are also great or Osso Bucco. Depending on what your cooking you can also just through your vegetables in there also. It also keeps your shopping bill down as slow cooking is better with the cheaper cuts of meat.

* They are great when you are cooking for a lot of people. You can just chuck it all in the pot and forget about it while you run around the house panicking that the house is a mess and all that. It is also so nice to come home from work on a winter night and smell something delish cooking as soon as you walk through the door.

I think most brands are pretty much the same, just make sure you get one big enough to do anything and everything. Once you have tried it your will want to use it a lot in the winter months.

Lolly

We have an oval Ronson 6 litre and i love it!
    We go out and leave it on and never had a problem
    Sometimes the meat tastes a little stewed, but as Christy says, experiment with flavours so it tastes better
    It makes dinner in our house alot easier, meaning we actually get some and it's homecooked and healthy.

I also put legs of lamb and roast beef in mine and it tastes alot better than any roast i've put in the oven, the meat just falls apart and melts in your mouth!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast